Metal Storm logo
Matt Barlow

17.05.2007 - 16:42
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I had to do it guys, the matt barlow thread is here... Im watching the Alive in Athens DVD. I might have to have a look at his future albums with pyramaze. But lest we forget the Iced Earth years with Matt Barlow as the frontman... A goldrern era for metal music. He has incredible vocal range and control, and the emotion that flows through him into his voice is amazing and IMO that is what makes him so listenable, and so unique in his own ways. He is also extremely versatile ranging from full blow death growls to old thrash style to David Bowie and Bruce Dickinson.
So feel free to Hail Matt Barlow... or criticise if you must... Discuss the man himself whether you love this awesome singer, or you are reserved about his style.
17.05.2007 - 17:57
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
All I have to say about Matt Barlow, is that he Pwns. I don't know if I like him or ripper better, but one thing's for sure, he was Awsome.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
18.05.2007 - 17:03
Eternal Flames
Indeed he is an awesome vocalist. I'm not quite sure how suitable he is as a vocalist in Pyramaze but I'm quite excited to hear Pyramaze's new stuff with Barlow. He's certainly got a great range and of course, it will be something different for the band, but I don't think it will be too bad. He was great with Iced Earth, and I am just glad that he is back in the metal scene regardless whether he had decided to continue with Iced Earth or not.

As for the Alive In Athens CD/DVD, amazing work from Barlow (and the whole band in general). His voice is just amazing.
19.05.2007 - 10:45
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Ahh, there just is no comparison! Matt is one of my top favourite voices in metal. His voice displays so much range, from the shrill screams to the low, daunting notes to the rather sexy, meaty middle range Matt connects to his text more than almost any other singer I know and I'm so glad he's back to do some more!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.05.2007 - 15:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
he's an awesome vocalist, that's for sure, the only thing missing about him is the "crystal clear shriek" halford used to do in the 70s(just listen to the ending for "exciter" on unleashed in the east). if he did that, he could well be one of the best vocalists of all time in metal.
21.05.2007 - 16:50
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
@cursed, im going to draw a comparison to ripper (as im sure they will be compered for years to come), the "crystel clear shriek" is perhap the only area i would say ripper beat Mat. But my problem wih ripper and my continued problem is that he dosn't conect with Jon Schaffer in the Music at least not on Glorious Burden. Mat and Jon had a bond where they understood eachother.

Im interested in adding to the comparison table Hansi Kursch. How would you compare Mat and Hansi? I consider them similar in that Hansi relys on similar ways as Mat to connect with the music. Using thelower notes in softer songs to add a more emotional deep feel to the music. As well as moment of high pitched shrieks to add to the power of a song. While having multiple comfort zones while singing. So compare Mat Barlow now to Hansi Kursch?
21.05.2007 - 22:00
Fearless
And He is back! Matt is now the lead singer in the danish/american band Pyramaze and the are working on a new album witch will be out for sale next year!!!
http://www.pyramaze.com/index1.php
----
CEO and founder of Rose Booking.
SHOWS | TOURS | FESTIVALS

Rose Booking is a booking agency with a global involvement within the live entertainment

Metal is the LAW!
Stay Metal!
05.07.2007 - 20:24
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Barlow is fuckin' amazing. He looks plain weird with his short hair. We'll see how he does in Pyramaze, being so different from Iced Earth.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.07.2007 - 22:44
OneWithMisery
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 05.07.2007 at 20:24

Barlow is fuckin' amazing. He looks plain weird with his short hair. We'll see how he does in Pyramaze, being so different from Iced Earth.

Well you can listen to him with closed eyes just joking..yeah it's kind of strange seing him with short hair, but he still has that amaaaazing voice, and I mean, that's what's important, right?
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
06.07.2007 - 01:13
Ernis
狼獾
Written by OneWithMisery on 05.07.2007 at 22:44

Well you can listen to him with closed eyes just joking..yeah it's kind of strange seing him with short hair, but he still has that amaaaazing voice, and I mean, that's what's important, right?

You don't have to....unless you watch videos ЖD
It's similar to Vintersorg...he's got an emo hairdo...it's especially harsh looking if he's wearing a striped pullover, jeans and sneakers....well...but all in all, it's the voice that matters....
06.07.2007 - 01:19
OneWithMisery
Written by Ernis on 06.07.2007 at 01:13

You don't have to....unless you watch videos ЖD
It's similar to Vintersorg...he's got an emo hairdo...it's especially harsh looking if he's wearing a striped pullover, jeans and sneakers....well...but all in all, it's the voice that matters....

Ah yeah, I have blond moments The voice and the music counts the most, defenetlly. And Matt has an amazing voice with or without his hair.
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
08.07.2007 - 18:43
Remus
Matt Barlow is one damn good singer. He expresses so much emotion in songs like "Dracula" yet he can be agressive as well in songs such as "The Coming Curse". I thought he quit Iced Earth to sing in that "drug awareness" thing, not to join some danish band no-one has ever heard of (mind you, the danish make damn good feta cheese)! K, let me rephrase, I've never heard of Pyramaze untill now.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
08.07.2007 - 23:21
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat

Of course, the voice it's what matters the most, but still I miss his loooooooong hair. Although according to my mom he looks better in his short hair.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

08.07.2007 - 23:29
OneWithMisery
Quote:
Of course, the voice it's what matters the most, but still I miss his loooooooong hair. Although according to my mom he looks better in his short hair.

Oh what do moms know Kidding.. I guess my mom has different taste in men, since she never liked him But she has admited that he has an amazing voice though..
----
12.07.2007 - 04:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Quote:
Written by OneWithMisery on 08.07.2007 at 23:29

Oh what do moms know Kidding.. I guess my mom has different taste in men, since she never liked him But she has admited that he has an amazing voice though..

I would dare to say that mom does know. I mean, I look dad and he's not a ugly guy, and neither is Kahn from Kamelot, she likes him too Anyway she agrees with your mom Matt has a great voice
----

12.07.2007 - 16:56
Swanton Junkie
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.05.2007 at 16:50

So compare Mat Barlow now to Hansi Kursch?

Damn Good Comparison Never thought of that Before! And Early Blind Guardian Would Definitley be on Par With Barlow Era Iced Earth, The Only Difference if Hansi is Better at Using that Stereotypical Higher Pitched Power Metal Style Singin (Demons an Wizards) Where as Matt Doesnt venture that High as Much... but then Agen I Like the Differnt Style Matts Voice, in a Slightly, Bland Genre. Dont get me Wrong im a Power Metaller but Sometimes all the Bloody Singin Sounds the Same an The Shitty Power Metal (ie Dragonforce) let us Down!

An I No its Bin Sed A Million Times but Dont Think the Ripper is a Good as Matt, I Mean I Discovered my fave song of the Glorious Burden Had alot of Matts Backin lol, Just Cant see Tim Doin a 'Days of Purgatory' style Album an Pull it off as well as Matt did back in the Day... Even if he is a Pig hahahahaha!
14.07.2007 - 22:39
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
He has such a powerful voice, and for me will always be the voice of Iced Earth. I don't know what else to say other than that BURNT OFFERINGS FUCKING OWNS!!!
23.08.2007 - 01:23
Infurnace
Yeah, he simply is/was the best vocalist Iced Earth has had. Just listen to "Something Wicked This Way Comes". It's such a great album!
23.08.2007 - 09:06
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I cant wait to hear him with Pyramaze, who could really use a vocalist like him, they really have talent but haven't released nothing too special
25.08.2007 - 23:39
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Tim Owens is probably technically better than Matt Barlow........But Barlow just suited Iced Earth so much better! It was such a great marriage .
26.08.2007 - 21:31
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Guest on 25.08.2007 at 23:39

Tim Owens is probably technically better than Matt Barlow........But Barlow just suited Iced Earth so much better! It was such a great marriage .

well, that could be true.... But still he rocks!
If only shaffer brought back any of the former vocalist.... that would be awesome... I dont have anything against Ripper, but why him??? I just cannot listen to Iced Earth anymore. Ripper doesnt fit their music at all.
----
31.08.2007 - 18:09
Ereinion'
Account deleted
I think Matt Barlow is the guy who taught God how to sing
10.09.2007 - 18:48
nehrodwarf
I listen him no much times, but that I listened I though great!!!!
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
27.11.2007 - 18:15
Finicella
Account deleted
One of the best Metal vocalists ever... I really admire him.
25.04.2008 - 09:19
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Damn a matt barlow's Topic and i didn't notice!

To start talking about Barlow, i must say that the guy blow my ears when i listened Iced Earth's Melancholy, oh that song just got me into his voice. Schaffer is a great composer, but without Barlow at the right disc and the right tunes Iced Earth could never been what is today. Since Burnt Offerings that is an extreme Agressive disc with one of the best songs of the band 'till Horror Show that accomplish the Iced Earth's Place in Metal Olimpus, there's an element that create that: Matt Barlow's Voice.

And i just remembered when i read the metalstorm news talking about barlow's new band in the police, and after that when he was recruited by Pyramaze, since then i just been waiting that, but he come back to iced earth, so i think the wait will be LONG.

Hail Barlow, also he was one of my influences to sing!
29.04.2008 - 04:46
Haightredy
Dude, I feel bad for Tim "Ripper" Owens. First getting compared to Rob Halford, then trying to beat Matt Barlow... he needs to start his own band.

Matt Barlow is a freakin' amasing singer, the only thing I don't like is how he got rid of all his hair. Compared to the way he looked in Alive In Athens, he's pretty much bald.
29.04.2008 - 22:04
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Haightredy on 29.04.2008 at 04:46

Dude, I feel bad for Tim "Ripper" Owens. First getting compared to Rob Halford, then trying to beat Matt Barlow... he needs to start his own band.

Matt Barlow is a freakin' amasing singer, the only thing I don't like is how he got rid of all his hair. Compared to the way he looked in Alive In Athens, he's pretty much bald.

Well Tim Owens does have his own band. And in my opinion Tim Owens, today, is a better singer than Rob Halford and more enjoyable than Barlow. In my opinion the latest Beyond Fear is much better than anything I have heard from Iced Earth, save maybe to first two albums.
----
The force will be with you, always.
29.04.2008 - 23:14
Haightredy
Written by Clintagräm on 29.04.2008 at 22:04

Written by Haightredy on 29.04.2008 at 04:46

Well Tim Owens does have his own band. And in my opinion Tim Owens, today, is a better singer than Rob Halford and more enjoyable than Barlow. In my opinion the latest Beyond Fear is much better than anything I have heard from Iced Earth, save maybe to first two albums.

I haven't heard of Beyond Fear. I'll check them out. And I must apologise for my lack of knowlege. I'll probably agree that Owens is better than Halford, and probably better than Barlow too, but I just think that he really doesn't fit as well in either band.
01.05.2008 - 08:14
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Actually If Owens And Barlow could be comparated in vocals techniques, Tim will win, but the Iced Earth Career has been what is today because Barlow's voice. The Glorius Burden was amazing and the something wicked part 1 release, but those works couldn't fit in matt's voice, those were for owens.
13.05.2008 - 06:38
IconMaiden
ok, barlow is infinitely greater than the ripper, though tim owens is outstanding as well. the reason for this is, in Iced Earth's more mellow songs, the ripper sounds like he has something stuck in his throat. always. he's a great shrieker, but the problem is: thats all he does. he can't "turn it off". this limits him. so even if he has decent range, he can never have the power that matt has in his voice. and when it comes to instilling emotion into the music, no one, and i'm including dickinson, halford, allen, etc in this, can beat matt barlow. my favorite metal singer, and irreplaceable in iced earth. iced earth=schaffer + barlow + drummer/bassist/leadguitar. simple equation.