Album: The Scythe Of Cosmic Chaos
Style: Death metal
Release date: December 2018

01. Cult Of Starry Wisdom
02. Yuggothian Spell
03. The Summoning Of Nyarlathotep
04. Veneration Of The Lunar Orb
05. Sinister Sea Sabbath
06. The Oneironaut - Haunting Visions Within The Starlit Chambers Of Seven Gates
07. Lungs Into Gills
08. Thou Shalt Not Speak His Name (The Scythe Of Cosmic Chaos)

Speaking of last-minute surprises, Lovecraftian death metallers Sulphur Aeon decided to give us their offering ten days before the year ended, giving us just enough time to reconsider our end-of-year lists.

There have been a lot of death metal bands to emerge this decade and there have also been a lot of bands that use Lovecraftian themes, yet somehow Sulphur Aeon managed to do both so well. The stars were right and Swallowed By The Ocean's Tide and Gateway To The Antisphere plunged them to the world through the sky, making The Scythe Of Cosmic Chaos pretty much their first anticipated album past their breakthrough in the midst of black seas of infinity, and with standards set so high, could the stars be wrong?

Sulphur Aeon's music has always been interesting beyond merely the Lovecraftian themes, mostly due to their blend of black and melodic influences within death metal, and while The Scythe Of Cosmic Chaos has a bit more of the latter, this does not soften their sound. Instead it feels more focused and fun to listen to. Sulphur Aeon still craft some colossal riffs that are such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. The addition of previously live-only members A. and S. brings more fullness and a more band-oriented sound that was lacking a bit on previous records.

One element that is being used more than on previous records as well is the presence of clean vocals on almost all tracks. These are obviously in the minority still, but their contrast to the raspy growls does bring a bit more of an esoteric feel to the already dissonant riffs. I would definitely like to see them use them more in the future, since they are so well-integrated here. The whole record manages to find a balance between more straightforward death with more melodic twin-guitar riffs and solos and growls and more esoteric chants and dissonant riffs and nauseating atmospheres, so much so that it feels like there is a bit to enjoy for any type of death metal fan without ever feeling out of focus or unsure that the sea and the ground are horizontal.

It's quite clear that Sulphur Aeon has no intention of just rehashing, but of slowly developing their sound. The Scythe Of Cosmic Chaos may sound less oppressive (as far as the production goes), but the lifted veil only brings more riffs and intricate structures of great architects went mad.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Written on 09.01.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 165 users
09.01.2019 - 16:12
Rating: 10
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
Great writing, I have similar thoughts, wrote one myself but Hungarian only at our webzine. Album of the year for me.
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
09.01.2019 - 16:14
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Sentenced Odiin on 09.01.2019 at 16:12

Great writing, I have similar thoughts, wrote one myself but Hungarian only at our webzine. Album of the year for me.

Used to write in Romanian on a personal blog as well. Is it worth it to write in your own language?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
09.01.2019 - 16:26
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
Written by RaduP on 09.01.2019 at 16:14

Used to write in Romanian on a personal blog as well. Is it worth it to write in your own language?

I wrote for one of the biggest Hungarian webzine which means a few people follows my "work" , also have the chance to get free tickets for gigs I will write about.
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
09.01.2019 - 16:36
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Sentenced Odiin on 09.01.2019 at 16:26

Written by RaduP on 09.01.2019 at 16:14

I wrote for one of the biggest Hungarian webzine which means a few people follows my "work" , also have the chance to get free tickets for gigs I will write about.

That's pretty cool. I guess it's a lot more centralized than having an international website. I have yet to get any media accreditation based on my work here but I'm thinking of saving for a decent camera and doing photos for gigs as well, which may get me free tickets
----
09.01.2019 - 17:04
Unhealer
Eclecticist
This album engages you from the artwork already.
09.01.2019 - 18:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If lyrics stans out band stans out, soecially in dm.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.01.2019 - 22:25
nikarg

Pretty darn good death metal. I haven't listened to their previous work though...
09.01.2019 - 22:39
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 09.01.2019 at 22:25

Pretty darn good death metal. I haven't listened to their previous work though...

Please do
----
29.01.2019 - 11:54
gavdann

This album is an absolute monster. Could it be described as blackened-death rather than out and out death metal? Either way, it slays..
19.12.2019 - 12:31
angel.
Evil Butterfly
And they're pretty boring in the live shows!!!
----
The Fangirl.
02.01.2020 - 15:19
gavdann

Written by angel. on 19.12.2019 at 12:31

And they're pretty boring in the live shows!!!

I'd love the chance to see them as they didn't make it over to the UK last year.

When I look back at 2018, this plus the Slugdge and 1914 albums are still the stand outs for me.

Hits total: 5494 | This month: 7