Metal Storm logo
Evanescence

Original post

Posted by Bas, 25.05.2006 - 22:11
Ok, so first of all i am aware of the fact that alot of people will come here and bash this band, if you do so i cant stop you, but i can ask you this, why do you hate this band? and most of all, how much have you actually heard by them?

so please people, no mindless bash posts, rather tell me what you dont like about them,

having said that, i wonder what their new cd will be like, i hope it'll be heaps better then fallen (which wont be very hard IMO)
i didnt really like fallen, i think it's not half as good as it could be, because i think Amy is an amazing vocalist, and i like their pre-fallen material very much,

please let me hear your opinions, what do you like better, fallen or their pre-fallen stuff?
12.11.2009 - 21:27
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 10.11.2009 at 11:37

And I was hoping that "The Open Door" would continue their melanholic Goth sound...

I don't find anything "gothic" about this band beyond their image. :/
12.11.2009 - 22:47
Slayer666
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.11.2009 at 21:27

Written by Slayer666 on 10.11.2009 at 11:37

And I was hoping that "The Open Door" would continue their melanholic Goth sound...

I don't find anything "gothic" about this band beyond their image. :/

Perhaps that was the wrong term, but I wouldn't be sure about that. Point is, it had a fairly.... uncommon sound and feeling about it. At least as far as I'm concerned.
05.01.2010 - 06:43
Immortal
I really like the album 'Fallen'. It's the only album I've heard but there are quite a few songs I like on it, especially 'My Immortal', 'Tourniquet' and 'Everybody's Fool'. I'm not going to start bitching about how they are this and aren't something else, the music is good and that's all that matters.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
03.02.2010 - 11:39
Ale152
Why aren't they on metalstorm?
20.07.2010 - 20:50
Cyroth
Written by Ale152 on 03.02.2010 at 11:39

Why aren't they on metalstorm?

because they're not metal...I for one say their gothic rock(more in the old days,less in the last 2-3 years of activity until the hiatus)
----
26.09.2010 - 17:47
Kennoth
They used to be my favorite band back in the day....Fallen is still one of my favorite albums, while the other album...is average

I don't think they'll do anything remotely good as Fallen. Why? Because Amy fired everyone she could, and Ben Moody, the co-founder and creative lifeforce of the band, left ages ago. Maybe if they reunite again...
----
*insert something deep and profound*
30.01.2011 - 15:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Just wanted to drop by and say that I'm addicted to the song "Missing" from the aobum Not For Your Ears. Even though the lyrics are chessy as hell the vocal performance make the lyrics really believable and I found that very impressive.... That girl has a beautiful voice imo, sadly Evanescence's music isn't on the same level as the vocals.
I don't like the version from Anywhere But Home though.... Probably because the production seems too loud and clear compared to the older one that had simpler drums and a more organic feel.

Also... Give Unto me sort of creeps me out, probably one of their very few songs that I think it's touching... She's damn good at the piano.

Fallen is still a good album, have nice memories from it....
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.03.2011 - 09:32
Andre
I wouldn't say a huge woot or big boo.
Personally I find Amy's vocal and songwriting favorable, the band isn't too shabby. I have the Fallen album.
Concerning genres, who cares. It's all about liking or not liking.

I'll probably have to post some fav songs later on. Need to check the mp3 disc.
01.04.2011 - 00:12
Elodie Artour
Slania
I friggin' LOVE Evanescence from the bottom of my heart!

Naturally, I first heard the song "Bring Me To Life" on TV in, like, 2003 or something. Back then, I did like their hit singles but I still wasn't a fan of theirs and I also was pretty little around that time. Around 2005-2006 I didn't really like the band because I kept on stating they sucked live. (Which wasn't and still isn't far from the truth - Amy Lee has a good, colourful voice but she certainly isn't among the best vocalists live... In my opinion, being good live is extremely important.) Anyways. Some time later, I got hooked on Ev when I finally heard some more songs by them on a burnt CD. Later on, I downloaded their whole discography ("The Open Door" was due to be released later in 2006) and I fell in love with most of their songs!

I remember I was impatiently waiting for TOD's release date and I found the trailer (the one which featured the "Lacrymosa" sample) damn awesome. When the album finally came out, I started to adore it and it soon became my favourite Evanescence album up-to-date. Not only is it my most favoured one by them, but I also find it the best Ev album so far.

What made me fall in love with Evanescence was not just Amy Lee's voice and appearance. It was the melodies, lyrics which I can still refer myself to, overall depressive sound (yeah, I know... ), as well as other captivating things connected with the band. Of course, I'm not that much of an Ev fan girl any more and I've grown out of that "Amy worshipping" thing. I hate it what a diva she has become, how she kicked out of the band many of her fellow mates, how she keeps on postponing the new record, etc. However, I've never EVER seen Evanescence live and I'd LOVE to! After all, it's their music that has made them what they are now. So, I just put all Amy vs Ben fights aside (even Evanescence vs We Are The Fallen and so on) and enjoy the music.

Sadly, there still is no release date set for Ev's forthcoming album. I keep my fingers crossed that it will hopefully be put out at the end of this year.

Until then, I'll leave you with these great samples which sound quite atmospheric and intriguing (and even remind of me of TOD!) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34pCXXJY9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7sn1rtpBdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNoy2ZNu4VQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMtf5ywIPJE (This is a new intro played at their last gigs.)

P.S. 1: Last year, Amy also had an appearance at the TV show "Lyrics And Legends," performing a new song called "Your Love" which is dedicated to her husband - Josh Hartzler.
P.S. 2: The band's latest gigs are a fest one at "Maquinaria Festival" in Brazil, as well as a "Secret Gig" held in New York City. Fortunately, Amy sounds way better live on both footage.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
01.04.2011 - 02:04
Thrashette
Not the best band, but not the worst either... I'm going to be honest and say that I loved Fallen back in the day (and loved their older stuff more after I discovered it) and it's probably what helped me get into metal in the first place... I still listen to them every so often and I'm pretty sure I have an old Evanescence shirt hiding somewhere in my closet or at the bottom of one of my drawers...

Amy Lee's pretty over-rated though. I was disappointed when I heard her live vocals, though they sound great on album... Appearance-wise, I don't think she's all that attractive. I like the way she dresses and some of her makeup and hair styles but that's it. If I remember correctly, she makes a lot of her own clothes which I found pretty impressive...

I remember that when she was asked in an interview if she dresses like that all the time, her answer was something like "No, of course not, I'm normal." As much as that comment makes her sound like a shallow bitch, I found it kind of reassuring to know that she's aware of the fact that she isn't goth and isn't a poser pretending to be one... And it's safe to assume that those who are saying that their music is goth have no idea what goth music is. I'm not trying to argue with anyone but if Bauhaus rings no bells, do not talk about goth because you know nothing or very little about it...
05.04.2011 - 15:18
Zenzero
Zenzero
I like them! I've made a compilation to listen driving in my car! Some songs are simply beautiful...
20.04.2011 - 11:06
Andre
The band, especially Amy reminds me of my first gf.
17.06.2011 - 18:30
Metal_4Ever
I like this band, Their Gothic are Awesome
And especially Amy Lee give us more Gothical... And I think this band has everything to listen
They have _ballad songs "My Immortal"
_Rock songs "Bring Me To Life"
_GOTHIC songs "Going Under"
18.11.2011 - 00:25
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
After never really getting excited about this band, the band's latest album, simply self-titled, is first one I've found worthy of purchase and enjoy nearly each song I had the chance to see them a few weeks back in Worcester for a sold-out show, and it was excellent! I'd seen some live clips prior to this, and was concerned the band would sound sloppy or flat, but I was completely mistaken; they pulled off a stellar light show all their own, as well as crisp sound in a venue notorious for sketchy sound quality.

It was very apparent the band has put all its focus into the new album, with the majority of the songs in the set coming from it, despite all the fame from previous discs. One of the pleasant surprises for me in 2011 for sure
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
25.11.2011 - 11:23
Slayer666
Written by Jason W. on 18.11.2011 at 00:25

After never really getting excited about this band, the band's latest album, simply self-titled, is first one I've found worthy of purchase and enjoy nearly each song I had the chance to see them a few weeks back in Worcester for a sold-out show, and it was excellent! I'd seen some live clips prior to this, and was concerned the band would sound sloppy or flat, but I was completely mistaken; they pulled off a stellar light show all their own, as well as crisp sound in a venue notorious for sketchy sound quality.

It was very apparent the band has put all its focus into the new album, with the majority of the songs in the set coming from it, despite all the fame from previous discs. One of the pleasant surprises for me in 2011 for sure

After reading this, I assumed Evanescence returned to their melancholic, dark-ish rock sound they had before The Open Door, so I downloaded obtained the self-titled. Boy, was I disappointed. They are still very much pushing that alt metal/rock crap they had on the previous album and sound generic as hell.
25.11.2011 - 13:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nah the new album is pretty good, I enjoy muchly.
25.11.2011 - 16:42
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 25.11.2011 at 11:23

Written by Jason W. on 18.11.2011 at 00:25

After reading this, I assumed Evanescence returned to their melancholic, dark-ish rock sound they had before The Open Door, so I downloaded obtained the self-titled. Boy, was I disappointed. They are still very much pushing that alt metal/rock crap they had on the previous album and sound generic as hell.

Not sure what I stated in my post that led you to believe the band had returned to the sound prior to The Open Door, as what my statement says is that I never liked anything before this new album very much, since this is the first one I have purchased. I really could care less what genre someone throws a band's music in, but I can say that the new disc feels different, has a different production focus, and feels more like a band writing together than their 2 prior full lengths. And at least as this point, they are great live now, whereas I don't think they were before.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
25.11.2011 - 18:09
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Guest on 25.11.2011 at 13:19

Nah the new album is pretty good, I enjoy muchly.

Cool I'm not sure if I can handle too many staffers feeling positive about Evanescence, though, as I'm feeling light-headed just thinking about it
----
25.11.2011 - 20:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Jason W. on 25.11.2011 at 18:09
I'm not sure if I can handle too many staffers feeling positive about Evanescence, though, as I'm feeling light-headed just thinking about it

Well I'll right the ship and express my absolute dislike for anything Evanescence have ever released. That should cure your light-headedness.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.11.2011 - 21:20
Slayer666
Written by Jason W. on 25.11.2011 at 16:42

Not sure what I stated in my post that led you to believe the band had returned to the sound prior to The Open Door, as what my statement says is that I never liked anything before this new album very much, since this is the first one I have purchased. I really could care less what genre someone throws a band's music in, but I can say that the new disc feels different, has a different production focus, and feels more like a band writing together than their 2 prior full lengths. And at least as this point, they are great live now, whereas I don't think they were before.

Yeah, that was a reading comprehension fail on my part right there.

It's not the problem with the genre they are playing, the problem is that they sound way too generic to me, pretty much like every other alt metal/rock band nowadays. And god knows there's a whole shit ton of them nowadays.

Yeah, I imagine Amy is awesome live, saw some clips on YouTube. Great performance.
25.11.2011 - 21:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 25.11.2011 at 21:20
Yeah, I imagine Amy is awesome live, saw some clips on YouTube. Great performance.

The only time I've ever liked her is on that duet with her (ex?) boyfriend/husband/fuckbuddy from Seether.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.11.2011 - 02:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.11.2011 at 21:24

The only time I've ever liked her is on that duet with her (ex?) boyfriend/husband/fuckbuddy from Seether.

She's a devout Christian so I doubt it's a fuckbuddy
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2011 - 09:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2011 at 02:33

Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.11.2011 at 21:24

She just says that to hide the affair she was having with me at the time.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.11.2011 - 12:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2011 at 02:33

Yes because Christians are always squeaky clean Marcel ;]
26.11.2011 - 13:55
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 26.11.2011 at 12:35

Yes because Christians are always squeaky clean Marcel ;]

Devout Christian. Then again, that could mean a variety of things.
26.11.2011 - 18:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Exactly, it doesn't necessarily mean anything.
26.11.2011 - 22:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Devout is just a word they use to make them seem more extreme than regular Christians. It's like me saying I'm a devout black metal fan, when I listen to synth pop on the side.
----
26.11.2011 - 23:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Human infallibility renders such words moot in my opinion. Anything that's a choice, like religion, is a big null cross where "devoutness" is concerned. It could very well be a marketing tactic. I wouldn't be surprised if she slept with 5 guys after every gig.
26.11.2011 - 23:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 26.11.2011 at 23:24
I wouldn't be surprised if she slept with 5 guys after every gig.

Well I can say for a fact she did at least once. Me and my four friends ran a train on her after a gig in Toronto one night.
----
26.11.2011 - 23:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I bet she loved it, the dirty skank.