05. Естественный отбор
06. Сколько денег
07. На марс!
08. Не все равно
09. #ЯЩЕТАЮ
10. Система
11. Ильич (Son Of A Bitch)
12. Вселенная

I think I'm going to cave to our recent trend (for now) and omit a rating for this review; it always gets me in trouble when I review The SLoT anyway. Ain't gonna stop me from putting this in my top five of 2018... but now you losers have to read.

Not since Slot1 and 2 Wars has The SLoT shown such an interest in its nonmetal side through an entire album, particularly the hip-hop elements that have defined a major part of the band's personality as nu metal practitioners, and the distinctly late-'90s/early-2000s brand of harsh, metallic rap embraced on those early albums has been reborn as a fresher style drawing from contemporary charts. Tunes like "Я выберу солнце" and "На Марс!" fling themselves into spacey electro-pop with lots of reverb, synths, and free-floating melodies that barely touch the aggressive metal grounding. The closer, "Вселенная," commits all the more to the ultramodern aesthetic with a dreamy mix that I, as a metal reviewer, am powerless to describe. "Кукушка" adds to the rap metal lexicon in an unexpected fashion that I would trust no other band to handle with such delicacy.

Swaggering coolness dominates through future-tech sounds that in The SLoT's music are typically relegated to flourishes and accentuations, sometimes utilized for more substantial accompaniment, but never to such a degree; even when the electronics were prominent, they were rarely as focused and concentrated as they are now. This is the band's most definite departure from its metal base. 200 кВт drills into a heavy, exacting groove with the intensity of brain-pounding EDM rhythms; the synthetic sounds take over as the primary vehicle for riffs and melodies, leaving the guitar and bass largely in a support role. We hear chilly keys on "На Марс!", boisterous club beats on "Сколько денег" and "#ЯЩЕТАЮ," and a lovely, wubbly break at the end of "Естественный отбор" to take us away from the otherwise eerie Korn sound. Everywhere you turn, there is some unusual squeal or siren or sample or synth adding layer after layer to each melody.

200 кВт remains, however, a determinedly metal album, and a heavy one - just as much descended from "Мочит как хочет!" as from "Сила притяжения," with a rocky stomp and steady guitar groove that counteracts the poppier aspects. Those pulsating beats meld with dingy, dissonant breakdowns and aggressive, powerfully sung lead vocals, and however far a song may wander during the verse, it always comes back home for a whopping chorus before too long. Therein lies The SLoT's greatest strength: the songwriting. No matter how aggressive or distorted or synthesized the delivery, no matter the evolution the band's aural environment undergoes, The SLoT's unflappable songwriting prowess sustains each album from start to finish. A rap verse, a metal breakdown, and a dubstep drop can all meet in a pop chorus for a unification of each style's strengths. A great vocal line can conquer all. Listening to "Кукушка" for the first time, I experienced a 60-second journey from "what in the absolute hell am I listening to" to "ah, I see, it's my favorite song of 2018."

200 кВт is a bold experiment for The SLoT, even considering that this band has made a career out of blending genres and absorbing new sounds. The styles present here will no doubt alienate some (maybe many) listeners, but this is a group of musicians who can always be counted on for quality performances and quality songs - and they've really stuck the execution here, as far as I'm concerned, so I can't wait to see where they progress from here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 19.02.2019 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 129 users
19.02.2019 - 15:07
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
About time you stopped rating albums. So what about stopping reviewing albums from last year
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.02.2019 - 15:42
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
That being said, this album is so fucking fun
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.02.2019 - 16:25
DahliaRock

WHDYU MEEN THIS ALBUM HAZ NO SCORE MUST BE 9.9 BETAR DAN LAST ALBUM SO MUCH BETAR OMG AOTY!!!
19.02.2019 - 16:41
boo-boo

Is there any place I can find this online for streaming?
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
19.02.2019 - 18:01
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by boo-boo on 19.02.2019 at 16:41

It's on Spotify, don't know if it's anywhere else. Search the album name, the band name doesn't always come up
19.02.2019 - 18:03
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I've always kind of dismissed your reviews for слот since you're such a huge fanboy, but this album was fun as fuck. Gonna go through the rest of their stuff at some point soon.
19.02.2019 - 20:53
FYA
Destroyer
2019 and people still attempt to play nu metal. And - what a surprise! - in Russia. What a time to be alive.
20.02.2019 - 05:38
Rating: 10
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by RaduP on 19.02.2019 at 15:07

About time you stopped rating albums.

***for now

Written by RaduP on 19.02.2019 at 15:07

So what about stopping reviewing albums from last year

I think this was the last one I had in the works. Now that we're in the latter half of February, I'm finally ready to accept that it is 2019.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
20.02.2019 - 05:39
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by boo-boo on 19.02.2019 at 16:41

They uploaded the full album to YouTube.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
20.02.2019 - 05:40
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Marcus on 19.02.2019 at 18:03

you're such a huge fanboy

100% guilty as charged.

I say that to own it, but I do tend to wildly oversell my favorite bands.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
20.02.2019 - 15:03
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 20.02.2019 at 05:40

100% guilty as charged.

I say that to own it, but I do tend to wildly oversell my favorite bands.

At least you're up front about it - doesn't come as a surprise to anyone
23.02.2019 - 14:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FYA on 19.02.2019 at 20:53

2019 and people still attempt to play nu metal. And - what a surprise! - in Russia. What a time to be alive.

Wait till volodimir putman and pariah kuril will read it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.02.2019 - 11:19
nikarg

Taste is subjective and everything but really... I tried as hard as I could but it was impossible for me to go past the second track
Maybe I'm too old or something

You should have rated this probably, it would have made a very enjoyable comment thread
26.02.2019 - 23:37
Man, I don't care, this album is so fun

Hits total: 3795 | This month: 2