Metal Storm logo
At The Gates - Debut New Album's First Single

If you wanted to hear new music from At The Gates, today is your lucky day! The Swedish melodeath legends are back with a new album after four years. To Drink From The Night Itself is due out on May 18th, 2018 via Century Media Records and is available for pre-order now. As for the music, the first single and video clip showcases the album's title track. If you're curious about it, watch it below. The video clip was directed by the prolific Patric Ullaeus/Revolver.se ( In Flames, Arch Enemy, Dimmu Borgir).

Frontman Tomas Lindberg commented about the track as follows: "So, for the first song to present to the public, we chose the title track of the album. Which is also the opening track of the record. To us, this gives a presentation of the attitude of the album: raw, hungry and desperate. It also gives an introduction to the whole concept of the record. We live through our art, and the whole album deals with the concept of art. Art as a tool either for revolution, or suppression. To drink from the night itself is just that, a metaphor for living and breathing through art. Of course the concept goes deeper than that, but this song is the heart of the concept, the fierce call to arms so to say. We are still at war, but this time we are fighting the abyss, the abyss of apathy and oppression. It is an aggressive song, but also contains a lot of the other elements of the band´s sound on this record. Melancholia, desperation and struggle. For the first video we chose to use Patric Ullaeus again, as he is good at capturing the raw energy of the band playing live. In the video you can also see glimpses of the art used for the cover, so it binds it all together nicely. Enjoy."

In related news, At The Gates have been announced to be part of the Flexi Series by U.S. magazine Decibel, which features a special new rendition of "Raped By The Light Of Christ (2018)" alongside their next issue.

Source: centurymedia.com
Band profile: At The Gates
Posted: 02.03.2018 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 19   Visited by: 226 users
02.03.2018 - 15:38
metaladdicted
Account deleted
I think this is an At the Gates tribute song from some old dudes with zero creativity and shitty vocal.
02.03.2018 - 16:09
Sangre Sani

Average, sadly.
The vocals are somewhat too smooth and too far in the back.
02.03.2018 - 18:48
Gothmog_Motsham

I really like it, I think it's a grower, and I think people are being too judgmental on ATG as they don't want them to come back.
02.03.2018 - 18:53
IBlackened

Not terrible but not great either. Just run of the mill.
----
Their old stuff is better.
02.03.2018 - 20:06
Balthazaar

I really like it. Maybe nothing more than just an another At The Gates, but it's a masterpiece as others. So, I'm wating for the new act as then before.
02.03.2018 - 20:09
Necrodamus

Song doesn't really grab you the way the last album's title track did. Riffs are subpar to me. Song is definitely aggressive though. Will be interesting to hear what the rest of the album has to offer.
02.03.2018 - 20:27
Darkside Momo
Retired
I've got quite a Slaughter Of The Soul (the album) vibe. Decent stuff, not exceptionnal but decent.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.03.2018 - 21:25
EricAxel36

Sounds better than their last album. Video and song feel like a Blinded By Fear throwback. Was hoping for a little solo in there.
02.03.2018 - 23:35
Sanderkill

B-O-R-I-N-G
It's not 1996. Move on please.
03.03.2018 - 09:25
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
New song but very familiar sound. I like how there is a brief drum solo, rather than the typical guitar solo. I've always enjoyed Adrian Erlandsson's work with ATG, even if it mostly sounds all the same. Funnily enough, I reckon his best work was with Paradise Lost on The Plague Within, which is very different.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
04.03.2018 - 08:56
VikinkiQc

I'm surprised that anyone comment (or notice...but I l be surprise) about the song having a lot of similarity with Dark Tranquillity ! Thats not a bad thing by the way but DT do it so much better...
04.03.2018 - 10:49
Joe Zombie

Solid track. I only wish Tomas would do more with Disfear.
04.03.2018 - 12:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Sanderkill on 02.03.2018 at 23:35

B-O-R-I-N-G
It's not 1996. Move on please.

Some people want them to move on, others want them to keep doing what they did in 1996.

They can never satisfy everyone =P
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.03.2018 - 18:35
More SOTS worship, time to evolve guys. It's not 96 anymore.

However, if this album is anything like the last one it'll be a solid but average listen.
05.03.2018 - 18:02
Alondate

C'mon elitists show yourselves. At the gates released something. It is time to bash
06.03.2018 - 05:16
Opethian

Digging this. I'm hoping the rest is as good or greater! Cheers
06.03.2018 - 23:21
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Moderately enjoyable but really nothing special to me. The production is pretty interesting though, sounds a bit less polished than their last album if I'm remembering correctly.
06.03.2018 - 23:35
TonyMartinson

I like it!
30.03.2018 - 20:17
MyNameJeff

I don't understand the hate. This track has some awesome riffs.

Hits total: 3924 | This month: 3