01. He Av En
02. Trials
03. Sorrow
04. Under The Fragmented Sky
05. Shadows
06. Rinsing The Night
07. The Art Of Repairing
08. Untamed

When Mariusz Duda of Riverside announced this album as both an anniversary of the Lunatic Soul project and as an extension of the previous album, Fractured, the question arose, will it be more like Amnesiac to Kid A, definitely similar and fitting together but able to stand on its own, or like Beyond Magnetic to Death Magnetic, acting as merely an addendum of extra stuff?

Duda himself said that Under The Fragmented Sky was supposed to be an EP, but he wound up with 36 minutes of material. Knowing this, it's understandable to go into the album expecting the latter answer to the question. The title track, which comes from a lyric in Fractured's "A Thousand Shards Of Heaven", is one of only two tracks, along with "Untamed", to contain any lyrics, and the only ones that feel like actual songs. Elsewhere, the lyrics are pretty much nonexistent, leaving room for Duda to experiment with sounds however he wishes.

And this creates an album with less of a conventional album feeling, sounding instead more like a collection of sound vignettes. And the electronic nature of the music did give me a similar feeling to something like Boards Of Canada, in the sound collage sense. Under The Fragmented Sky is no Geogaddi, but fans of either will surely enjoy the other, thus creating building blocks to bridge the gap between prog and electronic that has been left unattended since its glory days in the '70s with Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, and Jean Michel-Jarre. The track with the most obvious nods to the era is "The Art Of Repairing", which features some very retro-sounding synths. Add some 808s And Heartbreak Autotune to it and there's more bridges built already.

The album fittingly ends with "Untamed"; after walking us through a lot of enchanting sound experimentation, it feels like everything comes together in the end and it was a moment that the listener has to win. Duda's vocals are emotive all the way through, even through the lyric-less songs like "He Av En" or "The Art Of Repairing". The music goes from hopeful to cinematic to nostalgic, thus covering a wide array of moods in its short run time. Despite the experimental nature of the record, it is much more coherent that expected, even though there is some slight inconsistency in the flow.

Comparisons to Fractured are unneeded; this is a different kind of record. While Under A Fragmented Sky works better in pairs with its genesis album, there is not much holding it back from being enjoyed on its own, granted that you know how to approach it.

Written on 18.06.2018 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 76 users
18.06.2018 - 16:51
MetalManic
Nicely said. Thank you!
20.06.2018 - 11:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I am proud I hate this project and riverside, its not even close to non metal music what trOO and poser metalheads can like. Sames goes for Riverside, most overated band out from Poland, same as Behemoth but this is more.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.06.2018 - 12:00
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Bad English on 20.06.2018 at 11:47

I am proud I hate this project and riverside, its not even close to non metal music what trOO and poser metalheads can like. Sames goes for Riverside, most overated band out from Poland, same as Behemoth but this is more.

Ok, shit taste
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
20.06.2018 - 13:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite

In that case, I'm not a true whatever and I'm obviously a poser metalhead. I even listen to pop, indie and all that sin music.

And Riverside is underrated if anything, a lot more people should know how amazing they are.

On topic, I've heard good things about this album but still haven't had time to check it out. Good job on the review though
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.06.2018 - 08:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 20.06.2018 at 13:38

In that case, I'm not a true whatever and I'm obviously a poser metalhead. I even listen to pop, indie and all that sin music.

And Riverside is underrated if anything, a lot more people should know how amazing they are.

On topic, I've heard good things about this album but still haven't had time to check it out. Good job on the review though

I listen folk, blues, country, a bit jazz, and so on same time I like prog rock but noisy weird bands no way same goes for Igorrrrrr
Riverside was OK in beginning
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4472 | This month: 6