01. Phantom Divine (Shadow Empire) [Instrumental version]
02. RavenLight [Instrumental version]
03. Amnesiac [Instrumental version]
04. Burns To Embrace [Instrumental version]
05. Kevlar Skin [Instrumental version]
06. The Proud And The Broken [Instrumental version]
07. The Last Day Of Sunlight [bonus]

Additional info
Produced by Sascha Paeth, Mastered by Jacob Hansen.
Artwork & cover by Heilemania.

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 689 users
27.01.2018 - 20:49
Rating: 8
mikeprado30
The wait for this one begins!
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
27.01.2018 - 21:39
Rating: 6
Polaria
Written by mikeprado30 on 27.01.2018 at 20:49

The wait for this one begins!

Bring the popcorn!
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
20.03.2018 - 20:42
Evican
Ann O'War
It's a bit on the boring side. Haven is a lot better than this release.
06.04.2018 - 05:02
ohmayhem
It's definitely their most ambitious since Tommy joined the crew. The formulas are still there, but there's a lot of instrumental experimentation (mostly on the electronic/industrial side). That said, I wouldn't call it groundbreaking. It didn't instantly captivate me, but I can tell it will be a grower. At this point I totally agree with Haven being the superior release, although this one was pretty enjoyable overall.
06.04.2018 - 17:41
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Halfway through listening... so disappointing. The songs aren't necessarily *bad* per se, they are just boring and predictable. This band has become formulaic in the worst way.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
06.04.2018 - 18:13
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Curious to hear what this one has to offer. I was disappointed with their last release. It felt too formulaic. I really hope I will like this one more.
06.04.2018 - 20:40
Rating: 5
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Uhh, this is a good candidate for the "Letdown of the Year" award. The worst thing is it is not bad, it is just.. boring. Like a leftover songs from Silverthorn and Haven. You can take all the songs from those three and mix them, no one will tell the difference. But Haven and Silverthorn had a few stand out songs, to pull the overall experience out, this one lacks even that.

Karevik is doing a good job, but they miss Roy Khan in a writing capacity, I do not know if Youngblood did all the songs alone, or did Sascha Paeth helped him out, but they do need a new author and fresh approach, this album is such a waste of time and talent, first and foremost of Mr. Karevik.

It is hard to believe that this is the same band that wrote masterpieces such as "Karma", "Epica" or "The Black Halo" ... but then again, only Youngblood remains, of that lineup.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
06.04.2018 - 23:37
Enissa
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 06.04.2018 at 20:40

Uhh, this is a good candidate for the "Letdown of the Year" award. The worst thing is it is not bad, it is just.. boring. Like a leftover songs from Silverthorn and Haven. You can take all the songs from those three and mix them, no one will tell the difference. But Haven and Silverthorn had a few stand out songs, to pull the overall experience out, this one lacks even that.

Karevik is doing a good job, but they miss Roy Khan in a writing capacity, I do not know if Youngblood did all the songs alone, or did Sascha Paeth helped him out, but they do need a new author and fresh approach, this album is such a waste of time and talent, first and foremost of Mr. Karevik.

It is hard to believe that this is the same band that wrote masterpieces such as "Karma", "Epica" or "The Black Halo" ... but then again, only Youngblood remains, of that lineup.

Definitely agree. On that note, I think the quality of songwriting gets better during the second half of the album, with songs like Mindfall Remedy, The Proud and the broken, and Vespertine. The first half is so predictable and boring, and the title track sounds like Veil of Elysium with new lyrics. Even the guests are on a lower level than usual. Tommy's talents to a waste... :/
07.04.2018 - 00:10
Ellinor
Say my name / No beautifying filters / I'm craving that honest pain /

*Deletes album*
07.04.2018 - 17:02
ScottyM
Wow, this is the first Kamelot album I've listened to where not a single song stood out to me. I can find at least a couple of redeeming songs from every one of their albums, but not this one. It's so boring.

Not good. Not bad. 50/50.
07.04.2018 - 17:14
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
What a meh album... it's Silverthorn all over again. Soulless boring songs. Haven brought back Karma's simple great songwriting, catchy emotional melodies and good choruses but this new one is average at best. Not a single song stands out. The best are RavenLight which is Veil of Elysium recycled and the upbeat Kevlar Skin. Too bad, i thought they were on the right track again.
07.04.2018 - 17:32
Xyanade
We got 2018 Metalstorm Award of Disappointment entry here already.
07.04.2018 - 19:58
Kais
Everything in this album is just a "no-no". But that's just in layman's terms - I'll do a full review once I rewind this a few more times.
07.04.2018 - 20:11
Pazu
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 06.04.2018 at 20:40

As far as I know, Roy at least wrote most, if not all, of the lyrics. The guy is/was a true poet. But judging by how the writing as a whole went downhill with the small roster change, it seems like he must've had a hand in more than just the lyrics side. Tommy is a great singer, but if the songwriting isn't on par with earlier albums, everything just gets dragged down to mediocrity.
08.04.2018 - 00:03
Polaria
Ok, so I bit the bullet, bought the album and just listened to it.

I am still not sure of whether they're afraid of alienating their fans hence "stick very closely to what you do best" or if they have really run out of inspiration.

It seems to me that when you remove the fluff, the backbone of this album is somehow "thrashier" than Haven and Silverthorn.

The songs that stood out for me are Amnesiac and a couple of songs at the end of the album.
After Amnesiac I started daydreaming about what this album could have been with:
- less fluff
- more "groove thrash"
- someone in the vein of Tomi Joutsen from Amorphis as a singer.

It is really clear to me at this point that they will never be able to move forward with Karevik, he's really a great singer but the combination just doesn't work and sounds unnatural. They're clearly yearning for harsher vocals, but they prefer to use that whole guest charade (we are running out of female growlers btw) instead of making a bold decision.

Dunno how to rate the album at this stage.
----
08.04.2018 - 17:14
TemplarLS
I don't know. It's just like previous two albums, like its the unreleased tracks from Haven, and that thing with guest singers is really getting boring. Weak 6
09.04.2018 - 19:10
Rating: 7
Just having a quick listen, biggest letdown of 2018?

Quite possibly.

The second half of the record is a smidge better though, none of the songs are grabbing me as of yet.
They feel like leftovers from Haven and Silverthorne

Vespertine (My Crimson Bride) is the only track that's grabbed me so far, why couldn't the album have been more like that?
10.04.2018 - 18:42
Mountain King
K i K o
I have a feeling this will be really bad that it will force the band to change for the next album.

I will check it out this week and see for myself.
11.04.2018 - 19:09
Polaria
New Seventh Wonder song btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhubRsr11rk
Tiara is apparently out in October.
----
12.04.2018 - 19:07
Akula
Worst Kamelot album ever. Completelty uninspired, letdown 2018 here we go!.
12.04.2018 - 20:41
Polaria
Written by Mountain King on 10.04.2018 at 18:42

I have a feeling this will be really bad that it will force the band to change for the next album.

I don't know... The current fanbase seems pretty pleased to get the same album on repeat ad nauseum.
----
13.04.2018 - 00:03
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Polaria on 12.04.2018 at 20:41

Written by Mountain King on 10.04.2018 at 18:42

I don't know... The current fanbase seems pretty pleased to get the same album on repeat ad nauseum.

I heard the album twice already and there a very few songs that are worth a listen and the 2 singles released so far are horrible in my opinion. None of the songs have a wow factor for me so far and the songs sound the same more or less with a few exceptions. Also Tommy is still imitating Roy and singing in a very restricted style and range which is pretty annoying.

I don't like the album at all. This change in style was interesting on Silverthorn but it's being going down with each album. I'm a lot more pleased with the new Judas Priest or Angra.
13.04.2018 - 05:00
Nicko's Nose
Written by Mountain King on 13.04.2018 at 00:03
I don't like the album at all.

6/10 ≠ I don't like the album at all.
13.04.2018 - 07:23
mikeprado30
Maybe not their best but not IMHO the trash piece that's for many people around here
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
13.04.2018 - 10:27
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Nicko's Nose on 13.04.2018 at 05:00

Written by Mountain King on 13.04.2018 at 00:03
I don't like the album at all.

6/10 ≠ I don't like the album at all.

In comparison with their previous albums, I am disappointed. This is not to say that there is no quality or effort on this album. It is still better than their debut for example and countless other albums that are being released lately. 5 stars is not good and 4 stars is bad which I don't think is album is. It's bad by Kamelot standards but okay if released by a new band for example.
13.04.2018 - 23:08
Rating: 10
I am actually loving it. But don't make the mistake of comparing it to their previous albums. Compare it with what was released this year. And so far Kamelot, Primordial, Necrophobic, Harakiri for The Sky definitely delivered kickass albums. I gave a 10 not because it is my favorite but because they never dissapoint me.

And come on. The bands who sound like their first albums are boring as hell. It means ZERO evolution.
14.04.2018 - 02:57
Nicko's Nose
Written by flammeimwind333 on 13.04.2018 at 23:08
And come on. The bands who sound like their first albums are boring as hell. It means ZERO evolution.

Huh? Not sure what you're trying to say. Kamelot haven't evolved in nearly 15 years. Not saying there's anything wrong with that though. I like their sound. But I gotta admit listening to this album I'm kinda getting tired of that sound.
14.04.2018 - 10:13
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I've been a fan of Tommy Karevik as a vocalist since before he even joined Kamelot (I knew him from Seventh Wonder) and I thought I might get this album after some hesitation since I never could get into Kamelot's work but want to support Tommy anyway and give the band a chance. Most of the songs on here I think are very forgettable and don't leave much impact, with "MindFall Remedy" being pretty terrible in my opinion. Only a few songs stick with me and have some replay value, with those being "Kevlar Skin" and "Vespertine (My Crimson Bride)." The problem I have with this album and the previous two albums with Tommy is that while he still sounds really good, he's not allowed to truly show off what his vocals are capable of like he does with Seventh Wonder. I understand the reasoning behind it so as not to differ too much from the precedents set by Roy Khan, but still there's nothing wrong with a little bit of creative deviation and exploration as long as it sounds good. All-in-all, it's a bit of a snoozefest with some fleeting moments of interest. Oh well, at least the new SW album is coming out in October.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
22.04.2018 - 18:15
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Polaria on 11.04.2018 at 19:09

New Seventh Wonder song btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhubRsr11rk
Tiara is apparently out in October.

THIS.
27.04.2018 - 16:30
frequenzangriff
Really sorry, i don't want to sound as one of those die hard fans, the album per se isn't really bad, but but Karevik impersonating Roy Khan is just lame and uncreative.New singer = new style.
And the whole album just sounds too much like Silverthorn and a bit like Black Halo, at the end nothing new, it's just more of the same, instead of inovating they try to keep the ball up by just rehashing what was good before - sorry but i hate when bands do this and its not good.
And couldn't the album art be more bland and boring? Once more the "all powerful" metal lady with lots of photoshop crap, oh yes, a good album art makes a world of a difference to me, it's part of the albums soul!!!

Hits total: 14233 | This month: 41