03. Achingly Beautiful
04. Wester Vespertine
05. The Seductiveness Of Decay
06. Vengeful Spirit
07. You Will Know The Lion By His Claw
08. Death And The Maiden
09. The Night At Catafalque Manor [bonus]
10. Alison Hell [Annihilator cover] [bonus]

We go way back, Dani and I. When I first heard The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh in 1995, I was put off by the vocals, but I thought the music was too good to let the shrieking spaz spoil it for me. Once I heard Vempire the following year, I was hooked. Years later I was sad to see that after Midian Cradle Of Filth began to tumble into mediocrity. 2015's Hammer of the Witches was surprisingly good, but it had me wondering whether it was a one-off, or the band was really back in top-notch form. I'm very happy to report that the increase in quality seems to hold. Or even rise.

Mr. Davey must've come to a conclusion that delving into the territories of accessibility, and thus slowing and dumbing down the band's musical style at the beginning of the noughties was not a good idea. Instead he decided to build further on what made Hammer of the Witches so good, and add a bit too. Listen to the title track, Iron Maiden makes an appearance there. Check "Heartbreak and Seance" for some well-done bridge tapping. But these are only small embellishments to what is the core of the album - very strong songwriting, deeply rooted in the musical style of their heyday, somewhere between Vempire and Cruelty And The Beast.

Each and every song contains numerous hooks that make it stand out. How is this possible? There are no two similar compositions on the album. The very gothic "Heartbreak and Seance" boasts some of the meanest riffs on the album and some outstanding, delicate female singing laid against a backdrop of super-fast drum blasts. The blistering neck-breaker that is "Achingly Beautiful" simply reeks of "Dusk and Her Embrace", but what a sweet reek it is - it's building upon the old sound, not mindlessly copying it. The atmospheric "Vengeful Spirit" brings back Liv Kristine to form the lightest song here. Add to that the monumental, ultra-heavy juggernaut that is "Death and the Maiden", the riff-fest called "You Will Know The Lion By His Claw", and my personal favourite, "The Night At Catafalque Manor" - a direct homage to Cruelty And The Beast (listen to "Thirteen Autumns And A Widow" to verify). Every single song is a win. If I were to nitpick, "Wester Vespertine" is slightly less impressive, but only slightly.

It takes a while to get into Cryptoriana. The dainty songwriting and rich textures that every song comprises are not too apparent after a few listens. But said guitar hooks make you listen to the album again and again, to catch all of them. The chase after the hooks reveals layers and layers of rich arrangements, and even more great riffs - kudos to the still-kind-of-new duo of axemen, Ashok and Richard Shaw. The drummer is great as usual, his cymbal work is exquisite, even though his drum fills could use a bit of variety. Dani Filth is in great shape too, showing his usual vocal versatility.

You might complain that the band is going back to their roots to appease the fans. I myself am glad that they returned to what they can do best. So did Overkill, Kreator, and many, many more bands (take a hint, Opeth!). After all, during their long and impressive career Cradle Of Filth managed to craft their own, unique style. It's great to see, that after so many years they can still squeeze a lot of quality from that style. The style that made them a band that they are now. One of a kind.

Written on 26.09.2017 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 494 users
26.09.2017 - 10:51
s_t_s

Well I have only started reading this review and that was enough to disagree with the author I've followed the band since Dusk and Her Embrace and have enjoyed all of their experiments including Thornography yet I think that their latest albums lack something to make them memorable. Even though I bought Hammer Of The Witches I don't listen to it quite often and at the moment I don't even feel like buying this new album. Am I the only one thinking so ?
26.09.2017 - 12:33
Rating: 7
Hellcult

Written by s_t_s on 26.09.2017 at 10:51

Well I have only started reading this review and that was enough to disagree with the author I've followed the band since Dusk and Her Embrace and have enjoyed all of their experiments including Thornography yet I think that their latest albums lack something to make them memorable. Even though I bought Hammer Of The Witches I don't listen to it quite often and at the moment I don't even feel like buying this new album. Am I the only one thinking so ?

Agree,

Like someone said Cradle of Filth got lack of 'filth' these days and i personally think there is a bit to much Gothic as well. If a whole record would sound like 'You Will Know The Lion By His Heart' than this album would be much much better! 7/8
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
26.09.2017 - 12:37
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi

I'm really looking forward to listen to this now! I've realised that I actually enjoy CoF extremely much, and will soon make a deep delve into their discography again.

Good review!
26.09.2017 - 12:55
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Hellcult on 26.09.2017 at 12:33

Like someone said Cradle of Filth got lack of 'filth' these days and i personally think there is a bit to much Gothic as well.

But their best albums have a lot of gothic elements. CoF are who they are also because of these gothic elements.
26.09.2017 - 13:11
Hellcult

Written by Daniell on 26.09.2017 at 12:55

Written by Hellcult on 26.09.2017 at 12:33

Like someone said Cradle of Filth got lack of 'filth' these days and i personally think there is a bit to much Gothic as well.

But their best albums have a lot of gothic elements. CoF are who they are also because of these gothic elements.

Yes of course but sometimes there is just to much of it and it lacks something original, something that made COF combined those Black/Gothic metal elements so well.
I don't dislike this record, it's not bad at all but something just isn't there
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
26.09.2017 - 13:56
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Hellcult on 26.09.2017 at 13:11

Yes of course but sometimes there is just to much of it and it lacks something original, something that made COF combined those Black/Gothic metal elements so well.

Again, you're right. But if the band continues their musical style, their late albums can't be as original as their best, formative albums. Their formula is proven and their own, I'd hate to see them veer away from it.
26.09.2017 - 16:33
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
"It's great to see, that after so many years they can still squeeze a lot of quality from that style. The style that made them a band that they are now."

Well, the fact that only one original member is still part of the band may have something to do with CoF's ability to reinvent "them"-selves. I'd rather say the present line-up did their homework and listened to their predecessors' work and built on it.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
27.09.2017 - 00:41
Rating: 8
Malignar

Hammer was a pleasant surprise. The new guitarists are some serious shredders and have injected life back into CoF. Very nice production on this album. I prefer the more aggressive black metal CoF and this album kinda lacks in that department. Still light years better than the Thornagraphy era, definitely worth the purchase.

Edit: I have listened through this a couple times and this is a bit too much gothic rock as others have said. Zero unhinged anything. This probably wouldn't even qualify for extreme metal. I won't be returning to this very often.
27.09.2017 - 00:55
Rating: 6
Opethian

Now I have to buy and witness it for myself! Thanks
27.09.2017 - 06:42
Andresopeth

I don't know why but I find difficult to remember songs of any of the latest three Cradle Of Filth albums.
-Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversa.
-The Manticore And Other Horrors.
-Hammer Of The Witches.

Actually I loved Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder. But those albums seems to me very forgetable, could be my fault since I am not that much into that style at this stage of my life or could be them who are not impresses me anymore.

Anyway, I am listening their new effort while I am writing this. Let's see. Hoping to remember it.
27.09.2017 - 11:42
s_t_s

Written by Andresopeth on 27.09.2017 at 06:42

I don't know why but I find difficult to remember songs of any of the latest three Cradle Of Filth albums.
-Darkly, Darkly Venus Aversa.
-The Manticore And Other Horrors.
-Hammer Of The Witches.

Actually I loved Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder. But those albums seems to me very forgetable, could be my fault since I am not that much into that style at this stage of my life or could be them who are not impresses me anymore.

Anyway, I am listening their new effort while I am writing this. Let's see. Hoping to remember it.

Godspeed is also one of my favourite with good old timers Midian and Cruelty and The Beast but like I said i enjoy all of their albums incl Darkly Venus Aversa (it has some memorable tracks such as The Desperation Song only to name one). As for Manticore and Witches (to make them short) I'm not sure I can name a single track. This album isn't bad, except for one awful song (the bonus one ?) but has nothing special either.

I think that Dani has really made progress with Devilment though, his side band, being more into heavy metal.
27.09.2017 - 16:15
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by s_t_s on 27.09.2017 at 11:42

This album isn't bad, except for one awful song (the bonus one ?) but has nothing special either.

If you mean the last track Alison Hell - it's an Annihiliator cover, thus completely different from the rest of the album.
28.09.2017 - 17:50
Ziom

Dani Filth is the only original member. Yet, as I understand - he doesn't write any music, only "produces" (whatever that means). He doesn't even play any instruments. So, the main composer from Midian till Manticore was Paul Allender. His work wasn't "bad", he simply was forced/forced himself to write too much, too long material. Everything between Midian and Mantiore only needed a knife to cut out unnecessary boring pieces. But they were going for 70+ mins each time. They only needed 35-45 IMO.
29.09.2017 - 08:37
s_t_s

Written by Ziom on 28.09.2017 at 17:50

Dani Filth is the only original member. Yet, as I understand - he doesn't write any music, only "produces" (whatever that means). He doesn't even play any instruments. So, the main composer from Midian till Manticore was Paul Allender. His work wasn't "bad", he simply was forced/forced himself to write too much, too long material. Everything between Midian and Mantiore only needed a knife to cut out unnecessary boring pieces. But they were going for 70+ mins each time. They only needed 35-45 IMO.

Well that's your opinion and I disagree. Isn't Dany writing lyrics ? Then most frontmen are nothing more than vocalist and lyrics writers. Besides I really miss the "opera" feeling in CoF latest albums. I love Damnation And A Day or Godspeed On The Devils's Thunder with their narrative introductions !
05.10.2017 - 21:09
garmling
Account deleted
IMO this album is JUST interesting (good), nothing more... There are some good parts here and there, but in general it's nothing special. The best songs are Exquisite Torments Await (for some reason reminds me of Vempire opening song) and The Night At Catafalque Manor (bonus track with some heavy Cruelty and Dusk influences)... The rest is so so... Old COF classics (Cruelty, Dusk, Vempire, Midian) are miles ahead of this imo.....
06.10.2017 - 13:17
Philly_Boy

Best since Midian !
06.10.2017 - 15:36
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Philly_Boy on 06.10.2017 at 13:17

Best since Midian !

Exactly!
13.10.2017 - 11:33
nikarg

The penultimate paragraph says it all. Although I never particularly liked CoF, your review convinced me to give it a spin and I'm very pleased I did. Very enjoyable album.
22.10.2017 - 17:06
terroriser

Written by nikarg on 13.10.2017 at 11:33

The penultimate paragraph says it all. Although I never particularly liked CoF, your review convinced me to give it a spin and I'm very pleased I did. Very enjoyable album.

I just read the review it seems to me that I had similar experience of CoF: anything after Cruelty was just poor at some point I just didn't bother with CoF any more.

But after reading it I thing Ill give it a go. And share my thoughts here
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
04.11.2017 - 20:22
terroriser

Well. Two weeks and 10 spins later.

Its not Cruelty. And that is the biggest fault of this album. Like nikarg pointed above: Very enjoyable album (but its not Cruelty)
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
22.11.2017 - 16:26
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by terroriser on 04.11.2017 at 20:22

Well. Two weeks and 10 spins later.

Its not Cruelty. And that is the biggest fault of this album. Like nikarg pointed above: Very enjoyable album (but its not Cruelty)

Yes, it's not Cruelty. Cradle of Filth will never release another Cruelty, because they released it in 1998. If it's CoF's peak in your opinion, it's fine. But do not expect them to ever top your favourite release. It will never happen. Do you know why? Because you've been expecting them to do so for the last 19 years. You expectations are so sky high, and CoF can't impress you again to the same extent.
14.12.2017 - 04:40
goatofgod

I like it. Actually the first time checking out CoF. Dani sounds like a tea kettle holy fack! And I mean that in a good way haha! Killer riffs as well, will be headbangin to this while doing some ear stretchin this weekend
18.03.2018 - 16:15
MiguelNova

Well, to be honest I love this album. I was never into Cof, i always felt their visuals were more aggressive than their music. Also, I didn't like Dani's voice. Not because of the shriek, but because it was repetitive (in the first albums). This album however is always fast and his voice is rich. The only people i see disliking this album are the old fans of Cradle. I think that's fair, this album is obviously a different kind of beast. But because of it I'm visiting the old Cradle albums, and surprise surprise, in their entire discography the only one I think comes close to this one is the previous one, Hammer. For me, Cryptoriana is one of the last year best metal albums.
14.04.2018 - 21:50
Baz Anderson

It's often easy to get things out of proportion, but this really is the best they have put out since Midian!

Hits total: 10833 | This month: 24