Metal Storm logo
Sigh - New Album Detailed, Streaming New Track Feat. Phil Anselmo

Japanese avantgarde black metallers Sigh have officially detailed their upcoming album, Heir To Despair. Their eleventh full-length will be out on Candlelight Records on November 16th. You can already hear a new track featuring none other than Mr. Philip H. Anselmo over here.

Candlelight Records wrote lengthily on their Facebook page: "While the previous album Graveward (2015) was rather symphonic and orchestral, Heir To Despair is pointing in the completely opposite direction. Heir To Despair is a heavy, psychedelic, and exotic album filled with vintage keyboards and flute. It is heavily inspired by progressive bands like Brainticket, Embryo, Agitation Free, Between, Gentle Giant, Os Mutantes, Modulo 1000, and Black Widow."

"With this album, the band depicts the world through the eyes of madness. Yes, the album is about insanity. Music throughout is varied as a mad man's thoughts. It starts with the psychedelic and exotic 'Aletheia' yet the following track 'Homo Homini Lupus' is a rather straightforwardly thrashy song with the typical Sigh twist. 'In Memories Delusional' is a brutal tune with heavy Asian touches, while 'Heresy Trilogy' is a representation of pure madness. The album ends with the title track ? a 10-minute long, progressive, and epic song.

"Heir To Despair can be viewed as Sigh's first attempt to intentionally take in a Japanese/Asian musical feel. Kawashima used some Japanese traditional singing techniques and Kevin Kmetz, formerly of Estradasphere and master of the traditional Japanese instrument, the shamisen, is featured on several tracks. Moreover, 90 percent of the lyrics are in Japanese, which has never happened on previous Sigh albums."

Guitarist, vocalist, songwriter, and main man behind Sigh, Mirai Kawashima also commented lengthily: "'Homo Homini Lupus' is one of the fastest and the simplest tracks on Heir To Despair. Don't expect other songs to sound like this. 'Homo Homini Lupus' means 'Man is wolf to man' in Latin. Thomas Hobbes referred to this verb to describe how men would act in the state of nature before we were civilized. The world shown in The Walking Dead series should be the best example of what we truly are. Men become wolves, or should I say, men are wolves in their real nature. Look what our ancestors did during the wartime! Look what our ancestors did during famine! We have own wolves inside."

Kawashima, who met Anselmo 20 years ago when they were both in U.S. death metal band Necrophagia, added, "It is a great honor for us to finally have him on our album! He added a great atmosphere to the song with his very deep voices! It should be very easy for you to tell which parts were sung by Phil."

Kawashima adds, "I just suggested to Eliran that the album is about insanity and gave him some Japanese psychotropic drug advertisement from the '60s and '70s, which I love, to show him what kind of artwork I wanted. The result was perfect. The woman on the artwork looks ostensibly happy but the plant she's watering is withering, and her room looks like a mess. This is what true insanity is about. This is what true horror is about. These days people are trying to pretend to be as happy as possible on SNS, but what kind of darkness do they have in their mind? You cannot draw the line between sanity and insanity anymore."

Artwork by Eliran Kantor and tracklisting can be found below:

01. Aletheia
02. Homo Homini Lupus [feat. Phil Anselmo]
03. Hunters Not Horned
04. In Memories Delusional
05. Heresy I: Oblivium
06. Heresy II: Acosmism
07. Heresy III: Sub Species Aeternitatis
08. Hands Of The String Puller
09. Heir To Despair

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Sigh
Posted: 29.09.2018 by VIG

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   Visited by: 127 users
29.09.2018 - 15:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Love the artwork and Kawashima's thoughts regardijng the subject matter are interesting and have been well translated. Can not wait!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.09.2018 - 15:12
VIG
Account deleted
I am so fucking excited for this one. A new Sigh in 2018 that has an Asian musical feel, plus a thrashy track with Phil fucking Anselmo out? With awesome artwork by Eliran Kantor?
29.09.2018 - 16:37
Mercurial

Guess that track is no indication of what the album will be like then, but it's pretty fun as it is.
30.09.2018 - 12:49
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Why do people even like Phil Anselmo?
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

30.09.2018 - 13:51
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Alakazam on 30.09.2018 at 12:49

If you wanna know you should read the comment on the Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals release on this RYM list which I 100% agree with (just do a Ctrl + F on that page and search for the band name).
30.09.2018 - 15:10
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Guest on 30.09.2018 at 13:51

Written by Alakazam on 30.09.2018 at 12:49

If you wanna know you should read the comment on the Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals release on this RYM list which I 100% agree with (just do a Ctrl + F on that page and search for the band name).

Hmm...
The 'He's outspoken, he's superficially arrogant, he's oftentimes tactless, he's prone to substance induced outbursts of highly contentious natures - he's a fucking metal front man not a social justice saint.' line struck me out the most because I finished reading Peter Steeles biography and recently saw Type O's After Dark featuring the tour Phil helped Type O gain acclaim at there peak all speak a similar behaviour from Peter to Phil. Most of Pete's interviews were made were partially superficial on the spot and were intentionally contradictory.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

01.10.2018 - 09:08
Nicko's Nose

From Sigh's Twitter:

""Homo Homini Lupus" does not represent "Heir to Despair" in any way. If you like the song, you will be 100% disappointed. I guarantee it."

dafuq lol?
01.10.2018 - 15:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Mirai keeps saying everybody will hate this album for some reason
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.10.2018 - 17:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Karlabos on 01.10.2018 at 15:34

Mirai keeps saying everybody will hate this album for some reason

He had done that stuff for a while. He is known for trolling. He even created a poll for worst album just for the lulz. In their fb page it's common behavior by the fans to write "this song/album sucks".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.10.2018 - 19:05
VIG
Account deleted
But what he's really trying to say is that that song streaming is kind of different and more straight-forward and thrashy than the rest of the album, which will have a lot of asian musical elements and weird shit like that.
04.10.2018 - 15:04
tiny dog ghosts

I like this song more than anything since Imaginary Sonicscape so maybe I'm in the minority who won't hate this album
12.10.2018 - 19:53
VIG
Account deleted
New video for "Homo Homini Lupus" here.

Hits total: 3382 | This month: 7