Metal Storm logo
Requesting US Thrash Metal Recommendations

29.04.2007 - 18:57
Opium
Account deleted
I am specifically requesting US Thrash Metal recommendations, strictly NO German Thrash recommendations. I'm aware a Thrash recommendations thread already exists, however, it's not in the direction that I'd want it to go for me (as outlined), as well as others who listen to US Thrash.

My reason for excluding German Thrash is because of it's lack of co-ordination and generally sloppy sound, which I believe reduces my ability to actually enjoy it, in my case. No offense meant towards the fans and the bands themselves, it's just not what I'm searching for.

Now, for examples to help guide further similar recommendations - I've heard the following:
Megadeth - A house name, but still paramount to my point. I'm referring to the 83-94 era.
Annihilator - Referring to the riffs Jeff Waters uses especially. Only their first two albums as well as "Schizo Deluxe".
Wargasm - They embody the sound I'm after, though not to the same degree as the previous two. All of their releases have something to offer in the way of US Thrash, keeping to a slightly simpler sound, but still effective overall.
Morbid Saint - They may have only had one Studio release, although I find it also flows as a whole, while sounding aggressive and precise, like the previously named bands' releases.
Slayer - This may have seemed like a given, though I much prefer singular songs, like the classic "Raining Blood" - Both the guitar work and drumming employed here are a perfect example of the direction that I like Thrash to take.

I'll update this as I go, hoping there are people who will continually contribute to the thread, to keep it alive.
29.04.2007 - 19:23
Kaamos
Account deleted
Like on every thread so far, let's mention Dark Angel here: their 'Darkness Descends' is a masterpiece. Brutal, dark & generally just plain killer stuff. Overpowers Slayer's RiB for sure.

You left other big names out too, guess you don't like Testament, Anthrax ('Fistful of Metal') Exodus (especially 'Bonded by Blood') etc?
30.04.2007 - 01:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well here are simmilat tread but ok
firts thrash/black 80tie sthras Possessed man you shood try this band alos simmilar band from Canada Slaughter ist awsome

but well IMO marcel and Hellish Star can help you more how I because moust bands what I know here are mention but also

Anvil Bitch, Atrophy, Blessed Death. Blind Illusion, Covven(or Coven) Dark Amgel, Epidemic , Flotsam & Jetsam, Hades, Iced Earth, Nasty Savvage, Sacred Reich and many many mor egood band swho had recordet albums in 80ties iMO best albums of band swhat I mention and other has doen are recordet in 80ties
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2007 - 01:50
ArchitectSupreme
Account deleted
Hirax, Forbidden, Evil Dead, Death Angel, Dekapitator, and Hatchet are all great. And also check out Fog Of War www.myspace.com/fogofwar. Cool new thrash band from Northern CA.
30.04.2007 - 02:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.04.2007 at 01:50

Hirax, Forbidden, Evil Dead, Death Angel, Dekapitator, and Hatchet are all great. And also check out Fog Of War www.myspace.com/fogofwar. Cool new thrash band from Northern CA.

Damn man god bands I wa sforgot about them, maybe tahy are not my fav band sbut still I like them specely Forbidden first album, damn US thrash are rich and awsome but not after reunion of bands
----

apos;'
[image]
30.04.2007 - 03:15
Opium
Account deleted
For the record (something I forgot to include): I've already heard Testament, Metallica, Dark Angel and Death Angel. Unfotunately not all of them follow the sound I was looking for; only Testament and Dark Angel cover this well.

Exodus is NOT the route I wanted to follow, it's a little too savage and frantic, almost like German Thrash.

Thanks K7, Kaamos and ArchitectSupreme! I think those recommendations are going to keep me busy for a while

I'm also currently checking out Flotsam & Jetsam as I write this!

Just remembered, Annihilator is Canadian, so Canadian bands are welcome, too!

I'm aware it's a similar thread, although I did remember to differentiate, the title also specifies what I'm after (Though not correct, now that I remembered Annihilator are Canadian), to boot!
30.04.2007 - 17:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.04.2007 at 03:15

For the record (something I forgot to include): I've already heard Testament, Metallica, Dark Angel and Death Angel. Unfotunately not all of them follow the sound I was looking for; only Testament and Dark Angel cover this well.

Exodus is NOT the route I wanted to follow, it's a little too savage and frantic, almost like German Thrash.

Thanks K7, Kaamos and ArchitectSupreme! I think those recommendations are going to keep me busy for a while

I'm aware it's a similar thread, although I did remember to differentiate, the title also specifies what I'm after (Though not correct, now that I remembered Annihilator are Canadian), to boot!

Well I agree about Exodus but Toxic waltz are onlys ong what i liek and I listen obnly 80ties Exodus, same about Annihalator only early leither its soem wierd music

About Canadian thrash read my post in ''last album you had lsitening(OLD)''
----

apos;'
[image]
30.04.2007 - 17:34
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.04.2007 at 17:00

Well I agree about Exodus but Toxic waltz are onlys ong what i liek and I listen obnly 80ties Exodus, same about Annihalator only early leither its soem wierd music

About Canadian thrash read my post in ''last album you had lsitening(OLD)''

Thanks for that again K7 will read ASAP!
01.05.2007 - 02:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Forgot mention Fear Of God good thrash band whit female vocals, ask Marcel he knows more about it
----

apos;'
[image]
01.05.2007 - 08:37
Opium
Account deleted
Ok, now I've heard Flotsam & Jetsam and Hades. I must admit, I'm not particuarly fond of Hades, but love Flotsam & Jetsam's first and second albums, though I prefer their second album over their debut.

@K7: Can you please name them? I could only find one Canadian Thrash band (Razor) mentioned by you before it became too tiring to look

EDIT: BOOYEAH! 600th post!
01.05.2007 - 10:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 01.05.2007 at 08:37

@K7: Can you please name them? I could only find one Canadian Thrash band (Razor) mentioned by you before it became too tiring to look

EDIT: BOOYEAH! 600th post!

Hm, I try find in eve, but real thrash Razor and hmm I forgot but I try read in my posts
----

apos;'
[image]
02.05.2007 - 05:03
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

For Canadian thrash, I recommend Exciter. Their influences range from punk, heavy, and classic metal, but they're fast as hell. They actually remind me a little bit of Anthrax. Anyways, their first two albums are great, especially Violence And Force, which has one of the cheesiest album covers of all time.
02.05.2007 - 16:49
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 02.05.2007 at 05:03

For Canadian thrash, I recommend Exciter. Their influences range from punk, heavy, and classic metal, but they're fast as hell. They actually remind me a little bit of Anthrax. Anyways, their first two albums are great, especially Violence And Force, which has one of the cheesiest album covers of all time.

I was waiting from an input from you, strangely. That's because I knew you were a Thrash fan too, from your comments in other threads, thanks man!

You're the second person to recommend them, so they'll take preference now

Right now I'm still enoying Sacred Reich, very enjoyable and addictive. Their themes may not be original, but they are thought provoking ones at least.
03.05.2007 - 07:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
For a slightly more punkish feel, check out a bay area thrash (err not quite...they're from L.A.) band called Evildead, preferrably their Annihilation of Civilation album. They have the bassist and guitarist from Agent Steel
04.05.2007 - 00:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Municipal Waste is a modern throwback to the 80's crossover sound. Might be "sloppy", but I love "Hazardous Mutation" - it's upbeat smiley thrash.

http://www.myspace.com/municipalwaste
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.05.2007 - 17:59
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, I was just listening to Toxic Holocaust and thought of this thread. That's a good one to check out for now. A little thin on the production, but awesome on the riffing. Enjoy.
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.11.2007 - 19:29
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Some really good old school Thrash bands that are worth checking out are Armored Saint, Agent Steel, Heathen, Vio-lence, Metal Church. A lot of those are Thrash/Speed bands though.

For technical Thrash a band called Sadus is the way to go, they have excellent drumming IMO.

A good Canadian Thrash band that was missed was a band called Voivod. I'm not sure if you can exactly call them Thrash because they have A LOT of proggressive elements in their music, but they're still pretty good and worth checking out.
18.11.2007 - 19:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nut Armored Saint play more hevay metal how thrash
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2007 - 20:31
Charly546
Toxik - nice technical speed/thrash, more progressive approach on their second album

Realm - technical thrash/power, even some progressive touches to be found

Watchtower - pioneers in progressive/technical thrash, some brilliant music to be found there

Anacrusis - another progressive thrash metal band. Started out as a nice thrash metal act with some moments of "brilliance", evolved to a great progressive metal band

Holy Terror; Juggernaut; Lääz Rockit; Nuclear Assault (crossover thrash); Overkill, Possessed; S.O.D.
19.11.2007 - 00:59
selken
Irreligious
What kind of thrash are you looking for?
Well, I DID read your post but I think that Tankard could be good for you, no excesive speed, no complicated parts, yes, they are german, but not in the trend of kreator or sodom, they just play some thrashy speed sound.
----
19.11.2007 - 01:47
Opium
Account deleted
Thanks for the responses, it seems I neglected this thread for too long guys!

Bands I've already checked out: Municipal Waste, Agent Steel, Heathen, Metal Church, Sadus, Voivod, Toxik, Anacrusis, Holy Terror.

I'm getting around to checking out the others right now, since I'm always in the mood for more Thrash

What deterred me about Municipal Waste was their hardcore vocals, but now I've grown an appreciation for them in Thrash, so, cheers on that one BC!

I shall also check out Tankard, since you insist on it, selken
19.11.2007 - 04:11
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Well, my favorite American Thrash Metal bands, all of which I would recommend to you are:

Living Sacrifice. This Death Metal influenced Thrash Metal band have some great albums from that time. Granted in the mid 1990's they began braking into more of a Metalcore style, but they have some great albums from their Thrash days.

Nevermore. "This Godless Endeavor" is one of the best albums of the past few years. Hailing from Seattle, the same place that gave us Jimi Hendrix, Queensryche and Nirvana, comes Nevermore. A band that has taken thrash in a new direction.

Pantera. The Cowboys From Hell. I really can't think of a band that is more straight up Metal than these guys. Sure, their early material was glam, but once they became Thrash they stayed stronger than other Big Four of the 80's. Don't Mess with Texas!

Lamb Of God. These guys seem to be leading the New Wave of American Thrash Metal. Their first few albums are really worth getting. Newer material is a little more corporate sounding and bland.
----
(space for rent)
19.11.2007 - 09:47
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 19.11.2007 at 04:11

Well, my favorite American Thrash Metal bands, all of which I would recommend to you are:

Living Sacrifice. This Death Metal influenced Thrash Metal band have some great albums from that time. Granted in the mid 1990's they began braking into more of a Metalcore style, but they have some great albums from their Thrash days.

Lamb Of God. These guys seem to be leading the New Wave of American Thrash Metal. Their first few albums are really worth getting. Newer material is a little more corporate sounding and bland.

I'll check Living Sacrifice out, I know they're Christian, which is something a tad uninteresting, but as long as it isn't reflected in their lyrics, I'd definitely give them a listen. I will anyway, despite that, since you seem to show great interest in them, having posted about them elsewhere on MS.

I've only heard bad press about Lamb Of God, no matter what release. I still question whether they're worth checking out.

Nevermore. "This Godless Endeavor" is one of the best albums of the past few years. Hailing from Seattle, the same place that gave us Jimi Hendrix, Queensryche and Nirvana, comes Nevermore. A band that has taken thrash in a new direction.

Dane, just to let you know, I've been a fan of Nevermore since I first heard them in 2003 I thought my album collection might have suggested I am a fan, too

Pantera. The Cowboys From Hell. I really can't think of a band that is more straight up Metal than these guys. Sure, their early material was glam, but once they became Thrash they stayed stronger than other Big Four of the 80's. Don't Mess with Texas!

Of course we all know Pantera, but they aren't what I'm looking for here
23.11.2007 - 23:03
Existenzangst
Account deleted
Good to hear that you give Living Sacrifice a chance, most people avoid it because of the christian lyrics, but damn, their debut album is fucking nice thrash metal!

I was going to recommend holy terror, sadus, agent steel and heathen, but you already got a chance to listen to them, so I recommend:

Forbidden Evil by Forbidden

Eternal Nightmare by Vio-Lence

Party With God by Sacrilege B.C. (I highly recommend this lost diamond)

Say Uncle by Uncle Slam (Crossover Thrash, but still great)

Corrupt Minds by Acrophet
24.11.2007 - 01:35
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
All the best U.S. Thrash bands to me are:

Death Angel, Testament, Metal Church, Fueled By Fire, Municipal Waste, Overkill, Sanctuary, Pantera, Agent Steel, Powermad, Savage Grace

then from Mexico there's Strikemaster

from Japan there's Hellhound

and from Canada are the bands Razor.....and.......Exciter

thrash 'til death lol.
29.11.2007 - 05:50
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.11.2007 at 23:03

Good to hear that you give Living Sacrifice a chance, most people avoid it because of the christian lyrics, but damn, their debut album is fucking nice thrash metal!

I was going to recommend holy terror, sadus, agent steel and heathen, but you already got a chance to listen to them, so I recommend:

Forbidden Evil by Forbidden

Eternal Nightmare by Vio-Lence

Party With God by Sacrilege B.C. (I highly recommend this lost diamond)

Say Uncle by Uncle Slam (Crossover Thrash, but still great)

Corrupt Minds by Acrophet

I know Forbidden already and know of Vio-Lence, but I've never even heard of the others

Some more feedback: Living Sacrifice are very tight I was surprised, I'm now listening to them on my mp3 player
29.11.2007 - 06:19
deadset61
Account deleted
if you are lookin for some american thrash that sounds like exodus check out fueled by fire
29.11.2007 - 06:28
Ellie
Account deleted
Intruder and Hexx are my prime recommendations.
29.11.2007 - 06:32
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 06:19

if you are lookin for some american thrash that sounds like exodus check out fueled by fire

Hmm..you must like Merciless Death as well
29.11.2007 - 07:06
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 05:50

Some more feedback: Living Sacrifice are very tight I was surprised, I'm now listening to them on my mp3 player

Which albums/song do you have? I love Living Sacrifice. My buddy Steve is huge Living Sacrifice fan. How big of a fan is he? Well this should be proof enough...

I really which I had a chance to see them in concert. There is also a recently release Living Sacrifice album of previously unreleased material out there.
----
(space for rent)