04. Bat Shit Crazy
05. Distortion
06. A Mother's Prayer
07. Welcome To The Garden State
08. Where Few Dare To Walk
09. Out On The Road-Kill
10. Hole In My Soul
11. In Ashes [bonus]

I can hardly believe that it's been exactly 30 years since I first listened to Overkill and their absolute masterpiece The Years Of Decay. What is even harder to believe is that these dirty old thrashers absolutely refuse to slow down and let up after so many years.

Overkill have been insanely consistent during this decade and The Wings Of War is the fifth album in a winning streak that defies logic. Despite the lineup changes of these last fourty years, the hooligan-styled, contempt-filled, madman-screaming trademark vocals of Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth and the badass motherfucking rhythm dictator that has always been D.D. Verni's bass, make the band's sound instantly recognisable among a million others.

The Wings Of War is typical Overkill; nothing more, nothing less. "Last Man Standing" kicks the door with fury and lets you in the band's room that is full of thrash wonders, also introducing drummer Jason Bittner (Shadows Fall, ex-Flotsam And Jetsam) and I'll tell you right from the start that the man with the sticks has blended very well with the rest of the gang (not that anyone expected anything less from such a talented musician anyway). "Head Of A Pin" drips Black Sabbath's blood through its veins and would have been the best track off I Hear Black, had it been in that album's tracklist. "Distortion" is the longest and most interesting song with a soulful solo in the beginning to set the mood, then a homage-to-Dimebag humongous groove, some distorted backing vocals in the chorus and a lead guitar towards the end taken straight from Iron Maiden's book of melodies.

Further down the record, "A Mother's Prayer" and "Welcome To The Garden State" are the fun-loving, pumped-up punk/thrash dynamites that only Overkill can craft. Especially the latter has all it takes to become the band's new absolute anthem reminiscing "Old School" off of ReliXIV, only one hundred times better. "Where Few Dare To Walk" is completely addictive, with a sinister melody and fantastic drum and bass work. "Hole In My Soul" wraps up the album with one stunning riff after another and a very catchy chorus so be prepared to feel really pumped up long after it's finished.

It is true that Overkill are not bringing anything new to the table with this album but this is the case with thrash anyway. It is the style of metal that has changed very little, if at all, since it was born and it feels very comfortable with its resistance to change. If you crave original, genre-bending, never-heard-of-before stuff you are listening to the wrong band and this is exclusively your fault.

I can't say for sure how high The Wings Of War is placed in the group's list of albums released during the current decade because I think this is entirely a matter of personal taste since they are close to each other in terms of quality. What I can say with certainty though is that Overkill's 19th full-length is packed with riffs, fun and aggression and that's about everything most discerning thrash lovers need.

"Welcome to the Garden State
The best damn place in the U.S.A.
You may not agree, you bitch and you moan
I've been everywhere but it's never like home"

Written on 20.03.2019 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 168 users
20.03.2019 - 23:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
One older thrash band whose more recent stuff I can actually really dig a lot (along with Voivod, but they're not just thrash I guess). Will probably end up giving this one a whirl, although I haven't heard any Overkill since The Electric Age either, so it seems I may have some more catching up to do.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
20.03.2019 - 23:43
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I don't know why, but hearing new albums by classic thrash bands is somehow more engaging and not disappointing than hearing new albums by classic death bands.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
20.03.2019 - 23:57
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
A week ago I saw Overkill live for the first time (along with Chronosphere, Flotsam and Jetsam and Destruction). There was an aspect of the gig that really looked weird to me. Whenever he wasn't singing, Bobby Ellsworth disappeared from the stage. Seriously, the moment a verse/chorus was over, he'd just walk offstage. From a few speeches he made in between songs I thought that he had enough charisma and great control over the audience. Which makes his disappearing all the time all the more uncanny.

Destruction was super cool. The new guitarist and drummer are great, Schmier towers over everyone else and sings like time doesn't have any influence over his vocal cords. The setlist was 95% the 80's plus "Dethroned" from the last album.

I loved Flotsam ansd Jetsam. I've wanted to see them live in ages, and they finally came to my town. The songs from the latest album are fantastic live (Recover, Demolition Man, Prisoner of Time). But it's two classics from their second album that blew me away: No Place and Dreams of Death.
21.03.2019 - 00:25
nikarg

Written by Daniell on 20.03.2019 at 23:57

A week ago I saw Overkill live for the first time (along with Chronosphere, Flotsam and Jetsam and Destruction).

I envy you so much. The latest F&J album is out of this fucking world and I desperately want to hear some songs off of it live. Chronosphere is one of the good Greek thrash bands, they must have been really stoked for being part of a lineup consisting of their childhood heroes. I mean if I were in a thrash band supporting these three I'd definitely shit my pants. Destruction were here a few weeks ago but I was away that weekend and missed them.
21.03.2019 - 00:28
nikarg

Written by RaduP on 20.03.2019 at 23:43

I don't know why, but hearing new albums by classic thrash bands is somehow more engaging and not disappointing than hearing new albums by classic death bands.

It's because young bands playing osdm nowadays actually do it better. That said, just wait for Possessed.
21.03.2019 - 09:35
Rating: 8
Ball Fondlers

I saw the same line up in Munich. Destruction was definitely the highlight, they are so much better live now with the 2nd guitar back. Overkill's sound wasn't good, they were trying to be too loud for the small venue and it just sounded distorted. Fortunately I saw them at a festival last year where the sound worked much better (It's usually the other way around)
21.03.2019 - 13:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How old are you man
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.03.2019 - 15:29
Daniell
_爱情_
Overkill's setlist:

Last Man Standing
Electric Rattlesnake
Hello From the Gutter
Elimination
Deny the Cross
Distortion
Necroshine
Under One
Bastard Nation
Mean, Green, Killing Machine
Feel the Fire
Rotten to the Core
Ironbound
Fuck You
Welcome to the Garden State

The first two songs looked like a warmup, but starting with "Hello From The Gutter" the band was in full swing. The new songs (few as they were) don't impress that much live, except for "Garden State" which sounded great. They play old songs slightly faster than on the albums. "Deny The Cross" was fucking awesome, the best moment of the whole evening. It's epic and heavy begining is a joy to behold. It's probably my favourite Overkill song too. An extended rendition of "Feel the Fire" was another hightlight. I don't really like "Necroshine", but this track sounds quite cool live. DD Verni and Dave Linsk provided cool choruses in many songs. My only minor gripe is that Derek Tailer's guitar sounded too quiet, which was eminent during Dave Linsk's solos (I think he plays ALL the solos).
21.03.2019 - 23:28
nikarg

Written by Bad English on 21.03.2019 at 13:41

How old are you man

My nickname, "Old Nick", refers to 1) one of my favourite vocalists, 2) my actual name, 3) St. Anne , 4) my actual age I am younger than Marcel and I suspect very close with Starvynth and Daniell.
21.03.2019 - 23:29
nikarg

Written by Ball Fondlers on 21.03.2019 at 09:35

I saw the same line up in Munich. Destruction was definitely the highlight, they are so much better live now with the 2nd guitar back.

Following your comment and Daniell's, it seems I shouldn't have missed Destruction that weekend. Damn.
21.03.2019 - 23:40
nikarg

Written by Daniell on 21.03.2019 at 15:29

Overkill's setlist...

Cool setlist. "Deny The Cross" is probably my favourite tune of theirs as well, although it's really hard for me to pick, being an Overkill fanboy and all. They chose to finish with "Fuck You" (their all-time anthem) and "Welcome To The Garden State", which is destined to be their new anthem as I predicted.
22.03.2019 - 05:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Even though Overkill's version of Fuck You is fun and cool I stilll prefer the original bynThe Subhumans.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2019 - 10:00
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by nikarg on 21.03.2019 at 23:40

Written by Daniell on 21.03.2019 at 15:29

Overkill's setlist...

Cool setlist. "Deny The Cross" is probably my favourite tune of theirs as well, although it's really hard for me to pick, being an Overkill fanboy and all. They chose to finish with "Fuck You" (their all-time anthem) and "Welcome To The Garden State", which is destined to be their new anthem as I predicted.

Actually, after "Garden State" they reprised "Fuck You".
22.03.2019 - 12:03
nikarg

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.03.2019 at 05:15

Even though Overkill's version of Fuck You is fun and cool I stilll prefer the original bynThe Subhumans.

I actually prefer the Stiffs' version, it feels more, I don't know, punk.
22.03.2019 - 15:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 21.03.2019 at 23:28

Written by Bad English on 21.03.2019 at 13:41

How old are you man

My nickname, "Old Nick", refers to 1) one of my favourite vocalists, 2) my actual name, 3) St. Anne , 4) my actual age I am younger than Marcel and I suspect very close with Starvynth and Daniell.

I see, buyt you listen Overkill like 30 years and which daniel?
----

apos;'
[image]
22.03.2019 - 15:43
nikarg

Written by Bad English on 22.03.2019 at 15:22

It's unimportant, but I'll be 43 in July.
22.03.2019 - 15:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 22.03.2019 at 15:43

Written by Bad English on 22.03.2019 at 15:22

It's unimportant, but I'll be 43 in July.

Have you children?
----

apos;'
[image]
22.03.2019 - 16:19
nikarg

Written by Bad English on 22.03.2019 at 15:50

Have you children?

Let's not get that personal.
22.03.2019 - 16:35
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 22.03.2019 at 16:19

Let's not get that personal.

Do you have a daughter of marry-able age with a sizeable dowry that could offer many healthy and strong offspring?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
23.03.2019 - 12:49
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
All I know is..... back in 2012 I saw that these guys were coming around my town on tour. I had never gotten that into em, but I checked out the new album (The Electric Age at that point), got floored by Electric Rattlesnake in particular, went to the show, and had one hell of a time.

So yeah, I should probably check this and the two other albums before it out ASAP.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 3864 | This month: 5