02. The Slain
03. Damned Below Judas
04. Drinking With The King Of The Dead
05. Forever War
06. Feeding The Demons
07. Floating
08. Let Them Hate
09. Absolution

Years after years, albums after albums, the Danish combo Hatesphere is still alive and still able to release great pieces of music. After the great "The Sickness Within" released in 2005, Jacob Moeasgard and his band mates are back this year with a new "killing" album, " Serpent Smiles And Killer Eyes". Nothing really new that's maybe right but with this new CD believe me, the top quality is still here.

That's a fact, " Serpent Smiles And Killer Eyes" is not something really new, especially if you already know Hatesphere's discography. But if the band didn't manage to add something new to their music, you can be sure of one thing, as always it's great melodic Death Metal. However, don't expect "old school" Death, Hatesphere always mixes melodic sonorities with Death, Thrash and Hardcore and of course as always the nine new songs of the album will be perfect for the pit and the moshers. But it's catchy, full of anger and energy, a bit like with The Crown and all the tracks are pure "in your face" hits. The recipe didn't change a lot since 2005 and the last album but it works and if you like the music of the band, you'll not have any surprise with this release but you'll have quality.

Plus, the performance of Jacob Moeasgard is one more time impressive. I have nothing to say against the other musicians too, they're great but the performance of the charismatic Jacob with his great Death/Hardcore voice is one more time amazing and yeah I can say that he adds something special to the music of the band. Without him, I'm not sure that it could be the same because he has something special in his tonalities and expressions and I have to say that he is, for me, one of the best singers of the style. Also, " Serpent Smiles And Killer Eyes" is perfectly produced and the nine tracks are all really well recorded. Though, I have to add that the album is a bit short with only nine songs and simply 40 mins of music (but maybe that it's short because it's good and because I didn't have enough of music after all ).

" Serpent Smiles And Killer Eyes" is not revolutionary but it's a good album and I can tell you that if you like Hatesphere you'll not be disappointed by this new release. Powerful as hell, you can be sure that you'll have some great new songs for your frenetic pit armageddons! Fans of Melodic Death, fans of Hardcore, fans of great Metal " Serpent Smiles And Killer Eyes" is for you!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 07.05.2007

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 23 users
07.05.2007 - 17:47
Cut-Throat

good review except Hatesphere are not melodic death. there are a thrash/death band.
17.05.2007 - 01:19
Rating: 7
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Good review Jeff.

I'm agree with you, this album isn't revolutionary, it stays in the continuity of the group, but it remains very effective.

I've got it and I love it .
19.07.2007 - 17:22
Infurnace

I like this cd. It's some pretty good Death/Thrash Metal. Good review man! I'm looking forward to their show on Wacken.

Hits total: 4563 | This month: 9