Metal Storm logo
Soundgarden - Chris Cornell Dead At Age 52

The Associated Press just shared the shocking news that Soundgarden's frontman Chris Cornell has passed away. Cornell was born and raised in Seattle, Washington and formed Soundgarden back in 1984 with Kim Thayil and Hiro Yamamoto. He was also the vocalist of Audioslave and the short-lived Temple Of The Dog. Cornell also released four solo studio albums and a solo live album. According to his representative, Chris Cornell died on Wednesday night in Detroit at the age of 52. R.I.P.

Brian Bumbery said in a statement that Cornell had performed a Detroit concert with Soundgarden that night. The medical examiner has determined that singer Chris Cornell committed suicide by hanging. He was found dead in a Detroit hotel room on Wednesday (May 17) night.

Bumbery called the death "sudden and unexpected" and said his wife and family were shocked by it. The statement said the family would be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause and asked for privacy.

Cornell was one of grunge's leading voices with Soundgarden, out of Seattle's music scene.

Photo: Ross Halfin Photography

Source: apnews.com
Band profile: Soundgarden
Posted: 18.05.2017 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 32   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 342 users
18.05.2017 - 14:10
VIG
Account deleted
Wow...I'm really surprised, he was really popular, and only 52. I used to be a big fan of his, but I haven't listened to him in a while. I will be listening to some old Soundgarden today in memory of him.
18.05.2017 - 14:20
Kais

Never really liked him nor his band(s), but I do acknowledge his importance to the world of rock and metal. This is a heavy loss. May he rest in peace.
18.05.2017 - 14:51
OpenMind

Wow, so young !!!!!! Rest in Peace Chris !!!!!!!!
18.05.2017 - 15:24
Devil Eyes

WHAT?!

Man that SUCKS. Totally unexpected news when I fired up MetalStorm this morning. I'm just shocked at this.....so young....only a few years older than me.

Damn....

Well .R.I.P. Chris, you sure made the 90's better for me, and I will definitely be listening to all your old shit today in tribute.
18.05.2017 - 15:35
Diverge

This man's vocal performances were some of the reasons I got into metal to begin with. Needless to say, I'm shocked. RIP Cornell.
18.05.2017 - 15:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
:-(
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2017 - 16:11
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
What a shame, used to jam Badmotorfinger and Superunknown pretty often back in high school and still do now and then. Those albums and Chris Cornell definitely have a special place in my heart for helping me get through some tough times. The guy will definitely be missed
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.05.2017 - 16:11
BlankFile

One the most influential artists of the 90´s and so on. Shocking news for sure.

My he rest in piece.
18.05.2017 - 16:24
DarkGardenCat

Shit. It's hard to believe. The World lost a great singer. Fucking love Audioslave. Really sad news...
18.05.2017 - 16:35
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Another rock legend has died too soon

18.05.2017 - 16:50
a MasT

Life is short and fragile for sure, rest in peace
18.05.2017 - 17:13
nikarg

Written by Auntie Sahar on 18.05.2017 at 16:11

What a shame, used to jam Badmotorfinger and Superunknown pretty often back in high school and still do now and then. Those albums and Chris Cornell definitely have a special place in my heart for helping me get through some tough times. The guy will definitely be missed

Exactly what I wanted to say, love those two albums. I remember watching the video of Jesus Christ Pose on MTV's Headbanger's Ball for the first time. Bought Badmotorfinger the following day. Three out of the four greatest grunge vocalists are dead now, only Eddie left
18.05.2017 - 17:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
His voice was very unique. A great loss for sure...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.05.2017 - 17:29
athena

R.I.P. to a great talent.
18.05.2017 - 17:53
Maco
Pvt Funderground
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
18.05.2017 - 18:45
Jiri

RIP Cornell.
18.05.2017 - 18:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Reading reports that they are investigating his death as a suicide, he was found in the bathroom with a band around his neck.

None of this is official for now though.
----

My Instagram
18.05.2017 - 19:48
Czerny Reiter

Just like suicide...

This is a great loss to me, Soundgarden was an essential part of my formative years of listening to music.

Superbly talented man, a charismatic voice and a focal point for teenage rebellious feeling.

May he rest in peace.
18.05.2017 - 20:28
cynicoren

Death, a rusty cage that cannot be broken. RIP Chris.
18.05.2017 - 20:41
Ruchesko

You were always better than Cobain. We know your name.
18.05.2017 - 21:30
nikarg

Written by BloodTears on 18.05.2017 at 18:58

Reading reports that they are investigating his death as a suicide, he was found in the bathroom with a band around his neck.

It's official now. He killed himself.
18.05.2017 - 21:33
Pimpelmee
Amazing Mapman
Sad sad sad

(why isn't there an Audioslave-profile on Metalstorm?)
18.05.2017 - 21:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by nikarg on 18.05.2017 at 21:30

Written by BloodTears on 18.05.2017 at 18:58

It's official now. He killed himself.

This is so sad... I'll add the info to the news.
----

My Instagram
18.05.2017 - 21:44
nikarg

Written by BloodTears on 18.05.2017 at 21:41

This is so sad... I'll add the info to the news.

Yeah it's awful... He left three children behind too...
18.05.2017 - 21:52
Ocean Sage

I can't stop crying. I have loved Soundgarden since I was a kid. Chris' words, voice, and music really spoke to me and helped me mature a lot over the years. I can't help but think of how empathetic and sincere he sounds on 4th of July or Like Suicide like he really felt their pain. R.I.P. Chris Cornell
18.05.2017 - 22:57
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I was never into Soundgarden, but I really really like Audioslave. His voice was definitely up with those of the greatest. If only someone could've show him how to live...
----
18.05.2017 - 23:41
Necrodamus

Very tough to believe that he's gone. A grunge legend just like the others (Staley, Cobain). Drugs and mental illness take a toll on you, and suicide is never a way out. RIP.
18.05.2017 - 23:48
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I'm saddened by this. I didn't like the most recent Soundgarden album very much, but watching them perform live in recent years it was clear to me that Chris had reclaimed his great voice from the 90s and I was hoping they'd release something better soon. Basically, it really seemed to me like Chris was on the right track, so this news really caught me by surprise...

RIP - your music has shaped my life
19.05.2017 - 03:46
Winter Heathen

Sad day.
----
Power metal incarnate.
19.05.2017 - 06:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Jesus Christ Pose was the first song I ever acquainted and the first thing that strikes was vocals. Before even knowing the person behind it, I came across a live show of Soundgarden on YouTube where Chris Cornell was pulling down chants of "In The Jesus Christ Pose". It was amazing.

"Would it pain you more to walk on water
Than to wear a crown of thorns?
It wouldn't pain me more to bury you rich
Than to bury you poor,

In the Jesus Christ pose.."

Now his demise said to be suicide. That's even more saddening.

This is absolute truth. As quoted in Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace,

Quote:
The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.

RIP, man.

Hits total: 5217 | This month: 11