Metal Storm logo
Evanescence

Original post

Posted by Bas, 25.05.2006 - 22:11
Ok, so first of all i am aware of the fact that alot of people will come here and bash this band, if you do so i cant stop you, but i can ask you this, why do you hate this band? and most of all, how much have you actually heard by them?

so please people, no mindless bash posts, rather tell me what you dont like about them,

having said that, i wonder what their new cd will be like, i hope it'll be heaps better then fallen (which wont be very hard IMO)
i didnt really like fallen, i think it's not half as good as it could be, because i think Amy is an amazing vocalist, and i like their pre-fallen material very much,

please let me hear your opinions, what do you like better, fallen or their pre-fallen stuff?
13.12.2008 - 23:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Yossarian on 07.12.2008 at 10:42

Not so commercial as Metallica or Theatre of Tragedy for instance.

I don't care for metallica... But what in the flying fuck with ToT?!!!

Not as commercial as ToT.. that was just stupid, Evanescence is waaaaaaaaaay more commercial than TOT ... changing genres is not the same thing as being a fucking sell-out-diva.

And having Wikipedia and Metal Hammer as a resource for information... pfff.

And btw, I do like her music, but I would never call it metal [Guys from PL and MDB... please open your eyes.. you are not like them].

I also think The Doors are here because they are mor eimportant to the metal world than Evanescence [that's why Led Zeppelin is here for example]
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.12.2008 - 09:32
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 13.12.2008 at 22:19

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against this band. Its just as we add them we should add Limp Bizkit. Slipknot for example, everyone hates them, though they are metal unfortunately so I suppose they have a place here. But the fact that 90% of metalheads know Evanescence is not metal is the reason they are not on here.

Point taken... digested... pooped... accepted.

Good day to you, sir! Surly, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
14.12.2008 - 18:33
Yossarian
First, I don't usually say things stupid, except perhaps when I was 16 and earlier. An opinion is an opinion... period. It can't be stupid if does not fit yours.

Second, it should be a crime to compare Led Zeppelin with The Doors regarding their influence in hard rock-metal whatever the name... The Doors are an influence while Zeppelin were the fucking trigger.

Third, please listen the 3 albums that Theatre of Tragedy has released after Aegis before saying they did not become commercial. If you have really done so, you are mistaken...but I am not calling you stupid for not sharing you views.

Quote:

Not as commercial as ToT.. that was just stupid.

14.12.2008 - 22:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Yossarian on 14.12.2008 at 18:33

First, I don't usually say things stupid, except perhaps when I was 16 and earlier. An opinion is an opinion... period. It can't be stupid if does not fit yours.

Second, it should be a crime to compare Led Zeppelin with The Doors regarding their influence in hard rock-metal whatever the name... The Doors are an influence while Zeppelin were the fucking trigger.

Third, please listen the 3 albums that Theatre of Tragedy has released after Aegis before saying they did not become commercial. If you have really done so, you are mistaken...but I am not calling you stupid for not sharing you views.

Quote:

1- If you felt insulted with that word, then I'm really sorry. But C'mon you don't even need to use my age in a comment.

2- You can't talk to me about The Doors, do it with the staff and they will probably give you a fair answer. I just gave an idea to why the might be here. But I still think they have more rights to be here than Evanescence. And you just said it... The Doors influeced metal to some dregee. Evanescence has done nothing for Metal.

3- I'm aware of TOT discography since I concider myself a fan. But that's a matter of how the word "commercial" is for everyone. changing style for the sake of money is sell-out, doing it because you want to change isn't [I don't see a soul saying that Therion is a sell-out] But in any case we don't know the bands intentions [unless they are obvious].
But I can still say that TOT is less comercial than Evanescene and that would be a fact if we take that word in a literal way since I really doubt that TOT has more than a half of Evanescence's fans.

4- Yeah, I was in a shitty mood back then... I know that everyone can think what they want to think. Sorry once again
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.12.2008 - 00:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.12.2008 at 22:59

Written by Yossarian on 14.12.2008 at 18:33

Quote:

1- If you felt insulted with that word, then I'm really sorry. But C'mon you don't even need to use my age in a comment.

2- You can't talk to me about The Doors, do it with the staff and they will probably give you a fair answer. I just gave an idea to why the might be here. But I still think they have more rights to be here than Evanescence. And you just said it... The Doors influeced metal to some dregee. Evanescence has done nothing for Metal.

3- I'm aware of TOT discography since I concider myself a fan. But that's a matter of how the word "commercial" is for everyone. changing style for the sake of money is sell-out, doing it because you want to change isn't [I don't see a soul saying that Therion is a sell-out] But in any case we don't know the bands intentions [unless they are obvious].
But I can still say that TOT is less comercial than Evanescene and that would be a fact if we take that word in a literal way since I really doubt that TOT has more than a half of Evanescence's fans.

4- Yeah, I was in a shitty mood back then... I know that everyone can think what they want to think.

Yes, your right though, it is obvious that Evanescence has more commercial success than ToT, I'm looking at there discog and I must say I don't recognize any of these albums. Where as I have never gone out of my way to check out any Evanescence stuff and I could probably name their albums, the CD stores and music tv channels promote their stuff pretty heavily. I have NEVER seen any promotion for ToT other than on the Internet. I don't think I can say I've ever heard a Theatre Of Tragedy song.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.12.2008 - 07:46
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 15.12.2008 at 00:42

Yes, your right though, it is obvious that Evanescence has more commercial success than ToT, I'm looking at there discog and I must say I don't recognize any of these albums. Where as I have never gone out of my way to check out any Evanescence stuff and I could probably name their albums, the CD stores and music tv channels promote their stuff pretty heavily. I have NEVER seen any promotion for ToT other than on the Internet. I don't think I can say I've ever heard a Theatre Of Tragedy song.

Disclaimer: I listen to and enjoy most of Theater of Tragedy's material.

To put it quite simply, ToT's music just changed from typical gothic metal to a more electronic industrial metal music. As far as I know, it was not for commercial reasons. If anyone thinks it sounds "mainstream" then fine. That doesn't make their intentions "commercial". And to support Dr. Rock's comment: If they are trying to be very commercial with their music, they are doing a REALLY shitty job.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the slap-in-the-face-fuck-you-commercialized Within Temptation...
15.12.2008 - 12:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 15.12.2008 at 07:46

To put it quite simply, ToT's music just changed from typical gothic metal to a more electronic industrial metal music. As far as I know, it was not for commercial reasons. If anyone thinks it sounds "mainstream" then fine. That doesn't make their intentions "commercial". And to support Dr. Rock's comment: If they are trying to be very commercial with their music, they are doing a REALLY shitty job.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the slap-in-the-face-fuck-you-commercialized Within Temptation...

I think you completely misunderstood me, I was just saying they have more mainstream popularity than ToT, its got nothing to do with what they are aiming for or quality or anything like that.
----
- George Carlin
15.12.2008 - 19:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 15.12.2008 at 12:12

I think you completely misunderstood me, I was just saying they have more mainstream popularity than ToT, its got nothing to do with what they are aiming for or quality or anything like that.

Jejeje I think he wrote your name instead of mine. Because his opinion is pretty much the same as mine
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.12.2008 - 10:13
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 15.12.2008 at 12:12

I'm sorry, I guess I'm being confusing with my words. What I meant is that you're comment supports the fact that ToT is as about as popular as kangaroo outside of Australia in relation to ToT's popularity outside their niche fan-base.

And what's with all these ROCK DOCTORS?! There are so many... but Stevie Ray Vaughn is still givin' me the blues...
16.12.2008 - 12:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 16.12.2008 at 10:13

I'm sorry, I guess I'm being confusing with my words. What I meant is that you're comment supports the fact that ToT is as about as popular as kangaroo outside of Australia in relation to ToT's popularity outside their niche fan-base.

And what's with all these ROCK DOCTORS?! There are so many... but Stevie Ray Vaughn is still givin' me the blues...

Yeah, I guess ToT would have what you'd call a cult following (not to be confused with kvlt), they probably have a large dedicated fanbase, but when it comes to mainstream exposure, Evanescence is probably one of the biggest bands in rock at the moment.

BTW- If you look at the sign-up dates, I'm the original Doctor
----
- George Carlin
16.12.2008 - 16:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 16.12.2008 at 12:43

BTW- If you look at the sign-up dates, I'm the original Doctor

But remember that our names have nothing to do with each others. Since you'rs from a song. Mine name is from a member :p

off topicness.. I know...
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2008 - 02:03
Kanto
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.12.2008 at 23:28

Written by Yossarian on 07.12.2008 at 10:42

Not so commercial as Metallica or Theatre of Tragedy for instance.

I don't care for metallica... But what in the flying fuck with ToT?!!!

Not as commercial as ToT.. that was just stupid, Evanescence is waaaaaaaaaay more commercial than TOT ... changing genres is not the same thing as being a fucking sell-out-diva.

And having Wikipedia and Metal Hammer as a resource for information... pfff.

And btw, I do like her music, but I would never call it metal [Guys from PL and MDB... please open your eyes.. you are not like them].

I don't think the problem is Evanescence or Amy Lee, because...ok, if she wants to wear gothic clothes and stuff, don't worry be happy; she is not singing Britney's pop songs so...is not a big problem. The problem is that the mainstream used to have Evanescence like "the most f*cking cool gothic-style band ever! " (and after that probably they'll say something about Depeche Mode or The Cure), specially because back in 2003-2004, with Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte or Christina Aguilera,...Evanescence was the only gothic-like thing, so..."Ok! Amy Lee! Now you're gothic!" ..wtf?

Anyway...I like a few songs, My Inmortal, Going Under, Everybody's Fool (cool intro xP)...
----
...Dude.
27.12.2008 - 02:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Kanto on 27.12.2008 at 02:03

I don't think the problem is Evanescence or Amy Lee, because...ok, if she wants to wear gothic clothes and stuff, don't worry be happy; she is not singing Britney's pop songs so...is not a big problem. The problem is that the mainstream used to have Evanescence like "the most f*cking cool gothic-style band ever! " (and after that probably they'll say something about Depeche Mode or The Cure), specially because back in 2003-2004, with Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte or Christina Aguilera,...Evanescence was the only gothic-like thing, so..."Ok! Amy Lee! Now you're gothic!" ..wtf?

Anyway...I like a few songs, My Inmortal, Going Under, Everybody's Fool (cool intro xP)...

That's not what I was talking about Kanto xD
The thing is that to compare Evanescence with Theatre Of Tragedy is just really unfair, to say the least.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2008 - 02:15
Kanto
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.12.2008 at 02:06

That's not what I was talking about Kanto xD
The thing is that to compare Evanescence with Theatre Of Tragedy is just really unfair, to say the least.
It was "kind of" opinion about the band, and you made my introduction...xD is your (?) fault dude
----
...Dude.
29.12.2008 - 12:26
Coté
XD
Owned xD

I have to say something, I do own Evanescence's cd and the dvd they released for a couple of years ago, and I like them.

I do think that is too much to dress like a gothic when your music isn't it, but what's the matter?, as Kanto said, she was the most gothic chick at the time so as long as she doesn't start singing "baby, two more times" I think is ok.
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
29.12.2008 - 23:00
VPeter
The reason why I can't stand Evanescence is Amy Lee's horrible vocals. The rest of the music ranges from okay to mediocre.
31.12.2008 - 21:11
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

... The problem is that the mainstream used to have Evanescence like "the most f*cking cool gothic-style band ever! " (and after that probably they'll say something about Depeche Mode or The Cure) ...

Watch it... Robert Smith is the fucking man.
31.12.2008 - 21:11
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by VPeter on 29.12.2008 at 23:00

...The rest of the music ranges from okay to mediocre.

Indeed...
01.01.2009 - 14:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 31.12.2008 at 21:11

... The problem is that the mainstream used to have Evanescence like "the most f*cking cool gothic-style band ever! " (and after that probably they'll say something about Depeche Mode or The Cure) ...

I second that.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.01.2009 - 18:20
Kanto
Written by BloodTears on 01.01.2009 at 14:43

I second that.
Yeah yeah, The Cure is a really amazing band...I know. I was meaning that for the "MTV fans" (who says that Evanescence is the best f*cking gothic band) The Cure is also brilliant [well, it is, but not gothic...]
----
...Dude.
01.01.2009 - 18:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Kanto on 01.01.2009 at 18:20

Written by BloodTears on 01.01.2009 at 14:43

I second that.
Yeah yeah, The Cure is a really amazing band...I know. I was meaning that for the "MTV fans" (who says that Evanescence is the best f*cking gothic band) The Cure is also brilliant [well, it is, but not gothic...]

Oh. I don't know about that. I think people see The Cure as a pop rock band. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but it seems clear.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.01.2009 - 19:52
Kanto
Written by BloodTears on 01.01.2009 at 18:38

Oh. I don't know about that. I think people see The Cure as a pop rock band. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but it seems clear.
The MTV World is a really freak world, probably they say that just because of the dark eyes...who knows.
----
...Dude.
03.01.2009 - 08:44
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Kanto on 01.01.2009 at 19:52

The MTV World is a really freak world, probably they say that just because of the dark eyes...who knows.

I think it was because of maybe two reasons:

1. Considering their "master" (aka most popular) album, Disintegration, had a very dark, ambient mood... it would be consider gothic? Dark = Gothic? I dunno...

2. Also, their music kinda spawned from the whole goth rock era when they originated.

I can't stress enough how much I used to worship Robert Smith growing up during high school. I was almost going to be him for Halloween sophomore year!
13.02.2009 - 21:09
Cock_Spit
Account deleted

They say that because of her look. Her clothes, make-up etc.
I'm not sure what Goth means (and is) anymore.
Stupid mainstream.
Yah blame it on them. x]
27.02.2009 - 04:17
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 13.02.2009 at 21:09

They say that because of her look. Her clothes, make-up etc.
I'm not sure what Goth means (and is) anymore.
Stupid mainstream.
Yah blame it on them. x]

Also because most people thinks that her looks + pseudo-romantic lyrics = goth.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
13.03.2009 - 17:57
metalhead3
I have just one their song,my immortal,so can you tell me some more good their songs,my immortal is great
27.03.2009 - 15:29
Yossarian
Written by metalhead3 on 13.03.2009 at 17:57

I have just one their song,my immortal,so can you tell me some more good their songs,my immortal is great

"Tourniquet" from their most known album "Fallen". You can listen to them in their last fm most probably. It is perhaps their most metallic song, besides and one of perhaps my top 20 in the whole style.
31.03.2009 - 20:10
Crimson Lily
Account deleted
Oh, Evanescence. My first love. My first beloved band close to metal. Sweet sweet memories are those. So, here's my story. I first heard of them when ''Fallen'' came out. First I saw the video of ''Bring Me To Life'' on a German TV channel but didn't really take notice (not because I didn't like them, but because I was still young and stupid then and listening to teeny pop, yes I should be burned for that ). Then, when ''Going Under'' came out, I fell in love with them and my obsession started. Of course I bought ''Fallen'' and adored it. You won't believe how many times I listened over and over, I loved every song, all the lyrics, all the guitar work (I dunno why some say it's nothing special, I liked them just the way they were, but then again, I'm no guitar savvy), Amy's voice, everything. I visited every website of them, official and unofficial, read every article about them...you get the picture. I was all like ''Evanescence, you're taking over me''.

Then I discovered ''Origin'', and my oh my, did I love that too. LOVED it. So I became a true fan. I bought the DVD also, I must admit Amy isn't as great live on some numbers as on the album, but that's just my opinion. I bought the new album too and like it, but don't love it. It's a good album, but I still prefer the first ones. There are still plenty of great songs on though, like I said I like it very very much, but the first ones are an adoration of mine.

And what is it I love about them? Like I said, Amy's voice, I think the guitar work is perfect and I can relate to the lyrics.So, everything, the melodies as well as the lyrics are amazing.
Sorry for the long boring story, folks, I could as, with many of my favorite bands ramble on about how I love the band, but I'll stop now for your sakes hehe.

Bottomline, one of my favorite bands ever. Right now I'm listenig to ''Missing'', and God, when I listen to the

''And if I bleed, I'll bleed,
Knowing you don't care.
And if I sleep just to dream of you
I'll wake without you there,
Isn't something missing?'',

I always break down. Well, long live Evanescence!
06.04.2009 - 21:25
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.03.2009 at 20:10

Oh, Evanescence. My first love. My first beloved band close to metal.
mhh... same here
i first properly came across Bring me to life on Youtube. Properly in the sense that I know the artist and the song name, because I was sure I've listened to it at some point in my life. Some research on it told me that it topped the mainstream singles charts for a few weeks, so that probably explains why even though I didn't watch MTV back then. Then found out about Going Under and Tourniquet which I also enjoyed immensely.
The next step was listening to the whole Fallen album and The Open door (which was a bit disappointing compared to Fallen). My ex-room mate then told me about Within Temptation's What Have You Done which sounds rather similar, so I took my time to explore and realise I like the Dutch band too, perhaps more than Evanesence. Then my ex-gf told me about Nightwish and now I really like metal

I find it easier to accept metal if you delve into them eventually from a more poppy/mainstream approach. To sum up my musical discovery:
Evanesence => Within Temptation => Nightwish/Metallica => Epica/Kamelot => ...then go discover the hidden gems yourself.. => you end up liking Avantasia, Beautiful Sin, Dark Moor, Serenity, Iron Maiden, Shade Empire, Eluveite etc
----
loves 小巫
17.05.2009 - 09:55
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Pretty good band, with pretty good music... the only problem is... nothing... they are just music to me. If they dress like goths even not being it's completly irrelevant, I couldnt care less about their messages or any of that stuff. I like their famous songs ''Going Under'', ''Everybody's Fool'' an ''My Immortal''.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/