Metal Storm logo
How to stop the rot? Suggestions.

29.08.2017 - 00:49
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Background: corpse, death and so on... Some bystanders looking on when it took place.

If you are one of the ignorant staff members that thinks threads like this is bullshit - dont read it.

My suggestions. You probably have better ones.
1. Getting people from bandcamp. Bands that I like on bandcamp have fans. Here they dont have any fans. People just dont find this place. Albums that have been reviewed here should always have a link to MS in the albums comment section on bc.

2. Having active staff. I am a regular here, but I dont know more than 5 staff members. The rest dont post and seems to be quite uninterested whats going on with music these days. They might work backstage but to a regular it seems they are staff on old merits.

3. Promote posters. This was one of the last suggestion JOOE had before leaving. Building a forum on voting is gonna be quite dull. And if there is any relation between posts and votes rating abuse and other childish things are gone.

4. Carrots for people who add stuff. I like the idea of people contributing and by that way bonding. But those people should be awarded and in the end this is a qustion of who should add bands to the database.

5. Change the rating system. A scale from 7-10 is better to awoid hate. If you think its worse then dont vote. Nobody believes in objectivity when it comes to taste anymore so if you think its worse than 7 you probably dont get it or cant do much in a creativity way with the material you are listening to. Giving 5 to an album that others who actually listened to it love will only show how uninterested and ignorant you are.

6. Make a Metal Storm youtube channel. The guys in the rec thread are first with many of the new releases.
Sorry for my horrible English. Too lazy to change anything.
29.08.2017 - 08:44
Paz

The fifth point is hilarious.
29.08.2017 - 13:21
Zap
Yeah, let's pretend bad albums don't exist so we don't hurt anyone's feelings who might like it. Grow up.
29.08.2017 - 14:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nr 2 l.ol I have to agree whit it some seems don't write much for MS , nice that there are few more who sees it.
European concert reviews are dead.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.08.2017 - 15:42
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Dahell? He deleted his profile and said was going to come back again later again on the sb?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.08.2017 - 15:53
Paz

He won't find a better forum on the net and therefore will come back
29.08.2017 - 16:35
Polaria

Written by Karlabos on 29.08.2017 at 15:42

Dahell? He deleted his profile and said was going to come back again later again on the sb?

Yeah... I guess it is just to make a point. People are weird sometimes.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
03.09.2017 - 03:14
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Paz on 29.08.2017 at 08:44

The fifth point is hilarious.

It's good news for everyone who likes bands with low ratings. Everyone else just doesn't get it and is showing how uninterested they are. Would be curious to see if he gave out any votes under 7.
Written by Zap on 29.08.2017 at 13:21

Yeah, let's pretend bad albums don't exist so we don't hurt anyone's feelings who might like it. Grow up.

If I don't see (hear?) it, it doesn't exist.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.09.2017 - 17:51
VIG
Account deleted
The fifth point is so unbelievably stupid.
04.09.2017 - 15:52
VIG
Account deleted
There was a MS YouTube channel with some video interviews on it, but I don't know if it's still active. I don't think that having a YT will do anything more for MS, though. I think everything is fine how it is, more people just have to be more active than they are on here, that's all.
04.09.2017 - 15:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 04.09.2017 at 15:52

There was a MS YouTube channel with some video interviews on it, but I don't know if it's still active. I don't think that having a YT will do anything more for MS, though. I think everything is fine how it is, more people just have to be more active than they are on here, that's all.

MS interview section is dead.
----

apos;'
[image]
04.09.2017 - 15:58
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 04.09.2017 at 15:56

Written by Guest on 04.09.2017 at 15:52

MS interview section is dead.

Yeah, that too, I know that. I was just saying how there was a Youtube channel with video interviews.
06.09.2017 - 01:21
Czerny Reiter

The review section needs to be democratized.

"Guest Reviews" (leveraged by a lack of exclusivity policy) are the mainstay that made MA what it is today.

If there are no active staff members to issue official reviews and the few that are left start feeling pressured for output, this decline will continue.

A limited staff should primarily deal with editorial work, leaving the user base with the task of generating content.
06.09.2017 - 03:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Czerny Reiter on 06.09.2017 at 01:21

The review section needs to be democratized.

"Guest Reviews" (leveraged by a lack of exclusivity policy) are the mainstay that made MA what it is today.

everybody can write a guest revive, its not hard just do it. It wont show up on main page but still be under album.

If there are no active staff members to issue official reviews and the few that are left start feeling pressured for output, this decline will continue.

Its true, sad but true.

A limited staff should primarily deal with editorial work, leaving the user base with the task of generating content.

It was in old days, everybody done everything. I miss those days

----

apos;'
[image]
07.09.2017 - 21:32
Ruchesko

I half-expected suggestion #7 to be "drop the ban on NSBM and change the site's name to Metal Stormer"...
08.09.2017 - 13:55
The Melting Snow

I actually agree with point #5. A scale of 1 to 10 gives too much room for abuse. People who give 1's to albums would certainly give out 1's even if the range is 1 to 10000, and hence destroy the overall rating. I hope you get the point.

Personally, I don't think any album ever made deserves a 1, 2 or 3 etc. Most albums I rate end up getting a 7, 8 or 9. Anything below 5 or 6, i probably wouldnt care opening their page and wasting my time giving them points, only if i'm looking to destroy their rating

Make it 1-5, or 1-3.
08.09.2017 - 17:35
Zap
Written by The Melting Snow on 08.09.2017 at 13:55

Personally, I don't think any album ever made deserves a 1, 2 or 3 etc.

Listened to mainstream radio stations lately?

If you don't think anything deserves a 1 or 2, then you're just not using the full range of the rating scale. 1's are reserved for the worst things you've heard and 10's for the best. Rating the worst thing you've ever heard a 4 doesn't make sense.

If your favorite album is a 10 and you discover something better, you're not going to add 11 to your scale, you're going to adjust your ratings so that your runner-up becomes a 9. Same goes vice versa.
12.09.2017 - 10:53
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Quote:
Written by The Melting Snow on 08.09.2017 at 13:55

Personally, I don't think any album ever made deserves a 1, 2 or 3 etc.

I agree on that point. Well, 1 and probably 2, anyway. I've got a pair of 3s in my cd collection. Anything genuinely a 1 wouldn't have been released by any label anyway, so only self released stuff would come out that's that bad.

Written by Zap on 08.09.2017 at 17:35

Listened to mainstream radio stations lately?

Still not 1 worthy. More like 2-5 mostly.
Written by Zap on 08.09.2017 at 17:35

If they're all playing the same song and can passably play their instruments, it's not a 1. 1 is a flatulent monkey randomly bashing kittens with a bicycle horn while scratching it's nails down a blackboard.

But I'm going by the wording attached to the ratings. Personally, I'd like 6 to be reworded. Average isn't really appropriate. Decent, ok, fine, not bad?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
14.09.2017 - 02:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Not one staffer has commented here in nearly 2 weeks...
----
rekt
15.09.2017 - 01:18
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by tea[m]ster on 14.09.2017 at 02:29

Not one staffer has commented here in nearly 2 weeks...

Refer to point #2
----
- Reimu Hakurei
15.10.2017 - 23:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I see his account has since been deleted, but a lot of these points have been brought up before, so hopefully I can preemptively address some concerns from some folks looking to raise them in new threads.

Quote:

If you are one of the ignorant staff members that thinks threads like this is bullshit - dont read it.

Small word of advice: If you want your suggestion thread to be taken seriously, try not to sound like an asshole in the OP.

Quote:

1. Getting people from bandcamp. Bands that I like on bandcamp have fans. Here they dont have any fans. People just dont find this place. Albums that have been reviewed here should always have a link to MS in the albums comment section on bc.

Not a bad suggestion actually, but a question of manpower. This should address many other points; we can only do as much as free time allows. This is not a job for any of us. Ensuring BC posts just adds another step that makes reviewing that much more time consuming.

Quote:

2. Having active staff. I am a regular here, but I dont know more than 5 staff members. The rest dont post and seems to be quite uninterested whats going on with music these days. They might work backstage but to a regular it seems they are staff on old merits.

This has come up a few times, and to be honest it does piss off some staff, for good reason. Why? Because there is way more going on behind the scenes than youd think: boring, tedious, but necessary work. Unpaid. This point sort of shits all over that work.

More importantly:
IT IS VOLUNTEER. I can't stress that point enough. As someone (former E.I.C) responsible for recruiting content producers, I can say beyond any doubt finding staffers is way, way, WAY easier said than done. Out of all the people I brought in for official content, I'd say maybe 1 in 10 actually stuck around for more than 1 or 2 reviews.

Quote:

3. Promote posters. This was one of the last suggestion JOOE had before leaving. Building a forum on voting is gonna be quite dull. And if there is any relation between posts and votes rating abuse and other childish things are gone.

I'm not sure if I see the point, frankly. Forums in general all over the web are going the way of the dodo. With social media (twitter, facebook etc), people just aren't using forums as much any more. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think any action taken in that regard will slow the inevitable, not really boost forum activity in any meaningful way. The forums will always be here, I just don't think anything will bring them back to the glory days.

Quote:

4. Carrots for people who add stuff. I like the idea of people contributing and by that way bonding. But those people should be awarded and in the end this is a qustion of who should add bands to the database.

I thought thats what we already did? Reward contributors with more control over the database. Maybe someone more involved in the DB can address this, it was never my area to begin with.

Quote:

5. Change the rating system. A scale from 7-10 is better to awoid hate. If you think its worse then dont vote. Nobody believes in objectivity when it comes to taste anymore so if you think its worse than 7 you probably dont get it or cant do much in a creativity way with the material you are listening to. Giving 5 to an album that others who actually listened to it love will only show how uninterested and ignorant you are.

Difficult to approach this one seriously...here goes:
Some people dislike albums you don't like. Get over it. If they rated it a 5 it doesn't mean they never listened to it.

Narrowing it to 7-10 would render the feature utterly pointless. Some people genuinely don't like some things, if it bothers you that much, then disregard the feature.

Quote:

6. Make a Metal Storm youtube channel. The guys in the rec thread are first with many of the new releases.

I think this has been lightly explored. Didn't gain much traction. Maybe an idea to reopen discussions on in the future.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.10.2017 - 23:21
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 15.10.2017 at 23:14

Quote:

Small word of advice: If you want your suggestion thread to be taken seriously, try not to sound like an asshole in the OP.

Precisely why I couldn't stand LoG.
16.10.2017 - 00:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 15.10.2017 at 23:21

I couldn't stand LoG.

Brace yourself. He will be back
----
- Reimu Hakurei
16.10.2017 - 01:17
VIG