06. Chains Fall To Gravity
07. Like Orpheus
08. Poets Of Prophetic Messianism
09. Left Behind
10. My Brother's Keeper
11. Take My Hand
12. Only The Dead Have Seen The End of War
13. The Manifest - Epilogue

According to most Orphaned Land fans, the quality went downhill - if ever so slowly - since Mabool... but a masterpiece is hard to top anyway. So, what about Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs? (NB: that'll be UP&DM for short)
First thing you'll probably notice is that it really follows up on All Is One with its symphonic leanings and choirs, clean-sung choruses, and general oriental-take-on-metal songwriting. But there are some differences, though.

UP&DM is a bit more adventurous and complex than All Is One. Sure, it still heavily features the pop-rock / easily accessible sound of All Is One, so just like previously it also tends to drag down a bit. And well, at times it really feels more Myrath than Orphaned Land, like on "Take My Hand" or "Like Orpheus" (the bands influencing each other works both ways it seems!).

But, thankfully, we have proggier songs, starting with the tremendous opener "The Cave"... And we've also got some aggression back, with grunts! Yes, Kobi's growling again - even if it's not that much. Oh, sure, if you liked All Is One because of Kobi's fantastic clean soulful vocals, you're in for a treat here, as I'm wondering if he didn't get even better. The choirs are used to great effect on the whole (still, I found the 'propaganda' chorus shout to be cringe-worthy), but nowhere better than on "Chains Fall To Gravity". My oh my, they're why this fantastic song is so moving - and the solo Genesis's Steve Hackett performs does add a nice touch too .

As usual with Orphaned Land, you'll find Middle-Eastern folk influence throughout... But I have to say that "Yedidi", the traditional number, is seriously their worse by far, and doesn't stand the comparison with any of their previous (be it "Aldiar Al Mukadisa", "Olat Ha'tamid", "Norra El Norra"...). Otherwise, well, it obviously works fine as always!

Nice Kreator bonus, btw

"Like Orpheus", the first single, introduces the album's second guest, Blind Guardian's Hansi Kürsch? But most importantly it offered a first vision of UP&DM's concept and leading red line: Plato's Cave. That, and also the will to face reality and change the world, exit thy confort zone and break your (and other's) chains - or lack of said will. The duality / paradox of it all is easily demonstrated by the situation of metalheads in the Middle-East, still bound by society yet freed by music.

All the album revolves around these themes, hinting at various mythological or real-world assassinated prophets and apostles of peace. It shows in the lyrics of course - and Kobi still greatly uses speech and whispers when needed. But that's also blatant in the samples used, or with some sound effects they played with (drums that sound like cannon fire, sirens, machinegun shots?). Or those four censoring bleeps. I understand they serve the general concept, but I'm sorry, music-wise they ruin the songs they're in.

The anger the band feels seeing the state of the world shows in the harsher songs. "Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War" is pretty violent and dark, with Thomas 'Tompa' Lindberg of At The Gates fame adding loads to the darkness and urgency of the song. This "Codeword Uprising" feeling is even made stronger by the fact it serves the same climax role in the album, with an epilogue following - but that one, given the overall tone of UP&DM, is a bit darker.

So? This is the first album written and recorded without Yossi 'Sassi' Saharon. That's probably why there weren't that many guitar solos - which, even if they didn't shine, did the job. Let's say the band, even with this huge loss (we'll surely miss him live), managed to move forward and deliver a very good and emotionally intense album. Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs's listen is filled with great moments, but some less memorable ones too, which makes it sounding a bit too long for its own good. And while by no mean you should expect another Mabool or ORWarrior, UP&DM is All Is One's continuation, but only much better. A recommended listen, as Orphaned Land clearly are on a roll again!

Don't be afraid of the light?!

Written on 15.01.2018 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 392 users
15.01.2018 - 17:03
nikarg

You had me at Plato's Cave
I probably need to check this out.
15.01.2018 - 18:15
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by nikarg on 15.01.2018 at 17:03

You had me at Plato's Cave
I probably need to check this out.

I didn't, they did - and the first song isn't called "The Cave" for nothing
Funny thing, this allegory was already the subject of a song on the latest In The Woods...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.01.2018 - 19:11
Rating: 9
Netzach
Planewalker
I like this one better than the previous two albums... Orwarrior was great but a bit bloated, this one ...um... gets its shit together in a better fashion. It kind of loses steam between "Chains Fall..." (which is awesome) and "Take My Hand", the censoring thing bothers me (it's just annoying after a few listens, artistic integrity be damned) and most of the samples are cheesy and intruding (1984, seriously?)... But I still think it's their best since Mabool. Agree with most of the review, I probably enjoyed it a bit more than you though by the looks of it It's nice to hear some strange time signatures and growls again, the theme is thoughtful (if maybe a bit blatant) and the lyrics are sometimes surprisingly spiteful compared to previous albums.
16.01.2018 - 20:25
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Netzach on 16.01.2018 at 19:11

I like this one better than the previous two albums... Orwarrior was great but a bit bloated, this one ...um... gets its shit together in a better fashion. It kind of loses steam between "Chains Fall..." (which is awesome) and "Take My Hand", the censoring thing bothers me (it's just annoying after a few listens, artistic integrity be damned) and most of the samples are cheesy and intruding (1984, seriously?)... But I still think it's their best since Mabool. Agree with most of the review, I probably enjoyed it a bit more than you though by the looks of it It's nice to hear some strange time signatures and growls again, the theme is thoughtful (if maybe a bit blatant) and the lyrics are sometimes surprisingly spiteful compared to previous albums.

Yeah, I agree with all you said... except on that 'better than ORWarrior' part (but I kinda agree on the 'bloated' part, as "The Warrior" and "His Leaf yaddayadda" are forgettable)
As for the bleeps, I guess I could work, but it seems they just were added afterwards on the lyrics - which seems normal for censorship. But if they really wanted it to work music-wise, they should have planned it during the songwriting - something they obviously didn't...
----

I am awake"
18.01.2018 - 01:32
Rating: 8
Nick Carter

Where can I listen to this one?
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
18.01.2018 - 02:08
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Nick Carter on 18.01.2018 at 01:32

dunno if it's been previewed in full yet... Should come soon, as release date is supposed to be the 26th
----

I am awake"
18.01.2018 - 04:19
Nick Carter

Written by Darkside Momo on 18.01.2018 at 02:08

Written by Nick Carter on 18.01.2018 at 01:32

dunno if it's been previewed in full yet... Should come soon, as release date is supposed to be the 26th

Damn, it gets me so nervous when i read reviews of albums that haven't been released lol.
Where did YOU listened to it!!
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
18.01.2018 - 11:03
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Nick Carter on 18.01.2018 at 04:19

Damn, it gets me so nervous when i read reviews of albums that haven't been released lol.
Where did YOU listened to it!!

Promo copy for reviewing purpose, simple as that
----

I am awake"
19.01.2018 - 13:01
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I can't wait to hear this! This review also made me more excited for some good things on the record. I liked All Is One even though it wasn't no Mabool or even The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR.

However, it wasn't a bad record, just different. If this is a continuation of sorts but better, then I can't see why I wouldn't like it.

Will come back when I actually listen to the entire thing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.01.2018 - 23:13
cynicoren

The story behind the clip is that they are really metal heads.I saw the female actor in the clip in some shows in the Barbi club (in the clip it's Kreator playing the Barbu in the 2017 tour), always dressed with beautiful Hijabs.
02.02.2018 - 15:49
Rating: 6
MetalEyez

What I believe that since Yossi Just left the band , and every new record from OL have nothing new , And for those who said this new Album is better than " he Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR " you totally wrong , go back to the ORwarriOR album and listen to it more and more to feel That album was so unique like Mabool they both have one line story , beside that Aafter Mabool & Warrior Starting with All is One & now Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs is almost same tunes .
I would rate it 7/10
07.02.2018 - 14:57
Rating: 9
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by MetalEyez on 02.02.2018 at 15:49

What I believe that since Yossi Just left the band , and every new record from OL have nothing new , And for those who said this new Album is better than " he Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR " you totally wrong , go back to the ORwarriOR album and listen to it more and more to feel That album was so unique like Mabool they both have one line story , beside that Aafter Mabool & Warrior Starting with All is One & now Unsung Prophets & Dead Messiahs is almost same tunes .
I would rate it 7/10

Orwarrior had a better concept and its best songs are better than the ones on this album, but this new album has a more consistent quality and a generally better approach to songwriting. Orwarrior sometimes sounds like too many ideas sharing too little space and many of its songs start out great and then go nowhere. I'm definitely no stranger to progressive music but it could have used some more editing - and compared to All Is One, Unsung Prophets has a lot more prog in it but it is not so overtly showcased as on Orwarrior, it blends in somewhat better with the metal and pop elements. Mabool is still their best work though.

Hits total: 10285 | This month: 17