Metal Storm logo
Mastodon

Original post

Posted by Throne of Rats, 29.04.2007 - 11:49
Probably my favorite band of all time, and I think they need a thread. I saw them live for the first time and they were amazing. They definatly have a style of their own that is hard to compare to. What does everyone else think about these guys, discuss your thoughts.
15.01.2011 - 22:27
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by K✞ulu on 15.10.2010 at 22:33

I totally rediscovered Blood Mountain today. Absolute riff madness!

Also listened to Crack the Skye, what a glorious piece of music this is. Just amazing. Every song!

I am not a big fan of their earlier releases but Crack the Skye is a masterpiece - the last song - "The Last Baron" is epic...
----
rekt
18.01.2011 - 02:35
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I got their Leviathan as a birthday gift and just bought Crack the Skye. Mastodon is a band after my own heart.
26.02.2011 - 09:11
KvltovKthvlhv
I really loved the Crack the Skye album, i love how they stepped back and added so many psychedelic and progressive influences. A lot of people complain about the clean singing, but honestly i don't see a problem with it. The Czar is by far my favorite off this album. From the eerie keyboard intro, to the climatic solo, its awesome. I'd have to say blood mountain is my second favorite, sometimes the last half of it can get boring, but it's really an issue how long the album is and not the quality of the songs. Leviathan is great also, i love Hearts Alive.
----
When night falls she cloaks the world in impenatrable darkness, a chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air...suddenly life has new meaning
05.03.2011 - 20:16
Javier00
Is this really metal? i actually don't belive in any "metalcore" style.. could anyone please clarify this to me? i would thank a lot.
I only heard 1 track of this band i seen that video clip where they are in the space or something like that .... was not as disgusting as i thought of the so called "alternative" metal... but ehh.. i wouldn't say it is any metal... so please clarify my doubts here.
----
Comming back in MS is like WEIRD :)
05.03.2011 - 23:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Javier00 on 05.03.2011 at 20:16

Is this really metal? i actually don't belive in any "metalcore" style.. could anyone please clarify this to me? i would thank a lot.
I only heard 1 track of this band i seen that video clip where they are in the space or something like that .... was not as disgusting as i thought of the so called "alternative" metal... but ehh.. i wouldn't say it is any metal... so please clarify my doubts here.

To tell you the truth I really have no idea what Alternative metal is about, and what the representative bands of the genre are. BUT. 1 song is definitely not enough, especially since it comes from their last album, which saw change in style. Listen to the first two or three album to get the feel of why Mastodon got such a following (most people love their latest too though). So check out "Leviathan." I think that will be the safest choice.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
04.04.2011 - 08:50
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by K✞ulu on 05.03.2011 at 23:20

To tell you the truth I really have no idea what Alternative metal is about, and what the representative bands of the genre are. BUT. 1 song is definitely not enough, especially since it comes from their last album, which saw change in style. Listen to the first two or three album to get the feel of why Mastodon got such a following (most people love their latest too though). So check out "Leviathan." I think that will be the safest choice.

Actually I believe Remission would be the best choice for a close minded Metal Stormer like him lol
I mean... Crack The Skye is clearly Progressive and nowhere near Metalcore but anyways
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.04.2011 - 19:39
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/04/11/mastodon-brann-dailor-interview-new-album/

Brann Dailor talks about the new album. I guess we can expect something like Leviathan.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.04.2011 - 02:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
At least partially. i am looking forward to reading more details as they come forward.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.04.2011 - 03:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I am fucking STOKED! More Leviathan please!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.04.2011 - 03:51
@gent_-_orange
If its anything like leviathan i will be gettign this no doubt
18.04.2011 - 05:06
Doom Trooper
This is awesome. I was really hoping they would go back into a heavier direction. I doubt the vocals will be as heavy as leviathen though. Im gonna say it will sound like Leviathen mixed with Blood Mountain with some more proggier moments from Crack the Skye.
27.04.2011 - 14:42
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Has anyone seen their live DVD? I'm wondering if i should get it. I saw clips online from that show and they really did suck. I'm a huge mastodon fan, but they seem to be quite a bad live act from all the videos i've seen online or maybe i just seem to check out the videos where they had a bad set. And no I haven't seen them live as I live in India and they have never played here.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
27.04.2011 - 19:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I generally don't care for live dvds, so haven't checked it out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.04.2011 - 17:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Spirit Molecule on 27.04.2011 at 14:42

Has anyone seen their live DVD? I'm wondering if i should get it. I saw clips online from that show and they really did suck. I'm a huge mastodon fan, but they seem to be quite a bad live act from all the videos i've seen online or maybe i just seem to check out the videos where they had a bad set. And no I haven't seen them live as I live in India and they have never played here.

The weird thing is they were great live during their early years, but have been quite crap live the last couple of years.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.04.2011 - 04:36
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 04.04.2011 at 08:50

Actually I believe Remission would be the best choice for a close minded Metal Stormer like him lol
I mean... Crack The Skye is clearly Progressive and nowhere near Metalcore but anyways

It's a very stupid thing to say that because somebody dislikes your favorite band, that said person is close minded.

Anyways, Mastadon was one of the bands that got me into metal. I heard their song Iron Tusk, and thought it was the heaviest thing in the world. I still haven't listened to them past Leviathan, but I sure love that album.
29.04.2011 - 11:53
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.04.2011 at 17:17

The weird thing is they were great live during their early years, but have been quite crap live the last couple of years.

True during remission, leviathan days they were actually good live. I think it was the period after blood mountain that they started to fall. After crack the skye it just went from bad to worse. I remember seeing them on some talk show and they were all off. No one was singing in key and bran was quite loose on the kit. But all said and done, i will still go watch them if i get the chance.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
29.04.2011 - 18:44
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 29.04.2011 at 04:36

Written by Guib on 04.04.2011 at 08:50

It's a very stupid thing to say that because somebody dislikes your favorite band, that said person is close minded.

Anyways, Mastadon was one of the bands that got me into metal. I heard their song Iron Tusk, and thought it was the heaviest thing in the world. I still haven't listened to them past Leviathan, but I sure love that album.

Its also stupid to assume that Mastodon is my favorite band, I love them but its definitely not my favorite. Besides usually people will call an album hardcore falsly when they dislike it, I don't mind him not liking it but at least not calling it something that it isn't.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
29.04.2011 - 20:52
Void_Eater
Account deleted
^I assumed Mastadon was your favorite band due to your avatar being the Leviathan cover.
29.04.2011 - 22:41
@gent_-_orange
Written by Guest on 29.04.2011 at 20:52

^I assumed Mastadon was your favorite band due to your avatar being the Leviathan cover.

Its just an awesome cover
30.04.2011 - 04:57
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 29.04.2011 at 20:52

I just love the cover its sexy and its also a reference to Mobidick
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.04.2011 - 05:38
Void_Eater
Account deleted
It is an awesome cover for an awesome album.
30.04.2011 - 10:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guib on 30.04.2011 at 04:57

Pffffffff

Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea

THAT IS ALL >:[
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.04.2011 - 15:23
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.04.2011 at 10:44

Written by Guib on 30.04.2011 at 04:57

Pffffffff

Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea

THAT IS ALL >:[

.... ?? ok and how is that not a reference to moby-dick
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.04.2011 - 16:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guib on 30.04.2011 at 15:23

.... ?? ok and how is that not a reference to moby-dick

Nah, I'm just saying that the cover from Ahab is way more brutal and crushing, same goes to the music
Nothing wrong with Mastodon though
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.04.2011 - 18:01
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Spirit Molecule on 29.04.2011 at 11:53

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.04.2011 at 17:17

True during remission, leviathan days they were actually good live. I think it was the period after blood mountain that they started to fall. After crack the skye it just went from bad to worse. I remember seeing them on some talk show and they were all off. No one was singing in key and bran was quite loose on the kit. But all said and done, i will still go watch them if i get the chance.

I have seen them live twice. Once before Blood Mountain came out and once right before Crack the Skye was released. I have heard from a lot of people that they suck live, but the two times I saw them their shows were almost flawless. I think they are hit or miss live, and personally I think it's due to how much they have "partied" before their shows. The second time I saw them play was at the first Scion Rock Fest in Atlanta and it was epic. They came out on stage, didn't say a word and went right into Hearts Alive.
30.04.2011 - 20:51
Timm O)))
I've missed these guys twice, never seen 'em live yet.
One of the times was at the very first Sonisphere festival (in the Netherlands). Mastodon was supposed to open the festival but 5 minutes before they would start, some guy came on stage and informed us that Mastodon couldn't play because they got stuck somewhere in Austria.
Needless to say, i was quite pissed off after that. The Sword had also cancelled so of the four bands i went to the festival for, only two could play (Down and Metallica)

BUT, now for the good news: Mastodon is playing two shows in the Netherlands in two months, i already got my ticket and this time, NOTHING is gonna stop me from finally seeing them live!
11.05.2011 - 12:08
wormdrink414
elite
It's a bit sad that it took knowing that Neil Fallon has worked with these guys for me to revisit their music. Nevertheless, I'm really glad I did. The riffs... the riffs! Good shit.

I guess I prefer Leviathan over Crack the Skye (the only Mastodon albums I've heard). At the moment at least. Crack the Skye seems a bit more smooth and floaty, Leviathan more "crushing"*. Both are excellent, though.

*Cliche, you say? Fuck off.
12.05.2011 - 22:49
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by wormdrink414 on 11.05.2011 at 12:08

It's a bit sad that it took knowing that Neil Fallon has worked with these guys for me to revisit their music. Nevertheless, I'm really glad I did. The riffs... the riffs! Good shit.

I guess I prefer Leviathan over Crack the Skye (the only Mastodon albums I've heard). At the moment at least. Crack the Skye seems a bit more smooth and floaty, Leviathan more "crushing"*. Both are excellent, though.

*Cliche, you say? Fuck off.

man if you like Leviathan you really gotta spin Remission their first work ! ITS AWESOME ! I'm sure you'll love it
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.05.2011 - 12:03
terrorist
This band is realy unique,although i don't like them, they are diffrent from other bands and i give them credit for that.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
14.05.2011 - 19:32
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te7JL4516gc One of the best shows I've seen.