06. Astral Projection
07. Discarnate Entity
08. Subvisions
09. Manifestations
10. Timeless
11. Ultra Demons
12. Layers Of Reality
13. Electro Magnetic

So you thought that Obsideo would be the last Pestilence album and I did too. Well, we were both wrong because Hadeon is here!

After four groundbreaking albums in the late '80s/early '90s era, Patrick Mameli and co. broke up in 1994 and reunited in 2008 releasing three more records. The band's second disbandment (or break-up, or hiatus, or whatever) in 2014 insinuated the unlikelihood of a new addition in their studio discography, but here they are now with new music and I have to say I approached this with caution since I couldn't really see how Pestilence could keep anyone interested after their post-reunion mediocre releases.

I would very much like to use a physics metaphor to describe Hadeon but I completely suck in this field and prefer to stick to what I know best. Pestilence have also restricted themselves to what they do best in their latest offering and this is why it works so well. The final product is multi-dimensional; old-school brutal, yet complex and technical, with proficient, flashy and ripping solos making their appearance in a very convincing way.

The initial cover artwork choice was ditched when band and label found out that parts of it were copied and stolen, but Pestilence have not exactly refrained from plagiarising themselves. However, this is more than alright, because they have revived their early death metal sound and mixed it with the technical/progressive prowess and the jazzy/funky/sci-fi cinematic quirkiness they became famous for. Another characteristic of theirs is that they have always known better than to overstay their welcome, so in just 39 minutes you get what could have easily been the follow-up to Testimony Of The Ancients.

Tracks like "Non Physical Existent" with its relentless and infectious riffing, "Astral Projection" with an insane opening, followed by atmospheric synths and robot-sounding vocals, the bass-driven "Manifestations" and the closing banger "Electro Magnetic" are on par with the death metal veterans' best moments of yore. Most songs have something memorable and noteworthy going for them and the record flows effortlessly putting a smile on the listener's face.

This album is comfortably placed higher than anything the band has released since the criminally underrated Spheres and, if they so decide, Hadeon definitely deserves to be Pestilence's swan song.

"Astral flight - through space and time,
Faster than light - imaginary might,
You'll soon realise - that life is just a lie,
That we really cannot die - and there are no goodbyes"

Written on 02.03.2018 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 137 users
02.03.2018 - 01:25
VIG
Account deleted
A 7.5 is fair, yeah. I'd give it a 7.8-8.0 myself. Great review as always, Old Nick
02.03.2018 - 01:34
nikarg

Written by Guest on 02.03.2018 at 01:25

A 7.5 is fair, yeah. I'd give it a 7.8-8.0 myself. Great review as always, Old Nick

I was between 7.5 and 8 myself. It doesn't really matter, it's a pretty good album and as a longtime fan I am happy for it.
04.03.2018 - 11:43
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Average album, more around 4.5-5. Same old free jazz atonal nonsense mixed with death metal. Mameli does the same old mistakes as most death metal artists these days, they intellectualize a music genre that is not meant to be intellectualized. You either kick ass or retire. What's so great about this album, I don't get it. Playing random note/riffs isn't the peak of 'artistic expression'. The only merit is that it ain't as horrible as Spheres was. While Sphere was severely atonal and ugly, this one is slightly more restrained. Which doesn't say much anyway. Kids, grab first 3 albums, particularly albums 2-3 and avoid the rest. Ain't worth it. Ever since Mameli became both lead vocalist and band leader (i.e. ever since he got rid of Drunen) his ego sky rocketed. This guy was so daft that some years ago he did tours without singing a single song from the classic 3 albums. I rest my case.

If you listened to the albums beginning with Spheres, then you've listened them all. They all sound the same. It all depends on the level of atonality.
08.03.2018 - 20:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 02.03.2018 at 01:34

Written by Guest on 02.03.2018 at 01:25

I was between 7.5 and 8 myself. It doesn't really matter, it's a pretty good album and as a longtime fan I am happy for it.

old Nick, are you Nick Holmes?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2018 - 20:51
nikarg

Written by Bad English on 08.03.2018 at 20:56

old Nick, are you Nick Holmes?

I wish...

Hits total: 5172 | This month: 17