09. Helvetesfönster
10. Life Eternal
11. It's A Sin [Pet Shop Boys cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]
12. Avalanche [Leonard Cohen cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]

The Best Hard Rock Album Of 2018

Staff review by
nikarg
Rating:
You all know the stories behind Ghost's unmasking, the subsequent lawsuits and Cardinal Copia replacing Papa Emeritus III, so let's cut to the chase.

Read more ››
published 12.06.2018 | Comments (21)

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 78   Visited by: 998 users
17.08.2018 - 07:40
solar

Oh my god haha, Pet Shop Boys cover. I love Ghost's covers.
22.09.2018 - 19:12
Rating: 6
metalbrat

What a waste of time....most boring.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
08.03.2019 - 15:09
Rating: 8
gavdann

Written by EsotericSpiritc on 19.06.2018 at 10:23

This album is a pile of vomit. I generously gave it a four out of ten. People (especially those just getting into metal) need to think outside of this band and all of those borderline bands (Butcher Babies, Threat Signal, and that wavelength).

Judas Priest, Fractal Gates, Sinistro, Kataklysm, and Nervosa have put out good albums in terms of 2018 releases.

For sure if someone was getting in to metal for the first time, I'd recommend Kataklysm
03.04.2019 - 05:55
Rating: 9
tintinb

This album caught Ghost'd soul for me. I loved it way too much and I really wanted to hate it. The songs in the middle of the album are really really nice.
----
Leeches everywhere.
20.11.2019 - 23:25
Guib
Thrash Talker
I tried very hard to understand all the negativity surrounding this album since day one.

I didn't get it then, I still don't get it today.

This album is awesome, if you're a fan of Ghost, you will like it. Not sure why you wouldn't?
I mean unless you're that type who thinks a band should always release the exact same thing that sounds the exact same way.

Yeah.. Then you won't like it. Because it's not Meliora, it's not Opus and it's not Infest. It's Prequelle.
It sounds different, it sounds good, its catchy, there's pop influences a plenty mixed with hard rock. Just spin it, do it for you...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.11.2019 - 00:30
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Guib on 20.11.2019 at 23:25

I mean unless you're that type who thinks a band should always release the exact same thing that sounds the exact same way.

Yeah.. Then you won't like it. Because it's not Meliora, it's not Opus and it's not Infest. It's Prequelle.

So are you saying that the 3 previous records were all the same? Because I liked Meliora (still their best imo) and Opus Eponymous. Thought Infestissumam was ok. And this one is probably their weakest (between a 6 and 7 for me).

So either Opus and Meliora are albums that are exactly the same stuff or I'm not a fan of Ghost (even though Meliora is one of my favourite records of 2015).

Or maybe this album doesn't work for me. And perhaps that's also the case for some other people here. Now I'm not defending the 1s or 2s that were given to this album, because frankly I think an album rarely deserves to get a score like that. However, that's my opinion on giving scores, others might see that differently.

But honestly to say that someone dislikes this album because they are not a fan of the band or because they only like to hear the same thing over and over again is a bit of a blunt thing to say imo.
26.11.2019 - 18:23
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well yeah, I'm blunt and I'm quite tired of hearing so much crap said about this album. So perhaps it was a little inconsiderate of me but I don't really care.

And no you're right Opus, Infest and Meliora are not the same album, but share much more in common than Prequelle ever will and I think that the
ballad-like feel and poppy twist to it is what detracts most people from the album. There's still Rats or Faith that are more in the veins of "classic Ghost" if that
is even a thing. In any case, I love what they did, I love bands who take risks and try different avenues and go out of their way to deliver a different sound every time
without losing the touch that makes them who they are. Ghost is a good example of that In my opinion.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.11.2019 - 21:41
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Guib on 26.11.2019 at 18:23

Well yeah, I'm blunt and I'm quite tired of hearing so much crap said about this album. So perhaps it was a little inconsiderate of me but I don't really care.

And no you're right Opus, Infest and Meliora are not the same album, but share much more in common than Prequelle ever will and I think that the
ballad-like feel and poppy twist to it is what detracts most people from the album. There's still Rats or Faith that are more in the veins of "classic Ghost" if that
is even a thing. In any case, I love what they did, I love bands who take risks and try different avenues and go out of their way to deliver a different sound every time
without losing the touch that makes them who they are. Ghost is a good example of that In my opinion.

I can understand that frustration. I used to feel that as well whenever an album that I really liked got crapped on. But as of now, I honestly have the feeling "Well I don't care, I like it so I'm going to continue enjoying this record, doesn't matter what others think about it.".

I like it when bands experiment. I'm completely open to the idea of doing something else. However, that doesn't necessarily mean I will like the new experimentation on the record. And that's fine. I rather have a band that gets a 4/10, 5/10 or 6/10 (from me) for an album they experimented on than a dull attempt at rehashing the same material over and over again.

In this case, yes it's the poppy twist that impacts my enjoyability of this record. Because I'm quite ok with pop influences, here and there but usually it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. Basically some songs work perfectly with the pop vibe, others I just dislike. And that often happens for me personally. Slipknot's latest record also had that (by lack of a better word) "issue" imo.
04.12.2019 - 18:33
Guib
Thrash Talker
Fair enough I get what you're saying and I agree that its not because they experiment new stuff that you should automatically like it.

It just happens to have worked on me I guess. Fun talk though, I get your point of view completely.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
09.01.2020 - 01:52
Hrodebert

I had to come back to this after a while as I was a bit disappointed with this album, and I am a huge Ghost fan, but still this album is half lacking to me. Rats and Dance Macbre are super catchy and fun. Pro Memoria and Witch Image are stellar songs, but over half of this album is just boring to me. I don't get the hate from Ghost fans either, I don't hate the album just a bit disappointed
09.01.2020 - 11:12
gavdann

Written by Hrodebert on 09.01.2020 at 01:52

I had to come back to this after a while as I was a bit disappointed with this album, and I am a huge Ghost fan, but still this album is half lacking to me. Rats and Dance Macbre are super catchy and fun. Pro Memoria and Witch Image are stellar songs, but over half of this album is just boring to me. I don't get the hate from Ghost fans either, I don't hate the album just a bit disappointed

Pro Memoria is probably the weakest track on the album for me. The "Don't you forget about dying, don't you forget about your friend death" line is incredibly cringe worthy.
09.01.2020 - 16:17
Hrodebert

Written by gavdann on 09.01.2020 at 11:12

Pro Memoria is probably the weakest track on the album for me. The "Don't you forget about dying, don't you forget about your friend death" line is incredibly cringe worthy.

But cringe is kinda Ghost's charm, making cringe worthy things catchy and entertaining
10.01.2020 - 14:27
gavdann

Written by Hrodebert on 09.01.2020 at 16:17

Written by gavdann on 09.01.2020 at 11:12

But cringe is kinda Ghost's charm, making cringe worthy things catchy and entertaining

On Prequelle was the first time some of their lyrics made me cringe.
14.01.2020 - 04:26
Rating: 9
CWA

I think this is Ghost's most interesting album, and therefore my favorite.
19.06.2020 - 01:07
Rating: 5
Timelord

I just do not do not get the appeal of this band other than the visual theatrics. I have tried listening to them several times but the MUSIC just doesn't grab me. This album is beyond boring for me personally.
05.01.2021 - 21:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Small updates what might be worth to mention

[A Message From The Clergy]
Dear Friends,
I hope this message finds you relatively well and hopeful for the future. Needless to say, we have all experienced a strange year -some of us an absolutely devastating year with loved ones passing, loneliness and a very somber outlook for the future. Yet there is some distance to go before we are somewhat back to where we'd regard life as normal again.
With this , I want you all to know that we are working diligently on several big things for next year, so please do not confuse our silence with inactivity.
And I confess, I wanted to reach out to let you all know we miss you, eternally.
News pertaining to 2021 will be rolled out throughout the new year, so I ask for nothing but your patience.
In the interim, focus on taking care of yourselves and your loved ones. Have hope and strive for a better and more optimistic future, because it's all within reach. We are almost there.
Let's end this year with the knowledge that the roaring TWENTIES will begin in 2021!
Happy Holidays and much love
/A Nameless Ghoul
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.05.2021 - 23:03
Mehrad

Helvetesfönster and Rats are pretty good
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
03.05.2022 - 20:38
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
The album was off to a banger with "Rats", my favourite song on the album, but then went a wee bit down hill from there, I can't say this album really exited me that much tbh, there are one or two decent tracks, but there are some really poor tracks also, and the songwriting for the most part, simply didn't work for me as much this time, and compared to their previous releases, this just seemed to lack that overall consistency.

They have tried their best to keep their sound fresh again, by throwing in one or two more influences, and a wider array of instruments, particularly wind instruments, such as the saxophone, giving a jazz fusion vibe on "Miasma", aswel as the flute on "Helvetesfönster", I'm also getting a Greatful Dead vibe on "Pro Memoria". But I miss that groovy 60's psychedelic sound from their previous albums.

Hits total: 16380 | This month: 34