03. Satan In The Wait
04. The Flammable Man
05. The Lords Song
06. Less Sex
07. Daughter
08. The Reason They Hate Me
09. Ocean Song
10. Guest House

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Ok, since I had to fail No-Nut November to relisten to this album for this review, I might as well take y'all with me.

Regardless of what you expect from this album, You Won't Get What You Want. Daughters were always lingering in waters just outside the metal spectrum, mostly in mathcore and noise rock and no wave, which, depending on who you ask, are or are not metal. While I had my doubts that this band is in any way metal, mostly because in my head I mistook them for the shoegaze band of the same name, a listen to their chaotic and arguably grindcore debut clears all those doubts away. They became a bit more tamed in the following albums, but I'm using "tamed" here loosely. The biggest change was in Marshall's vocals from vitriolic screams to what somebody wiser than me called "Elvis Presley being tortured". After their last and self-titled record came out in 2010, they broke up and were already considered quite a landmark band. But I don't think anybody expected such a grandiose comeback.

You Won't Get What You Want isn't an extremely dynamic record in its songwriting, because it doesn't need to be. Much of the album is quite repetitive and oriented around one central groove that gives it quite a hypnotic quality. The industrial and no wave-ish minimalist pounding drums coupled with the barrage of oddball guitar and keyboard effects create a droning nauseous and unnerving feeling. At its highest, it's cold and depressing; at its lowest it's downright terrifying. You get more slow and sludgy songs like "Satan In The Wait", but also more straightforward neck-breakers like "The Reason They Hate Me", all of them drowned in a noisy feeling of danger. As somebody who took advantage of my laziness and published his review before mine said: "This is a very physical album". Instead of being centered around musicality and transitions and whatnot, You Won't Get What You Want is doing everything in its power to make you feel, and it doesn't feel good at all.

Clustered over the already disorienting instrumentals, Marshall's vocals jump between Nick Cave and Steve Albini and David Yow. Tortured at times, struggling not to break at others, desperate most of the time and strangely sexy in "Less Sex", Marshall's vocals build upon the mood-building pieces to make sure that it all connects to the listener, that he feels it. I could pinpoint a lot of stuff from Depeche Mode to Swans to Teenage Jesus & The Jerks that Daughters borrow some feels from on this record, but they manage so cohesively to make it theirs and reinvent themselves once again in a way that neither alienates fans nor strikes too close to what they've already done. It's nothing but completely engaging and intense in a way that albums much more extreme or chaotic don't manage to be. Despite the quite droning and industrially repetitive nature present in a lot of the songs, there's always an element of the unexpected lurking. I could go into detail about how each song manages to achieve its respective mood, but I feel like I'd be spoiling the album in a way.

The rating that I give this album doesn't have anything to do with me wearing a yellow flannel shirt while writing the review nor with somebody else who is more famous than me for doing the same thing. Don't tell me how to do my job. You Don't Get What You Want is just absolutely amazing. Let me in.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written on 04.11.2018 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 380 users
05.11.2018 - 03:02
VIG
Account deleted
One of my favorite reviews of yours I have read.
05.11.2018 - 14:35
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Ok Mr. Hyper Score Inflation, stop listening to Fantano (jk ily)

Well I guess with all the rave this one is getting plus the fact that they're on the Roadburn lineup, I should really get around to checking these guys out.... must admit though, my elitist hipster asshole tendencies lead me to have something of an aversion to checking it out because of said rave, for fear of it not being worth it.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.11.2018 - 15:39
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I saw noise rock and mathcore and immediately had little interest in the album, but given the score/review figured I'd check it out. Man, what a top notch album, super hypnotic. Have it on repeat right now.
05.11.2018 - 18:47
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.11.2018 at 14:35

for fear of it not being worth it.

Well I guess you *puts on sunglasses* won't get what you want
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.11.2018 - 19:56
VIG
Account deleted
Written by RaduP on 05.11.2018 at 18:47

This comment is just as good as the album.
05.11.2018 - 20:01
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Guest on 05.11.2018 at 19:56

Written by RaduP on 05.11.2018 at 18:47

This comment is just as good as the album.

I can just stop reviewing because I've reached my apex on this website
----
05.11.2018 - 21:36
Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10
Singing Skills: this achievement is blocked
05.11.2018 - 22:53
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
The thing with this album is that putting labels on it really takes away from what it really is, just calling it noise rock or industrial rock or whatever makes people unconsciously jam it with other albums from said genres and that cannot be further from how different this album truly is. From now on I will only refer to how this album feels like and not the specifics of the music itself. If I have to ever reference anything from the music that I know it would be Mayhem's Ordo Ad Chao or Esoteric's The Pernicious Enigma just for how unnerving and unsettling the music is.
I love your approach to reviewing this monster.

EDIT: Yes, I have a full blown hard on for this album.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
05.11.2018 - 23:09
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by InnerSelf on 05.11.2018 at 22:53

Yes, I have a full blown hard on for this album.

Huh, so you failed it too
----
05.11.2018 - 23:36
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by RaduP on 05.11.2018 at 23:09

Written by InnerSelf on 05.11.2018 at 22:53

Yes, I have a full blown hard on for this album.

Huh, so you failed it too

----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
06.11.2018 - 03:48
Rating: 9
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Album rips
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
06.11.2018 - 06:17
Rating: 9
Nicko's Nose

Love this album so much.
06.11.2018 - 12:27
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Just felt like saying I like yellow flannel shirts. My preference is red flannel shirts. Thank you

(will probably check this one out).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.11.2018 - 21:33
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by BloodTears on 06.11.2018 at 12:27

Just felt like saying I like yellow flannel shirts. My preference is red flannel shirts. Thank you

I'm gonna get one of those too, but it's not as iconic. But will probably work well with a beard... when that happens... someday...
----
10.11.2018 - 00:50
VIG
Account deleted
Written by RaduP on 07.11.2018 at 21:33

But will probably work well with a beard... when that happens... someday...

It's also no shave November..
10.11.2018 - 02:32
kingeryck

Jesus Christ can people shut up about NNN already?! It's not even funny.

Hits total: 8976 | This month: 12