Metal Storm logo
Ever feel shunned for listening to metal?

30.01.2018 - 01:27
kaiserphoenix

Does anyone ever feel judged for listening to metal? For example you are talking about music with someone and they give you the names of some bands they like and you say you like metal. Instantly they give you a weird look or seem taken back or maybe even say something like 'you don't look like you would listen to metal.'

Another big thing that happens to me constantly is when your somewhere with a group of people and everyone is taking turns picking a song via youtube or spotify and your turn comes up to pick something so you choose a metal song. Almost always everyone makes you turn it off before the song is over and will say something stupid about it or mock the song you picked.

I get that metal isn't for everyone and it's an acquired taste, but almost everywhere i go i have the same reaction from people so i wanted to ask: Does anyone ever feel the same way? and how do people treat you when they find out you listen to metal?
30.01.2018 - 01:42
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
This will always happen, yep.
The solution is: I don't talk about music with anyone anymore. Only with you guys from MS =p
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.01.2018 - 03:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
It's not exactly the easiest listening form of music out there so most people don't bother taking the time to acquire a taste for it. I don't care what people think about me listening to metal at all. I wouldn't bump Blut Aus Nord in the car with my friends, that's a vibe ruiner. Gloves of Metal though? You bet.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.01.2018 - 08:04
Marchosias

It happens with people cohabitating a space with you without your choosing alot. For example work. I usually have headphones on while working since listening to extreme metal genres allow me to analyse data easily.

Every once in a while someone will jump and say " what are you listening" and grab my headphones. The rest is the horror on their face which we all saw on someone at one point in our lives.

I think the real problem is that the insturment based music is not being listened anymore. Digitally processed music types with maybe no live instruments played are being pumped into the ears of these people. Thus creating an enviroment where sound of a guitar riff is not familiar to these people.

Thats why they are not able to distinguish anything they hear in Metal. Also there is the prejudicial douchebaggery which comes hand in hand with ignorant people..
----
A mediocre metalhead.
30.01.2018 - 13:03
infernalius

Not with me.
Most of my friends, coleagues and people i hang out with are not metalheads ... excluding a couple of them ... so no, i don't feel it at all.

I don't know your age, but I think that kind of thing might happen more when you're younger and you're triyng to fit in some group or something ... I'm almost 40 now, and basicly each one listens to what they like and do what they like, and no one gives a fuck.

But yeah, everyone knows what i listen to, and accept it, and just doesnt give any fucks about it i guess.

There's a casual joke about it sometimes, but in a good and fun way... i do the same about who likes rap or dance "music" or whatever i'm not into...
30.01.2018 - 16:57
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Perhaps the solution is to not listen only to metal. So when you get to talk to people about music or pick a song in the car you get more options than just socially unfit metal.

But mostly you shouldn't care. You have other thing to bond with people over besides music.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
30.01.2018 - 18:16
Marchosias

Written by infernalius on 30.01.2018 at 13:03

Not with me.
Most of my friends, coleagues and people i hang out with are not metalheads ... excluding a couple of them ... so no, i don't feel it at all.

I don't know your age, but I think that kind of thing might happen more when you're younger and you're triyng to fit in some group or something ... I'm almost 40 now, and basicly each one listens to what they like and do what they like, and no one gives a fuck.

But yeah, everyone knows what i listen to, and accept it, and just doesnt give any fucks about it i guess.

There's a casual joke about it sometimes, but in a good and fun way... i do the same about who likes rap or dance "music" or whatever i'm not into...

I think you're right. I am pushing 30 and by now its gotten a lot lesser. However it also depends on where you live country and neighbourhood alike i suppose.
----
A mediocre metalhead.
31.01.2018 - 00:45
kaiserphoenix

Written by infernalius on 30.01.2018 at 13:03

Not with me.

im actually 27
31.01.2018 - 00:47
kaiserphoenix

Written by RaduP on 30.01.2018 at 16:57

Perhaps the solution is to not listen only to metal. So when you get to talk to people about music or pick a song in the car you get more options than just socially unfit metal.

But mostly you shouldn't care. You have other thing to bond with people over besides music.

to be honest i really don't care and i do like other types of music, but for me metal is a big deal. before i really got into the rock/metal genre i didn't even like music
31.01.2018 - 10:31
Strangely, I have never really had any hassle from people I have met that are not into metal. I think, certainly in the UK, that it isn't a massive thing any more. However, I certainly get judged greatly from a lot of people within the metal scene for the stuff I listen to that isn't metal.
01.02.2018 - 18:13
Ethan1994

Written by Marchosias on 30.01.2018 at 08:04

I think the real problem is that the insturment based music is not being listened anymore. Digitally processed music types with maybe no live instruments played are being pumped into the ears of these people. Thus creating an enviroment where sound of a guitar riff is not familiar to these people.

Thats why they are not able to distinguish anything they hear in Metal. Also there is the prejudicial douchebaggery which comes hand in hand with ignorant people..

I'm not sure it's just the instruments. I find that even people who are largely into country, classical, jazz, classic rock, folk, and danseband music (all of which are generally played on actual instruments, including guitars) are generally startled when they hear metal music, especially extreme metal. It has more to do with the way the instruments are played. Usually I find that most people can at least get somewhat into it if they hear enough of it.
And yes, some people are just dickheads who develop bizarre superiority complexes based on the music they do like to listen to (which is sadly not exclusive to any genre). For me personally, I've never had much crap. I've had confused reactions before, asking how can I like this depressing music, etc. But I've also had metalheads ask me how I can enjoy extreme metal, and also enjoy singers like Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, Lorde, and Britney Spears.
01.02.2018 - 21:56
Feng

Written by ThrashBandicoot on 31.01.2018 at 10:31

Strangely, I have never really had any hassle from people I have met that are not into metal. I think, certainly in the UK, that it isn't a massive thing any more. However, I certainly get judged greatly from a lot of people within the metal scene for the stuff I listen to that isn't metal.

This. I have rarely if ever found myself shunned by people for listening to metal, but have definitely had weird reactions among metalheads for saying you like certain other genres or even certain metal bands. I feel like the actual metal community is more douchey about what you chose to listen to than the 'outside' world sometimes.
04.02.2018 - 01:03
Dungeon Shaker

No.

I condescend people who don't listen to metal.
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
04.02.2018 - 04:31
Mad Arab666

Written by ThrashBandicoot on 31.01.2018 at 10:31

I find a lot of Asian roadmen tend to be condescending and some them find it unusual that I as an Arab listen to metal. With other metal heads it really depends as I find metalheads in university to be pretty chilled out and whereas I find other metalheads (especially the TRVE and CVLT ones) do give me a bit of hassle for my many non metal genres that I listen to and all the Pop/R&B/house clubs I go to.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
04.02.2018 - 15:15
AljanahLyra

The same happens to me the majority of times when someone asks me about the music i like, but I also have to say that I met some people who didn't listen to metal and were still genuinely interested when I told them I listened to metal and they wanted me to show them a song and their reactions were really positive. Those reactions make up for the bad reactions I get for listening to metal^^
----
"I'm not going to fuck you Carmilla, I'm too pissed off."
~Godbrand, Castlevania~
05.02.2018 - 07:40
Marchosias

Written by Ethan1994 on 01.02.2018 at 18:13

Written by Marchosias on 30.01.2018 at 08:04

I'm not sure it's just the instruments. I find that even people who are largely into country, classical, jazz, classic rock, folk, and danseband music (all of which are generally played on actual instruments, including guitars) are generally startled when they hear metal music, especially extreme metal. It has more to do with the way the instruments are played. Usually I find that most people can at least get somewhat into it if they hear enough of it.
And yes, some people are just dickheads who develop bizarre superiority complexes based on the music they do like to listen to (which is sadly not exclusive to any genre). For me personally, I've never had much crap. I've had confused reactions before, asking how can I like this depressing music, etc. But I've also had metalheads ask me how I can enjoy extreme metal, and also enjoy singers like Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, Lorde, and Britney Spears.

So its basicly a double edged sword. I agree. Because in itself Metal Music has its superiority complexes too.

And it always puzzles me to try to judge people on what they like. It makes me a non-douché i guess and i am happy with it
----
A mediocre metalhead.
05.02.2018 - 15:49
access95

I've only ever had one bad experience with a non metal listener and that was some grumpy douche with a mid life crisis at work that asked me if i was psychotic, because i listened to metal, then i played him some Apocalypse Orchestra and he liked it, so that was that. Most people i meet who don't listen to metal just don't really give a fuck.
06.02.2018 - 10:07
Zap
Nah, though it's annoying how some people assume that just because you listen to metal you're into that one heavy band they know of.
Same goes for "metalheads." When they find out I listen to heavy music they usually try to force their crappy taste in music down my throat.
"Oh you listen to metal? Check out *band X*"
"-Yeah I've heard them and they suck..."
That second part is what I want to say most of the time.
06.02.2018 - 20:02
Sword_Chant

I've felt this way most of my life, even in my younger days when I was listening to more of the mainstream stuff (SOAD anyone?). Little do the judgmental people know that the main reason I listen to metal is the electric guitars.

I have found the best way of dealing with this is to keep the music to yourself, and to your friends if they are into metal. I think one of the bigger problems with the people who judge is they begin to associate the lyrics of a song too much into the personality of someone. Just because the lyrics are about death or killing or whatever, they think we end up doing those things or that we think about doing that thing. Which isn't true!
09.02.2018 - 07:36
Lord Slothrop

I felt that way when I was younger, but not for quite some time. It was so bad in high school, the metal heads would sometimes get spit upon. It never happened to me, but it did to a couple of my friends. I'm 47 now and most people just find it interesting that I enjoy extreme forms of metal.
03.03.2018 - 15:08
VIG
Account deleted
I just remembered last year (my freshman year) I would go to the music club and blast Gnaw Their Tongues in the back of the room just to freak people out, and they would say "Can you turn that down now? Your gonna get in trouble".

One time my teacher asked me what the whole idea of harsh noise was and I played GTT's "The Atrocious Angel Of Scatology" and really loud the speaker's went: "Covered with feces.. she plunged down from the black void". Good times
20.05.2018 - 13:04
WayTooManyCDs

I definitely felt that way some years ago but I feel like it partly came from me being a loner so only listening to extreme metal wasn't exactly helping me find commonality with people around me. I was one of those with the "Oh, you listen to Metallica? Those guys aren't even heavy" mentality so even others who were into metal were kind of like "meh" because I took it too far. Since I've opened myself up to more genres that others can appreciate more easily I find that people are more accepting of the crazier stuff I listen to, even if they don't care to hear it themselves. I think it's hard for others to really grasp the value metal has for those of us that enjoy it and without any other frame of reference we just appear to be crazy people to them.
22.05.2018 - 23:43
EricAxel36

I try to avoid telling people I listen to metal because I don't want to talk about something with someone that knows nothing about it. The first question is always "Oh, like Metallica?" and I just want to face-palm, or if someone asks me "What bands? " and I just know it's pointless to say because they don't know them.

And don't get me started on people who think harsh vocals = screamo.
"yeah the last band I was in was pretty heavy"
"like screamo?"
23.05.2018 - 02:27
tominator
At best deranged
Written by EricAxel36 on 22.05.2018 at 23:43

And don't get me started on people who think harsh vocals = screamo.

Funny thing is, a couple of years ago I was sitting next to someone that I knew from class while listening to some metal.

He was like: "Wait? Don't tell me you are into that screamo metal kind of stuff."

I was listening to Iced Earth - Plagues Of Babylon......

Not even to a band which uses really harsh vocals.
23.05.2018 - 04:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by CountessBathory on 22.05.2018 at 06:25

Plenty of my friends think it's appropriate to mock my music, but if I dare make a lighthearted joke about whatever music they prefer, I'm dismissed as an elitists.

Ha! Typical.

Funny thing is that non-metalheads also mock music among themselves. At least those who are only into mainstream music always seem to have really extreme opinions on random songs. Like... say they are into pop. Then the songs they like are gold but they shit on any pop song which is mildly uninteresting to them. And as a metalhead I listen to both songs and am like "wth? These sound exactly the same... There's no way one would love one and hate the other"
Quote:

And to be fair, it's not unreasonable,

What? It's the most unreasonable thing, really.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
30.05.2018 - 13:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by EricAxel36 on 22.05.2018 at 23:43

I try to avoid telling people I listen to metal because I don't want to talk about something with someone that knows nothing about it. The first question is always "Oh, like Metallica?" and I just want to face-palm, or if someone asks me "What bands? " and I just know it's pointless to say because they don't know them.

Last line like that I got was "Like Metallica or ACDC?"
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.06.2018 - 12:26
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
My t-shirts do a lot of talking. Metallica, Slayer. Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, Asphyx and Agoraphobic Nosebleed. I always repeat Agora for shock reactions. Even in my early days in office(when the uniform wasn't provided), I use to wear metal tees to see how people feel uncomfortable and to my least surprise, I'd get warnings.

I always get eyebrows raised on my plausible behavior of violently attacking anyone if gets involved in a heated debate or shutting up my boss in group meetings due to a possibility of my erratic behavior. None of them came true.

As said above, I don't even share my musical taste as well. To my surprise, they come to know what I'm up to and some of them have started striking a conversation about my favorite bands.

Our HR team is one step ahead of NSA/CIA. They installed a software tracking our computer systems day-to-day activities, which to their surprise, always found that in my leisure time I always hung on Metal Storm, Bandcamp or Twitter. Mind you, the dimensions to evaluate employees here can give a run for their money to high school stature. My performance chart is phenomenal( which guarantees my increments) but always performed poorly in social skills -- which by the way HR team thinks I should be depressed about.

India is a fun place.
12.06.2018 - 00:58
jhonperker

I try to avoid telling people I listen to metal because I don't want to talk about something with someone that knows nothing about it. I am a big fan of metal. Who are interested they can gather more information from Apple Support Australia they provide the information which will you need.
12.06.2018 - 01:35
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by jhonperker on 12.06.2018 at 00:58

I try to avoid telling people I listen to metal because I don't want to talk about something with someone that knows nothing about it. I am a big fan of metal. Who are interested they can gather more information from Apple Support Australia they provide the information which will you need.

This bot post made so much sense I almost clicked the bait
----
- Reimu Hakurei
12.06.2018 - 10:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by jhonperker on 12.06.2018 at 00:58

/spam