Band: Body Void
Album: I Live Inside A Burning House
Release date: May 2018

01. Intro / A Burning House
02. Haunted
03. Trauma Creature
04. Phantom Limb
05. Given

For decades, men have spent their time in cellars and studios clanging their penises together to create the sound of sludge. As a whole, sludge is a genre that's created by men for men; they are the ones who make the rules of sludge and what good sludge sounds like. Body Void is a three-piece sludge/doom band where one of the members is a non-binary person and queer.

The debut, Ruins, which focused mainly on the topic of fatalism, was a good album. Body Void's second full-length, I Live Inside A Burning House, is an album about the human body and being inside of a non-binary body, which explains the poetic title. ILIABH is a heavy sludge album with a blend of doom that at times is so slow that it has a drony sound. The album also has some faster crusty parts and tempo shifts, but despite the tempo shifts, the album requires a patient listener. Overall this is a much bigger, more mammoth, longer, and better release than their debut.

Like their contemporaries Primitive Man, Body Void sounds anxious and depressive, but as the band names suggests, they have different perspectives. ILIABH is lyric-wise a depressive record about gender dysphoria. The character in the songs wants to get out of its body. The lyrics are poetical and delusional, balancing the edge of insanity; the androgynous vocals are screeching in anxiety. But despite the pain, the drony sludge and doom on this album are a beautiful affair. It is an album where the body is relevant for making music.

Doom is a genre full of pain, but even for seasoned doom lovers this could be a painful album as the topic is a bit more relevant than the usual first-world problems. I Live Inside A Burning House is a enjoyable album that is connected to abuse and discrimination. If there weren't any discrimination of non-binary persons in society there wouldn't be such beautiful pain on this album to enjoy. This isn't an album that tries to change the genre by not having a penis, but it comes with a slightly new perspective that's a phantom limb. It's a phantom limb lost in its own bodily darkness, which has started to burn like a house in an excellent way.

Written by LuciferOfGayness | 25.06.2018

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 32 users
27.06.2018 - 18:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Discrimination is not 1th world problem, its 3th world problem. we have no such thing here, its forbidden by law, (even how it works in pratic its another thing). Non of todays Europe doom bands, put on table lyrics as mid 90's because we society are grown and metal is postive isue in Scandinavian soceity, long hair, tattoos are acepted in mains tream. So we have achived, we have notning to rebel aganst (even NSBM has new topic to sing) but its not doom anyway what those scumbags think.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.07.2018 - 16:05
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Oh man, I was gonna review this
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
11.07.2018 - 23:42
Desha
delicious dish
This is the kind of record I really need some more listens of, preferrably with lyrics on screen. Let's see when I have the time.

Written by Bad English on 27.06.2018 at 18:26

Discrimination is not 1th world problem, its 3th world problem. we have no such thing here, its forbidden by law, (even how it works in pratic its another thing).

It's the practical application that matters though. And laws don't cover everything.
Especially in today's political climate, being visibly non-binary or even just mentioning a different gender or sexual identity will get you not only people questioning your entire existence, but also a lot of mean comments and more. Don't underestimate it, I know it's hard to understand if you don't experience it yourself.

I'm not trying to start a discussion here, it won't lead anywhere. But please, to anyone reading this: Be a bit more open when people talk about their suffering. Don't dismiss it outright, because you don't understand it or believe it. Try to understand it. Don't go "it's worse elsewhere", just listen and empathize. It's not only much more wholesome for yourself, but important for others as well.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
12.07.2018 - 00:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Desha on 11.07.2018 at 23:42

But please, to anyone reading this: Be a bit more open when people talk about their suffering. Don't dismiss it outright, because you don't understand it or believe it. Try to understand it. Don't go "it's worse elsewhere", just listen and empathize. It's not only much more wholesome for yourself, but important for others as well.

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.07.2018 - 15:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 09.07.2018 at 16:05

You could do it better, since you wont put weird things into it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.07.2018 - 17:29
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Bad English on 13.07.2018 at 15:43

Written by RaduP on 09.07.2018 at 16:05

You could do it better, since you wont put weird things into it

I can't say my opinion of it would be fundamentally different
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
17.07.2018 - 05:53
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Sounds like an entertaining and fun album. Will check
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.03.2019 - 16:11
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Quite confusingly, this is one of the most thoughtful and courageous reviews I've read so far.

I guess you really have to be in a 'perfect' mood to soak this up in its entirety, but thankfully, spring is approaching right now, the birds are singing, the sun is shining and everything seems to be fine. To sum it up: my house is not on fire.
But I will for sure give this album a second listen - one day, when the ugly crack in the perfect and shiny surface is about to grow again.
----
signatures = SPAM

Hits total: 2876 | This month: 7