Metal Storm logo
Mastodon

Original post

Posted by Throne of Rats, 29.04.2007 - 11:49
Probably my favorite band of all time, and I think they need a thread. I saw them live for the first time and they were amazing. They definatly have a style of their own that is hard to compare to. What does everyone else think about these guys, discuss your thoughts.
27.07.2011 - 01:43
Rog-Mothoth
Damn how can i get the vids on here like everyone else does?
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
27.07.2011 - 09:44
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 27.07.2011 at 01:43

Damn how can i get the vids on here like everyone else does?

Do you mean how you can post youtube videos in threads?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.07.2011 - 16:38
Rog-Mothoth
Yea
----

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

27.07.2011 - 16:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 27.07.2011 at 16:38

Yea

use the [ youtube][ /youtube] (no spaces) code and insert the video code in-between. For instance in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgqenxNUfs, use the letters after the = to get

(press on the quote button to see how I do it for your self).
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.07.2011 - 17:10
Rog-Mothoth
Written by K✞ulu on 27.07.2011 at 16:48

Written by Rog-Mothoth on 27.07.2011 at 16:38

Yea

use the [ youtube][ /youtube] (no spaces) code and insert the video code in-between. For instance in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgqenxNUfs, use the letters after the = to get

(press on the quote button to see how I do it for your self).

ahhh i get it now thanks alot
----

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

27.07.2011 - 21:16
Timm O)))
Black Tongue sounds very promising! I like this direction they're going in.
29.07.2011 - 13:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
The Deluxe Edition cover art looks much more like classic Mastodon:

----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

30.07.2011 - 19:31
Timm O)))
Yea, i hope the standard digipak with this cover will be on sale as well, i like it much better than the original!
02.08.2011 - 22:35
JD
Account deleted

I'm in love with this pic.
03.08.2011 - 01:53
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Finally got Remission. My Mastodon collection is now complete.
Bring on The Hunter!
03.08.2011 - 04:08
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.08.2011 at 01:53

Bring on The Hunter!

Remission is the only physical Mastodon album I need to obtain. I should really stop putting it off but it's hard to keep up with everything when there are great new albums being released all the time. I should probably put it on my birthday/Christmas wish list.
03.08.2011 - 05:33
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 03.08.2011 at 04:08

Written by Guest on 03.08.2011 at 01:53

Bring on The Hunter!

Remission is the only physical Mastodon album I need to obtain. I should really stop putting it off but it's hard to keep up with everything when there are great new albums being released all the time. I should probably put it on my birthday/Christmas wish list.

Meh too many albums too many genres too many fucking bands... My bank account cant keep up

And im clearly going to get the classic style cover, its much more better !
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.08.2011 - 06:11
Sonic MrSumo
I was off Mastodon for some time due to them playing so shit at Big Day Out Sydney 2010, with Brent Hinds acting like a petulant child and playing behind speaker stacks and walking off stage because he was upset about something. Nice one...

Anyway, listened to Crack The Skye recently...and they still manage to surprise me with their genius song-writing. I'm now looking forward to The Hunter.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
03.08.2011 - 07:11
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 03.08.2011 at 06:11

I was off Mastodon for some time due to them playing so shit at Big Day Out Sydney 2010, with Brent Hinds acting like a petulant child and playing behind speaker stacks and walking off stage because he was upset about something. Nice one...

Anyway, listened to Crack The Skye recently...and they still manage to surprise me with their genius song-writing. I'm now looking forward to The Hunter.

Yeah, when they are drinking before the shows, etc., they sound awful live, but when they get onstage and play with effort they are a great live show. It's a shame that they have played so many shows poorly, but both times I saw them live it was in Atlanta and maybe they played top notch those times because they knew their close friends would be watching. Hope you catch them on a good night sometime.
03.08.2011 - 07:26
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 02.08.2011 at 22:35

I'm in love with this pic.

Thats been my wallpaper for the longest time. I wish they released a tee with the extended artwork.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.08.2011 - 10:41
Sonic MrSumo
Written by Guest on 03.08.2011 at 07:11

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 03.08.2011 at 06:11

Yeah, when they are drinking before the shows, etc., they sound awful live, but when they get onstage and play with effort they are a great live show. It's a shame that they have played so many shows poorly, but both times I saw them live it was in Atlanta and maybe they played top notch those times because they knew their close friends would be watching. Hope you catch them on a good night sometime.

Admittedly, I saw them the previous night at their own show (Big Day Out is a festival), and they were faultless.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
04.08.2011 - 15:53
Timm O)))
I saw them a few weeks back and i can honestly say it was one of the strongest shows i've ever been to. It was probably also the best time to see them live as they weren't promoting Crack The Skye or The Hunter but played a good strong handfull of songs from their entire discography. And clearly, they had not been drinking before cause they played extremely tight! The vocal delivery was also much better than what you can hear on the Live at the Aragon DVD.

In other news, today they announced the full track list of The Hunter. Here it is:
Black Tongue
Curl Of The Burl
Blasteroids
Stargasm
Octopus Has No Friends
All The Heavy Lifting
The Hunter
Dry Bone Valley
Thickening
Creature Lives
Spectrelight
Bedazzled Fingernails
The Sparrow

The Limited Edition includes two bonus tracks called "The Ruiner" and "Deathbound", the latter we already know from its hilarious video :

21.09.2011 - 13:33
The Turbanator

Complete "The Hunter" available for stream now. I'm loving this.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
22.09.2011 - 19:12
Timm O)))
I downloaded that thing and put in on my PS3.
Can't wait 'till the weekend so i can watch it on my big-ass TV while smoking my bong!
28.09.2011 - 07:31
Guib
Thrash Talker
The Hunter is a fucking good album, im happy !
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.09.2011 - 12:36
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 28.09.2011 at 07:31

The Hunter is a fucking good album, im happy !

Yeah, The Hunter is just perfect.
23.03.2012 - 21:51
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
This is awesome

----

Last fm
Don't click here
24.03.2012 - 09:42
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Spirit Molecule on 23.03.2012 at 21:51

This is awesome

It IS awesome. I have already forgotten Mastodon shared that on their Facebook. Great playing, pleasure to listen to.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

24.03.2012 - 15:43
Branzig
I'm actually thoroughly impressed by that!!

Anyone that has that much control and understanding over their instrument receives ALL of my respect!
----
In Grind We Crust
24.03.2012 - 22:26
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Spirit Molecule on 23.03.2012 at 21:51

This is awesome

Indeed. He uploaded the audio file for download, can't believe he did all the songs in one take.
24.03.2012 - 23:35
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
It also shows what an awesome album it is, that it can be just played on one instrument and sound so great
----

Last fm
Don't click here
25.03.2012 - 05:56
Branzig
Written by Spirit Molecule on 24.03.2012 at 23:35

It also shows what an awesome album it is, that it can be just played on one instrument and sound so great

...Welllll....haha

Guitar and piano are pretty much the exact same instrument believe it or not. Anything you play on guitar can be 100%, perfectly transcribed to a piano.

Riffs, Fills, & All

Of course, that doesn't make what he just did any less of an amazing feat! Kid's a Prodigy.
----
In Grind We Crust
25.03.2012 - 07:35
Darkfiber
I wont lie, I'm pretty disappointed by The Hunter. Extremely weak album, especially in comparison to Crack the Skye, which was probably their most solid. Every time I hear The Hunter, I feel like I'm listening to some crappy pop-rock like The Black Keys or something. It's possible I just don't "get" this album, but it's like they completely sold out and threw virtually all the complexity in their songwriting out the window in exchange for something Ryan Seacrest would listen to.
25.03.2012 - 16:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Darkfiber on 25.03.2012 at 07:35
I just don't "get" this album...

Most likely, if you think this is a modern pop album. I hated Crack the Skye and I'm glad they trimmed their progressive influence down for this. It's still one of their weakest overall, but at least they're back to playing a sludgy stoner kind of album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.03.2012 - 18:58
Branzig
I personally quit listening to their albums after Blood Mountain.

I still give their new releases a spin when they drop, but to me, Blood Mountain was their last decent record.
----
In Grind We Crust