Metal Storm logo
Skinny Puppy: Best To Worst

After 10+ years of listening to these guys, I felt it was time for a tribute to an excellent discography, and one of the earliest to adorn my shelf in full.

Created by: flightoficarus | 22.04.2015

1. Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park
Chilling, dark, and recorded in my hometown of Chicago. From the first time I heard "Convulsion," I was scared, but fascinated enough to know that this was something special. Every single song on this album goes with me everywhere that I do. It hits that perfect sweetspot between the sheer madness of Last Rights and the catchy goodness of VIVIsectVI. Speaking of which?
2. Skinny Puppy - VIVIsectVI
This is where I feel Skinny Puppy truly began to craft great albums. Every song is great and sticks in your head. "VX Gas Attack," "Harsh Stone White," "Testure." Great stuff.
3. Skinny Puppy - Rabies
I find this album to be almost universally, unfairly maligned. There are some truly great songs on here like "Hexonxonx," "Tin Omen," and of course "Worlock" (a haunting look at Charles Manson and his followers). Make sure to listen to the remaster from Cevin Key. The original cranked up the Jourgensen guitars and unfortunately drowned out some of Cevin's best synth work to date.
4. Skinny Puppy - The Process
The original swan song and last contribution of the late, great Dwayne Goettel. This is, or was, probably their most accessible work at the time. Much more rock/metal influence and more traditional songwriting, but that doesn't stop "Death," "Hardset Head," and "Candle" from being excellent songs.
5. Skinny Puppy - Cleanse Fold And Manipulate
My favorite of the early days. They were just short of creating a killer album, but "First Aid," "Addiction," and "Deep Down Trauma Hounds" showed that these guys were no slouches to the industrial movement.
6. Skinny Puppy - The Greater Wrong Of The Right
Another album that gets mixed to poor reviews. As far as comebacks go, this was one of the stronger ones that I have heard. Sure, it took some getting used to with Ogre's less aggro vocal approach, but "I'mmortal," "Neuwerld," and "Past Present" showed that the duo, former trio, still knew how to makes some great tunes.
7. Skinny Puppy - Last Rights
Some people call this Skinny Puppy's best album. I tend to disagree, but it is still excellent, at least the first half. This may very well be the least accessible of their works with the increased noise and dissonance that dominates the second act. Still, "Killing Game," "Love In Vein," and my personal favorite "Inquisition": what's not to like?
8. Skinny Puppy - Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse
I think they took a bit of a step backwards with this one. "Gods Gift (Maggot)" and "Dig It" are classics, but there is quite a bit of filler here. Plenty of experimentation going on. Thankfully it paid off in the long run.
9. Skinny Puppy - Bites
Ah, "Assimilate." Classic piece of 80's electronica. The overall aesthetic is very much synth-pop, but that doesn't stop this from being fairly aggressive and gritty for its time. I also like "Dead Lines" and "The Choke."
10. Skinny Puppy - Weapon
This album seemed to come and go without so much as a whimper. It's a shame, because I feel like this is one of the most throwback albums they have done since their resurgence. There's even a cool reworking of "Solvent." Plenty of good material here like "Wornin'," Illisit," and "Paragun."
11. Skinny Puppy - Mythmaker
I initially loved this album. Plenty of humorous anti-government jabs like "Magnifishit" and interesting compositions like "pedafly" and "jaHer." But over time my impression has wained. Lots of filler and even the best songs don't quite hold up to their other material.
12. Skinny Puppy - Remission
In the beginning, there was "Smothered Hope." I still spin this track regularly. Not a bad start for a bunch of odd-ball kids out to take down the system.
13. Skinny Puppy - HanDover
Yikes. Try as I might, I cannot get into this album. There are some half decent tracks like "Village," but overall this was an awkward and disappointing release.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by flightoficarus ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 1   Visited by: 21 users
22.10.2017 - 04:00
VIG
Account deleted
I would put VIVISectVI over Too Dark Park, but other than that my list would be the same.

Hits total: 28210 | This month: 7