Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards - Voting Is Closed

All that build-up, all that preparation, and once again the month of February seemed to fly right by (being the shortest month, it's probably entitled to do that). We hate to see the Awards go after such a fleeting adventure, but this is what the whole shebang leads up to: determining the champions of the year's metal offering.

It's quite common that we get one album nominated for everything (by the way, uh, don't do that). Last year, it was Death Grips's Bottomless Pit (first of all, she doesn't even go here); this year, it was Igorrr's Savage Sinusoid, an album that, if nothing else, is actually featured on Metal Storm. Now, Savage Sinusoid is a great album - some would say an exceptional album - some would say a wicked pissah album, but they all live in Boston - but no album can be the best in EVERY category, and if it were, we'd put it in Avant-Garde and call it a day. Our other contender for "Unseemly MSA Perpetrator of the Year" goes to the knobhead who wrote in a trap album for every category. Please learn to read.

Moving right along, as always, y'all could have predicted the winners in most categories within the first five minutes. Gothic was pretty close, Ex Prog was neck-and-neck for a while, and Power had enough big names to make pretend competition, but Alternative, Death, Heavy, and others fell to comfortable leads. Thrash got annihilated, as expected, and poor Extreme Doom never stood a chance, even with the success of last year's #AddSpectralVoice2017 campaign. You guys can be viciously decisive sometimes. One of these days, we're just going to give Septicflesh the "Permanent Victors of Symphonic Metal Forever" award and move along. Biggest Letdown was almost interesting: we had Ensiferum, Arch Enemy, and Anathema, three titanic presences of sadly dwindling report, all vying for the lead - or second place, rather. You'll remember why once you see who won. They might be nothing more than a big inside joke at this point, but? we'll have to let you guys have it this time. It's a genuine homespun tradition.

Speaking of Arch Enemy? color us shocked, because our prediction turned out to be embarrassingly incorrect. What was seemingly the unquestioned biggest contender in Melodeath (a category that gets brutally swept up every year) has, in fact, been overtaken. At the end of the day, it's still Mors Principium Est - it's not as though a serious underdog like Duskmourn or Noumena came up to swipe the gold - but, hey, an upset's an upset, no matter how small.

Equally unanticipated was Dream Theater's fifth-place run in Biggest Letdown, with their (read carefully) 2016 album The Astonishing. Come on, guys. It was two years ago. Get over it. Biggest Surprise, meanwhile, fell to Trivium. Fair play, we suppose; The Sin And The Sentence ain't exactly Shogun, but it was admittedly unexpected of a declining metalcore-turned-hard rock band to put out something actually pretty okay. The real Biggest Surprise, though, was, as one sagacious write-in put it, "Wintersun - Releasing something other than a statement about why they haven't released anything."

We've given away some of the exciting bits, but there are more categories than we care to mention all at once here, so by all means continue your foray into the MSA results and start complaining about who got robbed and who's overrated. Remember: it's not about who won or lost; it's about discovering new music. Just because the voting is closed doesn't mean you can't keep listening.
Posted: 01.03.2018 by BitterCOld

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 65   Visited by: 590 users
05.03.2018 - 20:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Liafev on 05.03.2018 at 20:04

I was actually surprised that MS thought they would win the title in this genre.

For the simple reason that big names almost always win... and particularly in Melodeath (check the previous editions and you'll understand )
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
05.03.2018 - 22:41
Liafev

Written by Darkside Momo on 05.03.2018 at 20:56

I was actually surprised that MS thought they would win the title in this genre.

For the simple reason that big names almost always win... and particularly in Melodeath (check the previous editions and you'll understand )

I gave the MS10 awards a look and understood what you mean ^^
05.03.2018 - 23:59
WorpeX
Made of Metal

Written by Hellcult on 01.03.2018 at 14:08

So it seemslike Arch Enemy manage to get 2nd place twice as for the best(in melodeath) and the most dissapointing band lol !?
But i thing votes speak for themselfs

191 votes (i have voted here ) = The Best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal Album - Metal Storm Awards 2017
28 votes = The Biggest Letdown - Metal Storm Awards 2017

It looks like it is a very good melodeath for most of us rather than disappointment

I was actually surprised that MS thought they would win the title in this genre. To me this album is very disappointing from the 4th track until the end .. Not bad, sure, but not nearly as good as the previous ones. I felt Wolfheart should have won this title by far, but they are no popular enough apparently ...

Wolfheart won by a landslide in 2015. I don't think it was that they weren't popular enough... I just think the album wasn't good enough. Both Mors and Aether Realm put out better melodeath records this year, IMO.
06.03.2018 - 02:06
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Liafev on 05.03.2018 at 22:41

Written by Darkside Momo on 05.03.2018 at 20:56

I gave the MS10 awards a look and understood what you mean ^^

Yep, ten years, and a whopping 3 different bands
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
08.03.2018 - 00:09
nikarg

Written by WorpeX on 05.03.2018 at 23:59

Both Mors and Aether Realm put out better melodeath records this year, IMO.

They sure did.

Hits total: 6772 | This month: 9