09. The Eyes Of Medusa

Disc II
01. Smoke And Mirrors
02. Church Of The Machine
03. Through The Looking Glass
04. Of Sins And Shadows
05. Sea Of Lies
06. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

Here it is! The first live album of Symphony X, due to be one of the most exciting releases to date. Unfortunately, even if Michael Romeo and his friends play almost the entire set from "V", the overall results could have been better. Yes, they even play very epic songs taken from theirs previous albums. Yes, Russell Allen - the singer - is doing his best with the audience. Yes, the songs sound really good. Nevertheless, the sound of the CDs is not what it could have been and the audience is not very present.

Of course, I'm a difficult man but when you have the album "V" as references, you may be slightly disappointed by the production of thiis live album. Maybe I'm being too negative! After all, the music is good and the tracklist is really enjoyable: Symphony X even play 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy' [about 20 minutes of pure technique and beauty...] and some of their great standards such as 'Smoke and Mirrors' or 'Of Sins and Shadows'. Well, finally I must admit that Jason Rullo - the drummer - has a better sound on stage because he sounds more powerful. In fact, I think I don't consider "Live On The Edge Of Forever" as an excellent album due to the weak sound of the keyboards, which is a really important part of Symphony X style.

About the songs, you can refer to other reviews of Symphony X. As in conclusion, the studio albums sound better in my opinion. However, if you love this band, don't panic! "Live On The Edge Of Forever" is a great live album and on top of it the only live performance recorded of Symphony X up to date.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written on 22.09.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 9 users
25.12.2018 - 23:31
Rating: 9
BlankFile

Really great live show, a classic for sure. The crowd is full of energy and made this concert really special. Awsome performance by the band in general.

Hits total: 2556 | This month: 5