05. The Miniature
06. Powerless
07. The Stain
08. Sleepytime
09. Sunflower
10. More Time [2006 re-issue bonus]
11. Flinch [2006 re-issue bonus]
12. Powerless [live] [2006 re-issue bonus]

"The 1974 edition of the Guiness Book of World Records included a brief entry on the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum as the :World's most closed public institution:" naming your band after a Dada museum will make people notice you for sure, at least the artsy people that is. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is already a big name in the rock scene, their album "Of Natural History" was their big step...but what about their debut? "Grand Opening And Closing" is one of the most interesting pieces in avant-garde music, of course it's almost impossible to get nowadyas.

Fortunately someone was smart enough to re-issue this masterpiece, still there are many individuals out there who don't fully know this band (shame on you!) Sleepytime Gorilla Museum plays what we know as RIO (Rock In Opposition), you know that genre that Frank Zappa built in the 60's? But this band plays it in a darker way, they grabbed all the complexity of albums like "Hot Rats" and sucker-punched the structures to create a gloomy side of an artistic musical puree.

While their insanely popular "Of Natural History" just gives me the creeps and scares me to death, "Grand Opening And Closing" opens my ears wide and strongly. The music is highly digestible yet insanely complex; the versatility level is sky-high though, it easily goes from Bjork to NIN and back, every song has a different vibe going on but always in a very sadistic and depressive line.

This album is really bizarre and extremely interesting, hearing this means redifining your definition of Avant-Garde music. I think you must take the chance, this album won't be available again in a very long period of time, buy it while you can.

Best Tracks: "Sleep Is Wrong", "1997", "Ambugaton"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Herzebeth | 02.05.2007

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 121 users
02.05.2007 - 23:16
Damnated
Churchburner
Frank, not fran Zappa
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.05.2007 - 23:46
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Great to see you review this band! I've only heard "Of Natural History" and it's totally sick! Maybe the funniest band I know ^^
03.05.2007 - 01:42
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
This album is awesome!

But I do like Of Natural History more. Although this album got some great tracks as well.
I've seen them live already and they were great! Absolutely and amazing show, never seen something like that before.

I don't agree with you on the best tracks... "Sleep is Wrong" and "Ambugaton" are good yes, but "1997" is the most accessible song they've made until now. I prefer "Powerless".

They have a third album coming up and it will be released this month!!! I've already heard it and it's great!

Also, I'd like to add this band to the Metalstorm database, but I don't know how, hehe.

Oh and one more thing, if people like this they should try Idiot Flesh.
03.05.2007 - 03:57
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
This is one of my all time favorite albums! I am so glad someone else knows about it. "Sleep Is Wrong" is a personal anthem of mine. The re-issue of this album is a must for any Progressive/Avent-Garde/RIO fan out there.
----
(space for rent)
03.05.2007 - 10:36
GT
Coffee!!
staff
The name of the band is enough to make me wanna own this CD. Haven't heard anything by this band, but might get a chance now

*goes away to cd-shop to check*
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
03.05.2007 - 19:19
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Hmm looking at your fav bands I doubt if you'll like it. But it's always worth a try!
03.05.2007 - 19:31
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by GT on 03.05.2007 at 10:36

The name of the band is enough to make me wanna own this CD. Haven't heard anything by this band, but might get a chance now

*goes away to cd-shop to check*

yeah man
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.05.2007 - 22:13
Bulldozer
Account deleted
Again, I stumbled across your review because of the eye-catching album cover. This one is also cool and different.
I admit that I've never heard of this band before but it sounds interesting, so I will definitely check this album out. After all, 9.2 is a high rate.
Nice one, Herz
04.05.2007 - 08:49
Herzebeth
I'm glad you all liked the review, I just want to warn you all, double-check the genre and the review itself, I don't want you guys to be expecting a non-stop metal assault with blast-beats and stuff...

this album is so great indeed, just make sure you actually know what you're getting into hehehe...

that will only increase the mistery lol!
----
05.07.2007 - 19:59
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by Herzebeth on 04.05.2007 at 08:49

I'm glad you all liked the review, I just want to warn you all, double-check the genre and the review itself, I don't want you guys to be expecting a non-stop metal assault with blast-beats and stuff...

this album is so great indeed, just make sure you actually know what you're getting into hehehe...

that will only increase the mistery lol!

There is a mistake though. Its release year is from 2001, not 2007.
20.07.2007 - 16:49
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Interesting review indeed... I'll check this album out! (so far I only know some tracks from ""Of natural history" and I love them, in particular "the Donkey-Headed Adversary of Humanity opens the discussion" )
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...

Hits total: 6651 | This month: 5