Metal Storm logo
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

24.05.2006 - 15:24
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
This is an interesting (at least on a first listen) avantgarde act from United States. The make really eclectic and chaotic music with really strange concepts, being influenced by dadaism and futurism, and also some kind of strange reversed evolutionary claim that human beings are de-evolving actually.
I can´t say whether I like them or not because I need to listen to them more but at least they try to create something different which is already a good thing in my eyes.
24.05.2006 - 19:25
Daibh
Account deleted
Written by John Barleycorn on 24.05.2006 at 15:24

they try to create something different which is already a good thing in my eyes.

And in mine. The true nature of creative potential can only be released when an artist breaks free from the tried and tested.

Unfortunaltey, I have not heard the band since "Grand Opening and Closing" -which I think was their debut? They do indeed have a very diverse sonic range. Some wonderful concepts there.
25.05.2006 - 05:37
Alfonso
Of Natural History is much, much better than the debut... especially since nothing is as annoying as that "1997" song was. Look up the guys' previous band, Idiot Flesh, as well!
----
25.05.2006 - 18:27
Daru Jericho
I've only got Grand Opening And Closing too. It's still a great listen. I wish more bands were quirky like SGM. But I shall check out their later albums and this Idiot Flesh band at some stage.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

31.05.2006 - 20:48
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I'm listening to Of Natural History right now. And I like it a lot! It's very weird music and the name of the band really fits the music.
It's crazy but cool!
17.12.2006 - 13:41
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Yesterday I got my delivery contained both of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's albums! I'm happy that I own them both now.
This is such a great band. I love their music.
24.12.2006 - 02:47
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Oh. For everyone who reads this thread. If you really like Sleepytime you should try out Idiot Flesh. A few of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's members were in that band before they disbanded and formed Sleepytime. It's really bizarre and weird! And it's too hard to classify them, and I'm not trying to do that right now. They use a lot of weird instruments.
13.02.2007 - 02:27
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
I am going to see them in concert in a few weeks. I can not wait. I just bought the remastered version of Grand Opening. I always thought that Sleepytime was what Tom Waits would sound like if he did metal. SGM is by far one of the best post-RIO/Avent-Prog bands out there.
----
(space for rent)
21.02.2007 - 13:50
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Lol, I haven't yet compared Tom Waits with Sleepytime.

There are still some songs that I don't fully appreciate, but the first half of ...Of Natural History is absolutely amazing!
I also can't wait for their next album and I'm going to see them in concert as well, but it will take at least about a month for me.
22.02.2007 - 10:57
GT
Coffee!!
staff
This band name is so cool that I have to check out this band...any recommendations?
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
25.02.2007 - 17:28
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Well they only have 2 albums. I'd recommend them both, but I prefer their last album a bit more. 'Of Natural History' that is.
24.04.2007 - 00:26
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I have seen them live last weekend and it was absolutely brilliant!!!
Never ever have I seen a band that came close to this awesome act and originality!
The sound was superb and they performed every song perfectly!

I wish I could see them again soon.

Their new album is great by the way. They performed songs of it and I also got it on my computer now. It's a lot heavier than their older stuff but I like it a lot. I'll definitely buy it when it comes out!
25.05.2007 - 20:58
gordon
Account deleted
I love bands like this. Theyre so wild and committed to their sound you dont really have an option but to accept it. SGM like tom waits? I see the connection. i always thought itd be sick to see waits make metal or basically putting his mind to any kind of music besides his own. SGM has a sickkk new video for helpless corpses enactment : http://youtube.com/watch?v=ELyco68w5ks
song is from the new cd and its raww. check it out
27.05.2007 - 20:54
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Twilight on 24.04.2007 at 00:26

Never ever have I seen a band that came close to this awesome act and originality!

Their new album is great by the way. They performed songs of it and I also got it on my computer now. It's a lot heavier than their older stuff but I like it a lot. I'll definitely buy it when it comes out!

When I saw them they closed the show with "Sleep is Wrong" but at about halfway through the song they stop and the guy singing at the time said "Yeah, I am pretty tiered. I think I am heading back to the bus." So he get up and walks to the bus. Then the drummer screams "TO THE BUS" and the whole band ran through the crowed to the bus and everyone followed them. So everyone was now outside drinking for like 20 minutes when the drummer yells "TO THE STAGE!" and they all rush back in and start playing "Sleep is Wrong" exactly where they left off.

Did they do that when you saw them?
----
(space for rent)
10.06.2007 - 00:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Sounds like fun!!! Cool that everyone went with it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.06.2007 - 09:22
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by Dane Train on 27.05.2007 at 20:54

Written by Twilight on 24.04.2007 at 00:26

When I saw them they closed the show with "Sleep is Wrong" but at about halfway through the song they stop and the guy singing at the time said "Yeah, I am pretty tiered. I think I am heading back to the bus." So he get up and walks to the bus. Then the drummer screams "TO THE BUS" and the whole band ran through the crowed to the bus and everyone followed them. So everyone was now outside drinking for like 20 minutes when the drummer yells "TO THE STAGE!" and they all rush back in and start playing "Sleep is Wrong" exactly where they left off.

Did they do that when you saw them?

Omg, that's amazing!

No they didn't do that. Oh my, I'd love to see them do that! No, the place where they performed where I've seen them was a bit far away from any bus. So that didn't happen. Instead they all fell asleep and the drummer suddenly started singing some kind of weird pop song with a 4/4 bassdrum and they all started to wake up gradually and it all got louder again until it reached a climax and they continued with Sleep is Wrong.
13.06.2007 - 22:21
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
It sounds like "Sleep Is Wrong" is their signature closing song at shows. Has anyone else seen them live?
----
(space for rent)
19.07.2007 - 19:06
Falco
Account deleted
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are pretty cool. Found out about them via recommendations based on Mike Patton's stuff. My favourite song may be What Will We Do Without Us. I have the new album, I need to listen to it again though.

I found that one of the members produced Stolen Babies' first album, and they're such a cool band (and they have little quirky SGM influenced parts in places) but personally, I think that Stolen Babies are even better than SGM
20.07.2007 - 02:26
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 19.07.2007 at 19:06

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are pretty cool. Found out about them via recommendations based on Mike Patton's stuff.

SGM has a strong connection with Mr. Bungle. That is where they got their first big break. Also, there is a band called Secret Chiefs 3, which is sort of the remaining members of Bungle, and they are SGM's opening act.
----
(space for rent)
20.07.2007 - 12:42
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Secret Chiefs 3 didn't open when I went to see SGM. Guess they can't tour abroad with the main act, must be something with the record deal.
Trey Spruance helped recording their first stuff when SGM was still Idiot Flesh. But I'm not sure about that.
Fact is that they started out at the same time as Mr. Bungle.
20.07.2007 - 20:07
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Did anyone open for SGM when you saw them?
----
(space for rent)
25.07.2007 - 00:12
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Nope, there was no opening act.
I think that was great because SGM got more time to play that way!
04.08.2007 - 19:19
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I wonder if this happened in most of their acts.
I just found like almost the complete performance of the night I saw them!
It's all on youtube and I wanted to share this particular song because it was really entertaining.
I wonder if they did anything similar when you were seeing them hemlock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSQ2Vt0t2q8

Oh and here's an improvised version of Sleep is Wrong of the same gig.

Part 1
Part 2
29.08.2007 - 02:33
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Wow, that was funny to see.

I saw SGM about two weeks ago. I drove 13 hours to see the show that night, and as always, mindblowing.
----
(space for rent)
28.09.2007 - 10:30
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Finally managed to listen to this band. Heard the album 'Grand Opening And Closing'. Very wierd music but kinda cool. Not ecxatly something I would listen to everyday but once in a while it's nice.
Favorite track is 'Helpless Corpse Enactment'.
----

20.10.2007 - 19:51
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Oh yeah, GT, that is a great song. I would recomend getting their next album, it is even better.
----
(space for rent)
04.11.2007 - 15:11
GT
Coffee!!
staff
@Dane Train: thanks...I'll check it out if I can find it anywhere...is it 'Of Natural History' or...?
----

16.12.2007 - 02:22
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
This is the order of their albums:

2001 - The Grand Opening and Closing
2004 - Of Natural History
2007 - In Glorious Times

I think I personally like their latest album the most at the moment, but the other two are great as well.
13.03.2009 - 22:24
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
In Glorious Times rocked my sox! Angel of Repose is a great song, hell, all of them are. I got to see them in Bowling Green, OH at Howard's Club and it was one of the most beautiful, eccentric shows I have ever seen!
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
13.03.2009 - 23:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by {aud}devil on 13.03.2009 at 22:24

In Glorious Times rocked my sox!

I've got that album playing over the house speakers right now!
----
(space for rent)