Metal Storm logo
Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2019

20.11.2018 - 06:28
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This thread is exclusively for non-metal album recommendations / discussions from 2019.

New Surachai record sounds really Industrial heavy and noise laden.

21.11.2018 - 16:33
Mercurial

I wish Surachai would just go back to making great black metal.
23.11.2018 - 11:35
Mercurial

New Moon Wiring Club next year, for weird, experimental and psychedelic electronic music <3

23.01.2019 - 21:23
3rdWorld
China was a neat
One of the my favorite labels active at the moment. Really cool album title here. More mellow, relaxing and optimistic than most of their well known stuff though.

Mount Shrine

19.03.2019 - 00:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Damn, the OST for this game is groovy:

hempuli - Baba is You OST
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
20.03.2019 - 20:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The Caretaker's new surprise release.

21.03.2019 - 21:23
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Post more here, I need stuff for the non-metal article series.

Speaking of which, thoughts on it?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
24.03.2019 - 23:39
IronAngel

Written by RaduP on 21.03.2019 at 21:23

Post more here, I need stuff for the non-metal article series.

It's been a quiet year so far. I haven't found many full-lengths yet, but I'm looking forward to new albums probably from Carly Rae Jepsen, Torres, Charly Bliss etc. Some of the good stuff so far includes:
Solange - When I Get Home (neo-soul/R&B)
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow (indie singer-songwriter)
Benoît Pioulard & Sean Curtis Patrick - Avocationals (ambient)
Simon Scott - Soundings (ambient)
Julia Kent - Temporal (post-minimalist cello stuff)

Well, that's pretty much all of the good stuff. >_> I didn't get around to American Football or La Dispute yet, since I haven't been in the mood for emo, but I guess they might be good.
25.03.2019 - 02:32
Darkside Momo
Retired
Front Line Assembly's latest is decent but not exceptionnal, best song is easily "Wake Up The Coma" with Nick Holmes.

Front Line Assembly - Wake Up The Coma

The new The Young Gods, however, is pretty nice

The Young Gods - Data Mirage Tangram

Both were realased in February (and both are invisible in the database, for those interested)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
27.03.2019 - 11:10
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Have never really been a huge fan of them, but hey, it's Bad Religion!
New album 'Age of Unreason' is due May 3rd.

----
signatures = SPAM
02.04.2019 - 16:17
Darkside Momo
Retired
Three months gone and Moodie Black are on a roll, having already released two EPs. They've bit expending thir sound quite a bit, while still being true to their bleak noise rap.
Highly recommended!

M B I I I

MB III.V MICHOA
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.04.2019 - 03:52
Czerny Reiter

Dreampop/New Wave admixture. First track sounds pretty much like a californian 80's summer night.

Converge's crew get up to something off their beaten track. Slow, stripped down and emotional, interspersed with some driving moments.

14.04.2019 - 07:46
Maco
Pvt Funderground
New song by Fungus Exodus, a drone/ambient project from the Dirtmaster, who also played in Wormphlegm.

----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
17.04.2019 - 11:10
Mercurial

That mushroom looks like Dwayne Dibley.

19.04.2019 - 11:58
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Czerny Reiter on 13.04.2019 at 03:52

Converge's crew get up to something off their beaten track. Slow, stripped down and emotional, interspersed with some driving moments.

[/center]

That's from 2017
----
17.05.2019 - 21:57
IronAngel

Carly Rae Jepsen's fourth album dropped today. Not disappointed at all. Queen of releasing pop albums of the year:
09.06.2019 - 04:41
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Not sure about goty but definitely the best game OST of this year so far.

Btw it's composed by the retrowave band GosT
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.06.2019 - 09:44
JoHn Doe

Synthwave/synth-pop
Donner, a side-project from White Willow's Jacob-Holm Lupo.
https://donner.bandcamp.com/releases
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.09.2019 - 20:28
Vombatus
Potorro
Been listening quite a bit of dungeon-synth lately. This one is extremely good. And it has dinosaurs (dinosynth?)

06.09.2019 - 16:38
mz

Great abstract/ experimental industrial music with drone and noise accent. I've been craving for something this ever since amazing The Space Between You & the World from 2017.

9T Antiope - Nocebo
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
07.10.2019 - 19:14
Czerny Reiter

Dylan Neal, the mind behind Botanist leaves the hammered dulcimer home to treat us to an electronic album of many faces. A mingling ominous dark ambient, moody trip-hop and drone textures makes for a listen that's hard to pin down.

10.12.2019 - 11:20
IronAngel

So best non-metal 2019?

I already posted Carly Rae Jepsen, but other than that, the Charly Bliss sophomore is a great evolution from their debut. They started off grungy and noisy, like Wheezer on helium, but they've embraced straight-up, synth-fuelled power pop.

100 gecs' debut, 1000 gecs, is the craziest shit I've heard in a while. A jumbled bag of bubblegum bass, emo, crunkcore, ska, anything. It sounds like an ironic meme project but it's not. And sure, it's a bit inconsistent, but I can't stop listening. You'll probably hate it!

Hannah Diamond, poster girl for PC Music, finally released her debut full-length. All gloss and surface, distilling the hyperpop aesthetic to its purest.

I think Litku Klemetti is the decade's greatest new artist on the Finnish scene. Dunno if it appeals outside the national context, with her musical references to Finnish golden oldies and psych pop/prog, but she's released solid 4 albums now in as many years and is only getting better.

I didn't listen to FKA twigs' earlier stuff, but her latest is the closest to what Kate Bush would sound like in 2019 (if she wasn't old and tired). I.e. really good.

And finally, Caroline Polachek (of Chairlift fame) released a really solid album of art pop tunes which blends 80s, 90s and 2010s influence. Also the coolest music video of the year, if you dig 90s/00s supernatural teen shows (who wouldn't).

Also some really nice ambient albums that I'm not going to link here, from Kali Malone, Félicia Atkinson and A Winged Victory for the Sullen, for example.
11.12.2019 - 18:08
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Caroline Polachek is my fucking jam, barely a day passes that I don't listen to "So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings"
----