08. Turn Turn Turn
09. The Last Man
10. The Garden Of Love
11. Kill Burn
12. Set The Table
13. Murder On Thames
14. Shoreditch
15. Necropolis: Egress

2019 is now upon us, but before we truly embark, let's talk about why 2018 was a significant year for neofolk, one other distant relative of metal.

There's Sol Invictus...

Of all the three big neofolk bands, Sol Invictus came last, but its main man, Tony Wakeford, has been part of the scene for much longer, being a member of Death In June until 1984, performing on a few of their albums. And just like early Death In June, early Sol Invictus was kind of a mish-mash of post-punk and dark folk, later leaving the former behind to fully embrace the latter. But while the latest Death In June album is special for being their most layered and lush and upbeat in a while, Sol Invictus's latest uses layering in the opposite sense to create an entirely dark mood with no sense of irony. And with it possibly being the band's final album, the mood only darkens. Also Agalloch's Don Anderson plays guitar here.

Rich with instruments and layering and an overwhelming sense of dread and regret, Necropolis uses layering as more of a throbbing pulse, like the female or choir vocals and the synths that go along with Wakeford's vocals that are all supplemented by violins or pianos or accordions; it creates a sense of urgency in said dread. The repetitiveness here feels more drone-ish and industrial while not being at all either of those, but using similar means to realize Wakeford's vision and concept of a decaying London "of mausoleums and masonry". With proper songs thrown between minute-short interlude-songs, the album never feels like it lingers too long on a single note and manages to build what it needs to build before changing again.

Wakeford's vocals are clearly matured here. Perhaps the slight imperfections that he used to have back in the '90s made his music much more personal and emotional ("Abattoir Of Love" comes to mind), but it is clear here that this is a person who has been at it for decades and it's oozing of confidence. None of that shallow rock star confidence, but that of a man who knows what he wants to say. The only downside is that ironically this makes me pay less attention to the lyrics and more to his performance. But while his voice is one of the most important aspects of the music, usually in neofolk the vocals take much more of a center point, whereas here it feels like the music does a bit more of the work.

Sol Invictus started a little later than their counterparts and have been a bit less prolific, but even if this is to be their last album, which it could be, they would end on quite a high note and leave behind a worthy discography. Necropolis gives us Sol Invictus as dark and gloomy as they come. An eulogy to both London and the band itself.

Thus, with the three biggest neofolk acts all releasing some of their strongest albums lately this year, it is quite clear that 2018 was quite significant for the genre. But perhaps you'd like to go back to Death In June.

Written on 04.01.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 39 users
04.01.2019 - 13:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Neo folk is not so far away, but this band is not connectet whit metal, as metal musisians side projects. I like This one
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.01.2019 - 13:15
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Bad English on 04.01.2019 at 13:04

Neo folk is not so far away, but this band is not connectet whit metal, as metal musisians side projects. I like This one

I was quite surprised to see all three bands featured here on MS. I think Current 93 has been here for the longest time since they have some reviews.

Yeah it's not metal at all really but it is quite closely connected, especially with black and post metal
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
04.01.2019 - 13:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 04.01.2019 at 13:15

Written by Bad English on 04.01.2019 at 13:04

I was quite surprised to see all three bands featured here on MS. I think Current 93 has been here for the longest time since they have some reviews.

Yeah it's not metal at all really but it is quite closely connected, especially with black and post metal

Music whit sprit and deep meaning. Ms had non metal bands in old days.
----

apos;'
[image]
04.01.2019 - 13:52
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Bad English on 04.01.2019 at 13:27

Any of them got removed?
----
04.01.2019 - 14:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RaduP on 04.01.2019 at 13:52

Any of them got removed?

I think The Who, and two such bands, i know 20 one Demo metal bands was changed name, but no, check old revievs
----

apos;'
[image]
04.01.2019 - 14:30
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Bad English on 04.01.2019 at 14:27

Written by RaduP on 04.01.2019 at 13:52

Any of them got removed?

I think The Who, and two such bands, i know 20 one Demo metal bands was changed name, but no, check old revievs

The Who are still here
----
04.01.2019 - 19:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
We had few bands like that
----

apos;'
[image]
10.01.2019 - 03:07
VIG
Account deleted
Alright, I listened to this one, next, even though technically in your series Current 93 would've been next (I did listen to Thunder Perfect Mind though, it was great, just like B,WEWTSS? and In The Rain)

I think Tony's vocals on this are much better than Douglas's on Essence!. Again, I can tell he has aged and he sounds different, but with Mr. Wakeford here it sounds more fitting, as the music is darker, and he sounds like an older man singing, which is really nice. I definitely enjoyed this more than DIJ's new album. I'm excited to hear The Light Is Leaving Us All next, because TPM was great, as I said.

P.S. I think it's really cool Don from Agalloch played on this record. I'm sure Sol Invictus was a big influence on his music.
10.01.2019 - 11:21
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Guest on 10.01.2019 at 03:07

Alright, I listened to this one, next, even though technically in your series Current 93 would've been next (I did listen to Thunder Perfect Mind though, it was great, just like B,WEWTSS? and In The Rain)

I think Tony's vocals on this are much better than Douglas's on Essence!. Again, I can tell he has aged and he sounds different, but with Mr. Wakeford here it sounds more fitting, as the music is darker, and he sounds like an older man singing, which is really nice. I definitely enjoyed this more than DIJ's new album. I'm excited to hear The Light Is Leaving Us All next, because TPM was great, as I said.

P.S. I think it's really cool Don from Agalloch played on this record. I'm sure Sol Invictus was a big influence on his music.

I think I actually like Di6's vocals a bit more, I guess they sound a bit more fun and less monotonous, but overall this Sol Invictus album has that pulsating sound that kinda beats the upbeatness of DI6.

Curious to hear you thoughts on the new C93, once you listen to that you could also listen to their Swastikas For Noddy and All The Pretty Little Horses albums.

Also once you've had enough of the big 3, try Nature And Organisation - Beauty Reaps The Blood Of Solitude.
----

Hits total: 2965 | This month: 8