Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Receive Polar Music Prize, Ghost And Candlemass Members Perform

The iconic metal band Metallica has received Sweden's prestigious Polar Music Prize. In a ceremony broadcast live on Swedish national television, Metallica's Lars Ulrich and Roberto Trujillo along with fellow laureate Afghanistan National Institute of Music (ANIM) and Dr. Ahmad Sarmast, accepted the award at the Konserthuset in Stockholm, Sweden from His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. You can watch the acceptance speech and some performances now here.

Deep Purple's Ian Paice and Roger Glover introduced Metallica. Ghost frontman Tobias Forge, along with members of Candlemass and the Swedish duo Vargas & Lagola, performed Metallica's "Enter Sandman" to honor the winners. Refused frontman Dennis Lyxzén and former Motörhead drummer Mikkey Dee covered "Whiplash," and Swedish multi-instrumentalist Loney Dear handled "No Leaf Clover/Wherever I May Roam."

The band said: "The Polar Music Prize was founded in 1989 by the late Stig "Stikkan" Anderson, a true legend in the history of Swedish popular music as the publisher, lyricist and manager of ABBA. The name of the prize stems from Anderson's renowned record label, Polar Music, and each year the Polar Music Prize awards two laureates in order to celebrate music in all its various forms and to emphasize the original intention of the prize: to break down musical boundaries by bringing together people from all different worlds of music and promote geographical and musical diversity. We are in awe of the distinguished, diverse group of laureates we will be joining including Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Chuck Berry, Sonny Rollins, Yo-Yo Ma, Dizzy Gillespie, Isaac Stern and Ennio Morricone just to name a few of the previous award recipients."

Each honoree receives a total amount of one million SEK and Metallica will be donating that prize to their foundation, All Within My Hands.

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 15.06.2018 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 6   Visited by: 117 users
15.06.2018 - 15:44
Deviant

Ghostlemass? Interesting...
15.06.2018 - 18:33
gavrosaurus

OMG

Just terrible.
I mean, the sense is that of Eurovision or whatever.
Not a drop of honesty to be found here.
And I do love Candlemass.
Cashtallica? Why bother anymore...
15.06.2018 - 20:56
Hellcult

Omg....
Metallica was amazing till ...'And Justice For All', very good at 'Black Album', and average at ' Load' albums afterwards its a total disaster up to the last album - now its ok 6/10
If the prize is for the 'old days' than yes they deserve it propably more than anybody else .
But last 11 years....
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
15.06.2018 - 23:21
Zap
Don't care about awards nonsense but that No Leaf Clover cover was actually quite great. As was the Master Of Puppets one. All the other covers were just bleh.
16.06.2018 - 12:08
nikarg

Written by gavrosaurus on 15.06.2018 at 18:33

OMG

Just terrible.
I mean, the sense is that of Eurovision or whatever.

Hilarious stuff. I'd like to see this band cover Metallica at some point.
16.06.2018 - 12:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
It's funny that Robert Trujillo gets to go to these things because he wasn't a part when Metallica created the music that granted them the awards.

But it is what it is.

No Leaf Clover is such a cool song though, cool version
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 2799 | This month: 4