06. Tiara's Song (Farewell Part 1)
07. Goodnight (Farewell Part 2)
08. Beyond Today (Farewell Part 3)
09. The Truth
10. By The Light Of The Funeral Pyres
11. Damnation Below
12. Procession
13. Exhale

In 2008, Seventh Wonder released Mercy Falls, a near-perfect concept album seemingly written and performed by demigods, including the coolest prog singer the world had discovered since Roy Khan in Conception. Just like Roy Khan before him, Tommy Karevik eventually joined Kamelot, and life happened to the other members, so the break between their Mercy Falls follow-up The Great Escape and Tiara was eight years long. That's a long time to spend waiting for an album - you can ask me, I got into the band in 2009.

Seventh Wonder's style is fairly maximalist prog metal. When other bands write melodies like theirs, entire suites are built around them; in Seventh Wonder songs they get replaced very quickly in an endless succession of wondrous twists, which eventually form a song, and then each of the songs aligns perfectly into the puzzle of a full album. This absolute musical narrative mastery is their biggest strength - and several years later, it gets a point knocked off Tiara's score in my head, because when your very style is about doing The Most, you will inevitably end up repeating yourself.

Don't get me wrong: we're not grading on a curve here. Great music is great music. But until the "Farewell"-suite, at times I had the feeling that I was listening to a patchwork of previous Seventh Wonder songs. During the suite, we reach a very human part of the story, so the boys dip into their dreamy ballad style. Whenever they tackle the topic of family and the feelings of parents and children, they write in a very sincere (some would say corny) and sweet (some would say sugary) style, and I loved everything they depicted in this manner, from the death lament in "One Last Goodbye" to the very mundane yet complex feeling of locking yourself out of a house you dislike spending time in anyway (yes, really) in "Long Way Home". On Tiara, it's an apocalyptic event, and they cook us low and slow until the all-out assault of "By The Light Of The Funeral Pyres". The album ends on the very high note of "Exhale", which might be Tommy's most impressive performance.

It appears that the story of Tiara unfolds (I guess!) some time after the ship/habitat of Aniara in The Great Escape's titular epic track leaves Earth - the human race is faced with the final reckoning, and those who will judge us aren't impressed by the score of our accomplishments. One girl, Tiara, is chosen to convince them we are worthy of continued existence. That's about everything I can gather - the promo copy came without a lyric sheet and the vocals are a little low in the mix.

Which brings me to my next point. I tend to never mention how I like the sound because you never know whether that's just how the promo stream sounds, but the vocals and the bass just aren't where I like them to be in Seventh Wonder. The bass in particular is a disappointment for me, because Andreas Blomqvist is very important in the band's sound and I was really looking forward to hearing more of his tricks. The drums are a painful spot for modern metal production, but I thought Stefan Norgren's studio debut for the band sounded great.

Overall, Tiara is a triumph despite a few of my issues with it. Moreover, it's an album I am incredibly happy to have and spend time with. Fingers crossed we'll get another one before 2026.

Written on 11.10.2018 by A part of the team since December 2011. 7.0 means the album is good.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 291 users
11.10.2018 - 20:50
Rating: 9
ohmayhem

Wonderful review. It's been hell waiting for this album!
12.10.2018 - 12:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Welcome back * I haven't listened to this album yet but it's on my to do list.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.10.2018 - 09:45
On my first listen I was on a bad mix and it sounded very poorly with everything not blending well.. this was pretty odd considering everything else sounds great in my car.. I was really disappointed. I came home and played it on my studio speakers and it sounded amazing. If it sounds muddy try listening somewhere else; I got to listen to it now a second time and it was an absolutely awesome experience.
13.10.2018 - 16:54
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by AbelHamptonHelamanGo on 13.10.2018 at 09:45

played it on my studio speakers and it sounded amazing. If it sounds muddy try listening somewhere else; I got to listen to it now a second time and it was an absolutely awesome experience.

Hope it sounds good on my sound bar...
----
rekt
20.10.2018 - 23:15
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
It's fine for a band to have their own sound....it's a whole other matter when they literally rip off their own material over and over again.
21.10.2018 - 21:16
Rating: 8
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 20.10.2018 at 23:15

It's fine for a band to have their own sound....it's a whole other matter when they literally rip off their own material over and over again.

I feel like there's a thin line between ripping off and perfecting? If you listen to Waiting In The Wings, for example, you can definitely hear the skeleton of Mercy Falls, but it's just not quite there yet. This album definitely walks the line during the first few songs at times, but the flow of the album is unique to their discography and on my current replay I don't even pay attention to the similar transitions between sections and such.

They have this "handicap" because they just cram five songs' worth of cool stuff in one song, so it's practically impossible not to repeat things. I do think next time they should try more sparse and focused songwriting, in vein of Alley Cat and Inner Enemy. Those are unique songs in their discography so if they do that, they won't have this problem.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 11178 | This month: 17