Release date: July 2018

01. You Without End
02. Honeycomb
03. Canary Yellow
04. Near
05. Glint
06. Night People
07. Worthless Animal

The band purists love to hate for not being black metal enough and being way too blissful-sounding doubles down by being way more blissful.

What can be said about Deafheaven that hasn't been said before? Blackgaze titans loved by lots, hated by lots, with an undeniable impact on the metal scene. Sunbather and especially its cover art will forever be branded into metal culture. The album served as a gateway for many people into metal, similar to the likes of Linkin Park in the early 2000s. Despite being preceded by the likes of Alcest and Lantlôs, they are the face of blackgaze. While the genre itself entered its downward stage, Deafheaven will endure.

Last we heard from Deafheaven, they delivered their most straightforwardly black metal album yet, New Bermuda, although even the most straightforwardly black metal Deafheaven album is far from being conventional. Now that they've gotten that out of the way, it feels like they no longer feel the need to prove their credibility to anyone; instead, Ordinary Corrupt Human Love feels more passionate and genuine. In addition to that, they seek to move their sound forward a bit.

For starters, Ordinary Corrupt Human Love features more clean singing to go hand-in-hand with the more toned-down approach to a lot of songs, where the more melodic and dreamy shoegaze and post-rock sounds are in charge. The black metal moments still slightly outweigh them, but it's comforting to hear Clarke using more of the range of his voice than his usual shrieks. Accompanying him you'll hear more voices, from Nadia Kury on "You Without End" to Chelsea Wolfe on "Night People".

Just like on previous records, the impact of the music relies heavily on the juxtaposition between the blissful guitars and the shrieking vocals and the occasional blasts. Nowhere is this as prominent as the opening track, which starts feeling almost like a Queen song with the major piano and the Brian May-esque guitars, and then Clarke's screams come into play. And the album is full of Explosions In The Sky-esque tremolo picking, soaring crescendos, and riffs that feel either obviously black metal or straight out of a '70s hard rock song. The dynamic songwriting capabilities make having to sit through four different 10-minute-long epics feel organic and engaging. The shorter two songs see Deafheaven completely toning down their metal sound to completely flex in lighter territories without feeling like mere interludes.

Though I can't find any words to justify the cover art, the music beneath it finds Deafheaven at their most content with who they are. Hazy and blissful more than ever before, Ordinary Corrupt Human Love will not persuade any nay-sayers, but will further cement Deafheaven's place among the most significant artists of the decade. Enjoy eternal bliss.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 13.07.2018 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 323 users
13.07.2018 - 23:06
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
So it begins...oh and that Møl record kicks the shit out of this.
----
rekt
14.07.2018 - 00:33
Rating: 10
Vermoorden

"Though I can't find any words to justify the cover art, the music beneath it finds Deafheaven at their
most content with who they are."

Yeah that album art is just awful. The music is easily the best they've produced so far. Album of the year for me.
14.07.2018 - 03:24
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
You're the last person I would've expected to score a Deafheaven album a 9 in review. Guess that means I might have to actually start taking these guys seriously.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.07.2018 - 05:10
Rating: 8
Lord Slothrop

I'm still getting into it, but first impressions are pretty damned good. But yeah, that cover art... what the fuck?
14.07.2018 - 15:50
bleak
Account deleted
Agree. Great album! Definetely a grower, but that first two songs are amazing!
14.07.2018 - 18:24
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Looking forward to listen to this after reading the review, well written!
14.07.2018 - 20:04
RolandsSh

On my first listen I enjoyed the album, though it didn't blow me away. The NPR stream they released earlier is quite low quality, which might be one of the reasons, I will give it another try later on a proper release. As much as it pains me to admit that, the worst thing about this album is Night People. I'm a massive fan of Chelsea Wolfe and on paper Deafheaven collaborating with her sounds like a match made in heaven. Problem is, that song does not have a place on the album, it sticks out like a sore thumb and kinda ruins the overall flow to me. I don't know, maybe I'd enjoy the song if it were released separately (or if it were a bonus track), maybe this is another case of having too high expectations.
16.07.2018 - 21:25
Fellow Duh Say

I was turned off a bit at first but reviews pulled me back in. It is a great metal-influenced rock album. I am starting to think they might be the next-in-line of the genealogy of hard rock/metal influenced art-rock bands that crossed over into the mainstream. I see this line being Pink Floyd, Tool, Deafheaven (obviously the cross-over into mainstream is different in the internet age, the money and fame is different, aren't really any rock stars anymore). Deafheaven is the new Tool?
16.07.2018 - 22:27
DRobichaud

Jesus Christ.
----
Now is blessed, the rest remembered.
16.07.2018 - 22:30
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by DRobichaud on 16.07.2018 at 22:27

Jesus Christ.

I looovee youu jesus chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist
jesus chriiist i loveee youu yes i doooooo
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
18.07.2018 - 04:35
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by RaduP on 16.07.2018 at 22:30

Written by DRobichaud on 16.07.2018 at 22:27

Jesus Christ.

I looovee youu jesus chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist
jesus chriiist i loveee youu yes i doooooo

Aeroplane Over The Sea or Ordinary Corrupt Human Love?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.07.2018 - 08:12
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.07.2018 at 04:35

Aeroplane Over The Sea or Ordinary Corrupt Human Love?

Whats the difference
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 6573 | This month: 11