Metal Storm logo
Batushka - Future Unclear, Two Parties Claim That The Other Is Out Of The Band (Update)

Krzysztof "Derph" Drabikowski has posted the following video on YouTube, detailing his and Batushka's situation:

A transcript of the video reads as follows: "My name is Krzysztof "Derph" Drabikowski. Most of you know me by the moniker Христофоръ, the leader and creator of the musical project Batushka. I am recording this video because I have lost control over Batushka's website, Facebook page, webstore and as of Tuesday, even the Instagram account. This is the only way I can tell You what is happening and how my former vocalist is trying to take the band away from me. I created Batushka in the spring of 2015. I am the author of the music, lyrics, the name, the painting that you know from the album cover and the overall monk image idea. I have made the musical arrangements, wrote the melodies and recorded most of the instruments on the Litourgiya album in my private home studio. Before the finishing touches I invited Bartłomiej Krysiuk to do the vocals according to my guidelines, and Marcin Bielemiuk to re-record my drums parts on acoustic percussion. Batushka was meant to be an anonymous musical project, and from the beginning the idea was to keep the line-up unknown to the public so that the listeners could focus their attention on the musical experience itself. The album, released by Krysiuk's underground label, became a hit. The demand for live shows from all over the world was enormous. So, I decided to, with the help of my friends, bring Batushka's music on to the live stage. During the past two years I have written and recorded the material for the second Batushka album, and Krysiuk pressed me to release it as soon as possible. As I wasn't satisfied with the results yet, I postponed the release of the follower of Litourgiya which followed with Krysiuk declaring he is leaving the band. On the Friday of the 21st of December I learned that Krysiuk hired musicians to produce an album that he planned to release as the new Batushka record, behind my back! He also registered Batushka as his personal trademark. Before I managed to do anything, he cut off my access to all Batushka's media platforms, and tries to enforce some kind of censorship on all media interested in the band situation. In response I have taken legal action and have been advised by my lawyer to not say anything further. All the new pictures you see on the website and Facebook page are of Krysiuk and random people like his son pretending to be Batushka. Every upcoming festival claiming to have Batushka in their line-up has made a deal with Krysiuk and not me. I would like to kindly ask You to copy and share this message wherever you can. Let the truth be heard. As of now the only true Batushka will be that without Krysiuk behind the mic. Thank you for watching and thank you for your support."

Original news, published on 27.12.2018: It seems like we're going to have a really hard time picking drama for the Metal Storm Awards, as so much drama has been happening in the last month, from Cannibal Corpse to Arch Enemy to Chthonic, but now comes a more confusing one with Polish black metal outfit Batushka.

The following message was posted on the band's Instagram page before the page got deleted:

"An important announcement has to be made today. I have decided to part ways with Batushka's singer Варфоломей (
Bartłomiej Krysiuk) due to inappropriate behavior on his part. There were attempts to take my creation Batushka away from me, with the result that he will not continue to be a member of the music project and the upcoming album will not feature his voice. As songs may emerge that are not written by me but labeled as "Batushka", I hereby announce that my Instagram profile [since deleted], YouTube channel and mail are now the only means of contacting me. Please share this information on social media channels. Thank you for all the support and understanding.

Krzysztof "Христофор" Drabikowski
"

Meanwhile the band's Facebook page posted the following message:

"We would like to address the statement published on the (then) Batushka Instagram last Sunday:
Kris, our former guitarist, was told earlier this month that he would not participate in Batushka activities as we move into 2019. Kris was disappointed but understanding. We tried on multiple occasions to regain access to the Instagram page which was solely controlled by Kris. We had hoped that Kris would follow through with his promises to hand back control of Batushka's Instagram but clearly that was not the case. This prompted a claim to have any pages operated by Kris, shut down based on intellectual property and trademark ownership. Rest assured, everything will be reinstated soon! Batushka is moving ahead with plans to release new music and begin a new touring cycle in 2019! More news coming soon!
"

While the Instagram page and post have since been deleted, the Facebook post has seen quite some drama and supposedly comments are being deleted.

With the future of Batushka unclear, will this mean one party will gain ownership or will we have two Batushkas that will release a new album soon, as both parties have announced new music for 2019? Give us your thoughts.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Batushka
Posted: 31.12.2018 by RaduP

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 17   Visited by: 355 users
27.12.2018 - 13:48
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I didn't know Gaahl and Infernus were in Batsshka.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
27.12.2018 - 13:53
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
27.12.2018 - 16:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I never liked this band, I cant gt into it, somehow ortodox symbols and kyrlic piss me off most, but I like that they insult religion ... maybe I should listen it . well I know hating this band im MS is same as hating roadburn. Hate hammer will flow to my direction.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.12.2018 - 17:19
Unhealer
Eclecticist
By reading the facebook comments, it seems Batushka's singer claimed the rights and got them approved at the end of November. It really looks like a scam on his part. Well, it was good while it lasted, I hope Kris keeps releasing more music.
27.12.2018 - 17:24
matt4815162342

Written by Bad English on 27.12.2018 at 16:01

I never liked this band, I cant gt into it, somehow ortodox symbols and kyrlic piss me off most, but I like that they insult religion ... maybe I should listen it . well I know hating this band im MS is same as hating roadburn. Hate hammer will flow to my direction.

I like the music they play, although when listening to the whole album at once, it becomes a little bit repetitive. But I don't see any reason for me to start hating on you, just because their music didn't click with you. There's plenty of bands and genres out there, we should let people listen what they want and don't bitch about it.
When reading FB/IG posts related to this newest drama, it seems to me that the singer and/or the guitarist is a bit of an asshole. Not sure which one of them though, I'm sure that there is a lot of background drama, which probably will never be fully revealed to the audience. I just hope that this resolves somehow (and I don't mean by disbanding completely) and we'll see another release from this rather unorthodox (or should I say orthodox ) collective.
27.12.2018 - 19:31
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I'm on the guitarist side, there are lots of stories about the vocalist being an asshole who ripped off a lot of Batushka fans when they launched a pre-order campaign for the super ultra special edition of that mediocre album they made in 2015. Also lots of stories about the guy trying to take full power of the band when the actual founder and leader was the guitarist.

They also mention that the vocalist signed to Metal Blade without noticing the guitarist and that was the final straw.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
28.12.2018 - 13:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by matt4815162342 on 27.12.2018 at 17:24

Written by Bad English on 27.12.2018 at 16:01

I like the music they play, although when listening to the whole album at once, it becomes a little bit repetitive. But I don't see any reason for me to start hating on you, just because their music didn't click with you. There's plenty of bands and genres out there, we should let people listen what they want and don't bitch about it.
When reading FB/IG posts related to this newest drama, it seems to me that the singer and/or the guitarist is a bit of an asshole. Not sure which one of them though, I'm sure that there is a lot of background drama, which probably will never be fully revealed to the audience. I just hope that this resolves somehow (and I don't mean by disbanding completely) and we'll see another release from this rather unorthodox (or should I say orthodox ) collective.

I dont hate a band, but I dislike kyrlioc alphabet and orthodox symbols. I listened it a long ago, its how to say, to rawish to my ears and in some way I think band is more cult icon in east Europe and West if we split Europe politically. I usually dont like bands what other few members who likes to bitch about my bands so Its goes a bit that way
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.12.2018 - 17:59
Sigebrond

Whether or not people like Batushka is completely irrelevant, no one cares. Their influences are obvious, but they're a genuinely fresh and creative blend of black and doom metal elements, and though they're not the first band to experiment with religious chants, no one's used them to the degree they have, or as effectively. They're not a joke band, no one cares if you're too kvlt to listen to bands that make an effort with their stage costumes. If you don't like them, don't listen.

Regarding this issue, just look at the comments - bar one or two clueless idiots, pretty much all comments are backing the guitarist, it's obvious what's going on here. I made sure to copy and screenshot stuff in case more gets deleted, so I will share some here. As noted on the page, Bart did the same thing with the Witching Hour Productions page, he deleted comments that were chasing up orders. I wish I had caught one in particular before it was deleted, in which he was just being outright aggressive and rude to a customer making legitimate criticisms. This was all regarding orders not being sent out, releases being indefinitely delayed, and on top of that since then he's churned out about six different versions of the one album Batushka have done so far in the space of a year or so. Shamelessly cashing in and defrauding fans, which is probably how he's got rich enough to bribe the session musicians into hijacking a music project that doesn't belong to him (because he's also just a session musician).

Here are the bits I made sure I got from comments on the latest update (by Bart) on the Batushka facebook page:

"AFAIK the singer tried to continue Batushka behind Kris' back without his permission or involvement, and sign a nice fat deal with a big record label for which Kris decided to fire the singer. Source: owner of Arachnophobia records, a black metal record label from the Polish scene" - one fan citing a label as source regarding the reasons for Kris firing the singer

First interview with Batushka (Musick Magazine, 4/2015):
(a (presumably translated) part of a 2015 interview from a Polish magazine stating very clearly that Kris is the creator and songwriter, and that Bart is just the session vocalist and "publisher", i.e. he was relying him Bart to release Batushka on his own label.)

Христофор (Kris): From the very beginning I had an idea for graphic design. I prepared the cover art in analog way - board, canvas, skin glue, chalk, yolk & pigment, so I'm a consistent part of the project. I can't imagine it any other way. I didn't have to explain many things to the publisher (Bart), at once he understand what I meant.

Journalist: So do you control the project?

Христофор (Kris): Control isn't a good term, I associate it with the restriction of freedom. I'm rather a coordinator. I started this band, so I feel responsible for that.

- The original post by Kris on the Batsuhka instagram page, which was promptly deleted. The page is now active, with this image removed, so I can only assume the idiots at instagram gave control of it to Bart.
- Another fan illustrating very clearly what's going on here, and hopefully giving some reassurance that things are not over yet. (I am awful at embedding images so in case it gets deleted, confirming he's it's always been his project and that he has a lawyer and is going to take action). In case this is deleted, the guy was confirming on Kris' behalf that Bart made multiple attempts over the course of two years to take Batushka away from its original creator, first signing to Metal Blade records behind his back in late 2017 then made a copyright claim without permission in autumn 2018 (he currently owns the Batushka trademark as you can see here https://www.trademarkia.com/ctm/ctm-company-bart%C5%82omiej-krysiuk-952625-page-1-2), after which Kris fired him from the band. This has panned out exactly as Kris predicted it would, with Bart hijacking all the social media pages and claiming it for himself.

Hope these help people see the truth about what's going on, and help Kris in his fight for justice.
31.12.2018 - 13:24
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
You know a band is a sellout when they have this kind of drama
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
31.12.2018 - 17:19
Cobalto

Let the party begin

Batushka Of Fire
Krzysztof Derph´s Batushka
Krysiuk/Bielemiuk Batushka
31.12.2018 - 17:31
IBlackened

Written by Karlabos on 31.12.2018 at 13:24

You know a band is a sellout when they have this kind of drama

Right? These poseurs... Just stab the motherfucker, like in black metal good ol' days.

But seriously, if the guitarist is telling the truth, and believe him, the vocalist almost deserves it.
----
Their old stuff is better.
31.12.2018 - 17:33
IBlackened

Written by Cobalto on 31.12.2018 at 17:19

Let the party begin

Batushka Of Fire

Batushka A.D.
----
Their old stuff is better.
31.12.2018 - 17:36
Starvynth
i c deaf people

Let the party begin

Batushka Of Fire

The artist formerly known as Derph's Batushka Of Fire And Steel featuring random people and Krysiuk's son on flute and balalaika
----
signatures = SPAM
31.12.2018 - 18:50
nikarg

01.01.2019 - 10:53
Tasos M

Since Derph managed to make such a project which quickly captured the attention of Metalheads worldwide, and since I became a fan of this band as well, I wish he will find the way and continue with it. Totally on his side!
----
Support artists, buy their albums \m/
02.01.2019 - 14:08
infernalius

What a mess!

Well, let's see wich of the 2 "batushka's" albuns will be better. I really dont care who gets the name or whatever ... ill keep listening whoever makes better music, or both hopefully!
02.01.2019 - 20:12
FYA
Destroyer
Written by IBlackened on 31.12.2018 at 17:33

Let the party begin

Batushka Of Fire

Batushka A.D.

Batushka Inc.

Hits total: 14155 | This month: 27