Metal Storm logo
Most Important Metallica Album

Poll

Which do you think is the most important Metallica album?

Master Of Puppets
Ride The Lightning
Kill 'Em All
Metallica (black album)
...And Justice For All
St. Anger
Load
Reload
Garage Days

Total votes: 255
03.05.2007 - 05:07
Black Mass
I'm sitting at my desk at work slugging away on a 150 page pavement design report (yawn) when I decided I needed some music to get me going. I pulled out my trusty ipod and chose Metallica. After listening to Kill 'Em All, Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All, I began wondering which Metallica album is the most important. And by that I mean the album that had the biggest impact when it was released, the album that made them who they became and who they are today, the album that solidified their fan base and their place in the Heavy Metal music world.

For me, its Master Of Puppets. From the opening riff of Battery to the closing note of Damage Inc, the songs are well structured, powerful and remind me why Metallica were the first band I really got into all those years ago.

I did a search and couldn't find a similiar poll, so if there has been one already I apologise.
I also realise I have left of Garage Days Re-visited and S&M but decided they dont really rate in the poll.

Would love to read what anyone else has to say.
03.05.2007 - 15:05
matthioso
To me, it's 'Ride The Lightning'. On 'Kill' Em All" they play thrash metal, but on RTL they really made a completely new sound. A combination of heavy and thrash metal.
ok, 'Master Of Puppets' is the album people would name when they hear Metallica and heavy thrash metal, but they couldn't have made a MOP if their wasn't RTL.
still imo RTL is their best album .
----
www.seedofrock.be
03.05.2007 - 15:11
APOHAKC
The Bard
Kll'em All - succesful debut and horde of fans.. It is pretty important I think, but next album is also very important for their further career.. Metallica was trash metal band and those album were some kind of tribute to the genre, we can't say the same for latests releases.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.05.2007 - 15:42
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 03.05.2007 at 15:11

Kll'em All - succesful debut and horde of fans.. It is pretty important I think, but next album is also very important for their further career.. Metallica was trash metal band and those album were some kind of tribute to the genre, we can't say the same for latests releases.

^what he said.
03.05.2007 - 17:04
Not to repeat the last two posts, but I also agree with Kill Em All. It is one of my alltime favorite albums, and set the stage for the later albums. While the Black album, And Justice for All, and Master of Puppets may have gotten more mainstream respect, Kill Em All immediately put them at the top of the genre, while the next three releases just confirmed that.
03.05.2007 - 20:16
Bitch Boy
Obviously the debut album is important for every band but I think that "Ride The Lightning" was the album that consolidated Metallica as one of the greatest (thrash) metal bands ever. It isn't my favorite one though, but for sure is a very good one, and the band was at its best line-up. For sure RTL was a definitive and very influential album for thrash metal, that's the reason of its importance.
03.05.2007 - 22:22
Hellish Star
Kill'em all: it was the start of those great years of US thrash and it influenced so ,many bands

Master of Puppets: because it might be a perfect metal album

Ride the lightning: because it is my favourite album
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
03.05.2007 - 22:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmmm interesting IMO all albums(whne thay had hair) are important, but I woud say 3 are more important how others

Its hard to choose order

Master Of Puppets
IMO this are moust important whole album are good, good lyrics good songs and video was made for ONE so, also seems all knows this album, but I jsut say this is firts important because ist heavyer how Black, but Black album are IMO for others important, but not for me

Black - well because of comercalisize metala nd video and medias tv, radio its 'top' album how GnR 'Use You Illusiion' to bad for band to bad, good album...last of Metallica

Kill Em All - Its begining of thrash/speed metal ist not real thrash to fats for thrash same time to heavy for speed good album

Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All - well Ride The Lighting i like it better

Garage Days CD1 - well I like CD 1 good album good vover songs, realy good songs, from CD 2 I like onlu Overkil song Motorhead cover

Loud, Reloud, St. Anger I wount by them

OK i jsut say order how I choose them albums and in this order album means much for me
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.05.2007 - 23:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'd like to say Kill 'em All, but after some serious thinking I've come to the conclusion that the black album is their most important release. Sure, Kill 'em All created the Thrash scene... but the black album made Metallica the biggest Metal band in the world! That album alone has opened so many doors for a lot of Metalheadz, I remember playing Enter Sandman over and over again when I was 12 and thought it was the heaviest music ever! Yes Metallica became comercial but that also helped the Metal scene to expand. I believe that the black album has created a lot of metalheads!
----
04.05.2007 - 01:25
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I agree with Warman. Metallica: The Black Album is Metallica's most important release ever. Sure Kill 'Em All was one of the best and most successful debut albums ever, and Ride the Lightning is my favourite Thrash Metal album, but the album that launched them to MTV stardom was obviously the band's self-titled one, with almost 15 million albums sold in the USA alone. Afterwards, they toured with Guns N' Roses and worked on the new Load songs and we all know what happened.
04.05.2007 - 01:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 03.05.2007 at 22:51

You might not buy them or count them in anyway, but they're important for many reasons...how many Metallica fans that can't stand those albums talk about them still all the time until their faces turn blue? They may not have put out a 100% album with them, but the way they were marketed, the way they went through the recording processes and the St. Anger DVD that they put out afterward that includes the "heartache" the band went through is marketing and commercial genius...all of the bullshit they created with that album and the heads they turned really put their name on the map...and "Load" and "Reload" shows just how Metallica evolved from a messy speedy thrash metal classic into a mainstream commercial hard rock band known the world over...so...good for them eh? they did their time and nowadays...they'll never stop, they'll never quit cause they're Metallica...
04.05.2007 - 12:20
Damnated
Churchburner

Master Of Puppets
IMO this are moust important whole album are good, good lyrics good songs and video was made for ONE so, also seems all knows this album, but I jsut say this is firts important because ist heavyer how Black, but Black album are IMO for others important, but not for me

Black - well because of comercalisize metala nd video and medias tv, radio its 'top' album how GnR 'Use You Illusiion' to bad for band to bad, good album...last of Metallica

One was on ...And Justice for alll... and you say that Black album is not important for you, then you say it is what is the truth?

anyways, i voted for Master of Puppets, mainly because it's their greatest and maturest album.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.05.2007 - 12:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 04.05.2007 at 12:20

Master Of Puppets

One was on ...And Justice for alll... and you say that Black album is not important for you, then you say it is what is the truth?

anyways, i voted for Master of Puppets, mainly because it's their greatest and maturest album.

I never say it Black is important for me even if its so popular its good album, good and I like it
----

apos;'
[image]
04.05.2007 - 12:40
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 04.05.2007 at 12:29

I never say it Black is important for me even if its so popular its good album, good and I like it

then why did you wrote "Black - well [it's important] because of comercalisize metala nd video and medias tv, radio its 'top' album how GnR 'Use You Illusiion' to bad for band to bad, good album...last of Metallica" ? your clearly argumenting why do you think it's important.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.05.2007 - 12:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 04.05.2007 at 12:40

Written by Bad English on 04.05.2007 at 12:29

then why did you wrote "Black - well [it's important] because of comercalisize metala nd video and medias tv, radio its 'top' album how GnR 'Use You Illusiion' to bad for band to bad, good album...last of Metallica" ? your clearly argumenting why do you think it's important.

I mean thos ethinks make that album important for others and other pll know more about band and IMO this si why next albums are so selling but for me I like music, lyrics all there
----

apos;'
[image]
04.05.2007 - 14:51
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.05.2007 at 01:35

You might not buy them or count them in anyway, but they're important for many reasons...how many Metallica fans that can't stand those albums talk about them still all the time until their faces turn blue? They may not have put out a 100% album with them, but the way they were marketed, the way they went through the recording processes and the St. Anger DVD that they put out afterward that includes the "heartache" the band went through is marketing and commercial genius...all of the bullshit they created with that album and the heads they turned really put their name on the map...and "Load" and "Reload" shows just how Metallica evolved from a messy speedy thrash metal classic into a mainstream commercial hard rock band known the world over...so...good for them eh? they did their time and nowadays...they'll never stop, they'll never quit cause they're Metallica...

And don't forget, St.Anger might just've saved the band. (along side with SKOM and the "shrink" ofc).
04.05.2007 - 15:50
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 04.05.2007 at 01:35

Hmm I totaly agree about this one. This albums are bad but they bring many new fans to metallica. I remember watching German MTV when St.Anger was released, they had millin of young fans with St.Anger T-shirts and staff. Load and Re-Load also brought many new fans to Metallica, till then many Metallica's fans were trash metallers and similar but now they have fans among all kinds of people... Commercialy those albums were very important. And I can still listn to Re-Load, it is not so bad album...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
04.05.2007 - 19:43
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath

Hmmm interesting IMO all albums(whne thay had hair) are important, but I woud say 3 are more important how others

Its hard to choose order

Master Of Puppets

Kill Em All - Its begining of thrash/speed metal ist not real thrash to fats for thrash same time to heavy for speed good album

Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All - well Ride The Lighting i like it better

Garage Days CD1 - well I like CD 1 good album good vover songs, realy good songs, from CD 2 I like onlu Overkil song Motorhead cover

OK i jsut say order how I choose them albums and in this order album means much for me

Glad this makes sense... really dude, enhance your English... Seriously.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
04.05.2007 - 23:30
RavenLord
Interesting idea. For the thrash scene, I would say 'Kill 'Em All'. It was the album that effectively launched the Bay Area scene, and though Exodus had been around for (slightly) longer, the fact that 'Bonded By Blood' wasn't released until 1985 makes KEA the album that was, in effect, a manifesto for thrash. In 1983, Metallica were one of the heaviest bands around...even Slayer were only just getting off the NWOBHM bandwagon, while 'Tallica had been well established for a while. Basically, Kill 'Em All is thrash metal, chapter one (unless you want to get all the Exodus demos and the 'No Life 'Till Leather' Metallica demos).

However, for metal as a whole, I'd say Master of Puppets. It's a gateway album, and although laughable as a 'thrash' album compared to the rest of the scene in 1986, it has become one of the most recognised metal albums of all time...that's got to have a lasting effect, even though I don't view it as that good an album.

For Metallica themselves, however, it has to be the Black Album. It broke them into the mainstream (for better or for worse), and allowed them to get where they are today.

Overall, I like Kill 'Em All the most out of all of those, but I'd say that MoP is Metallica's most important moment. It really cemented their role as one of the forerunners of metal overall, and has influenced many, many bands. I still like Ride the Lightning the most, though.
----
07.05.2007 - 02:19
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Bitch Boy on 03.05.2007 at 20:16

Obviously the debut album is important for every band but I think that "Ride The Lightning" was the album that consolidated Metallica as one of the greatest (thrash) metal bands ever. (...) and the band was at its best line-up. For sure RTL was a definitive and very influential album for thrash metal, that's the reason of its importance.

Just waht you said partner. Except that RTL is my favorite Metallica album
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.05.2007 - 12:55
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
For me "Kill 'Em All" is the more important album for the debute of a new style. And for the influence to many bands in the future. It's the reason of my vote to this album.

But "Master Of Puppets" stay my favourite Metallica's album.
07.05.2007 - 14:19
MadGatsu
I dunno about the other people, but the Black Album and Master of Puppets are the top albums wherever i ask here in Portugal. And i know personally dozens of Metallica fans. Maybe Kill 'em All was the first, but that doesn't mean necessarily it was the best ;p Voted for Black Album by the way
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
07.05.2007 - 14:58
FOOCK Nam
Master Of Puppets is one of my best stuff for all times, and IMO most important for Metallica career. All stuff backward from Master Of Puppets are also my fav. Black album is listenable but seeming to lose their thrashing. To sum up, I vote for Master Of Puppets
07.05.2007 - 21:21
Ultraraw
Account deleted
"Master of Puppets" is the most influntial release from Metallica.They was gods 1986 year.
Every track on MOP rocks.I choose MOP
07.05.2007 - 21:51
angel
Account deleted
master of puppets would be the influencing..

but to me the best one is ride the lightning because of the many awesome songs and their much more awesome lyrics.
14.05.2007 - 11:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 07.05.2007 at 21:51

master of puppets would be the influencing..

but to me the best one is ride the lightning because of the many awesome songs and their much more awesome lyrics.

IMO all albums has awsoem lyrics I eman all till' Black' after 'Black' seems thay are emeotional emty to writing and compose something
----

apos;'
[image]
14.05.2007 - 17:00
magick
Account deleted
I think "Ride The Lightning" was the most influential because, it was a fantastic album that took their music to a whole other level. The album is practicually flawless capturing the band at their prime. RTL was the album that broke bariers and was truly very experimental and different from the raw KEA(the first album where you see a balad esque song such as "Fade To Black"). When most metal-heads look back they say RTL is truly the best. I don't know why people think MOP was more influential, not saying it was bad or anything, but their would be no MOP without RTL. RTL was the turning point for Metallica which made them legendary thrash metal gods....until they blew that.
15.05.2007 - 21:39
__Az__
I think from what people have been saying... Both Kill 'Em All and The Black album are very very important, and the two most important albums in Metallica's discography, however, both for different reasons..

Kill 'Em All - This album started the trash scene, and arguably, as well as being in my opinion started their greatest time as a band creating the best music. Not long after this album came Ride The Lightening, another epic thrash release all thanks to the genius behind Kill 'Em All.

Black - As Kariasakis7 said, this album propelled Metallica onto the mainstream, although they must after this wasnt of the greatest quality, In terms of the band's history, it was a defining point. Not only did the music style and quality (IMO) differ after this, but they became a band known to the world.
16.05.2007 - 04:03
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Thethink metallica has definately made some very influential albums. Kill 'em All and master of puppets were vital. But the band most important release in the Black album, not just for its popularity, it is the album which introduces new fan to the heavier side of metallica, and it is still a fantastic album. I remember hearing a quote from bob rock on the black album dvd. That the black album to this day still sells over a million copys a year.
23.05.2007 - 11:18
ToCSiN
Account deleted
Well i went for Metalica - Metallica (The Black Album)
This album seriously changed Metallica a lot and it was such an important point in their path