Release date: February 2019

01. I
02. II
03. III
04. IV
05. V
06. VI
07. VII

In a parallel universe, Carcass decided to leave Earache Records after releasing the ground-breaking Symphonies Of Sickness. They became interested in a certain extreme doom trio of bands that Peaceville had just formed. Seeking new, darker paths, yet keeping the gore-filled ambience, Carcass became Miscarriage, the unsung member of the Peaceville four. The infamous result passed through a time-space membrane right into our own universe, in early 2019.

Well, of course this is not how it really happened. But isn't it a vivid image? Let me guarantee you that this nightmare-filled hour of doomy gore is even more vivid than my fever dream. Miscarriage is a duo that consists of Jon Paxton (vocals, guitars and bass) from the USA and Ulf Nylin (drums, artwork) who hails from Sweden. Death, suffering and the stench of rotting flesh seem to have no trouble in going the distance and plaguing us all around the globe. You'd think these guys lived right next door to each other after listening and appreciating the cohesive work that is Imminent Horror.

The rarity of this album lies not only in its odd, unnerving sound but also in Miscarriage's previous incarnations. The previous albums that formed the Homicidal Mania trilogy all display a sound and atmosphere more akin to traditional goregrind, albeit far more disturbing and sludgy in its portrayal. It takes courage to completely disregard the vicious and fast aggression they showcased so well in the previous series of albums, in order to take a chance, slow things down and see what would happen. The gamble turned to be a wise and highly original decision. The influences are vast and relevant; from Godflesh's hypnotic pulse, to the crushing malice of acts like Corrupted or Primitive Man. Miscarriage seals the disgusting unison of noise with sickening vocals that come from the most twisted and filthy holes of the underground and, amplified with reverb and echo, they reach a hellish and gargling sound that at times matches the vocals of Revenge and even old Esoteric.

Music like this can be quite challenging and an hour's worth of punishment can be too much for the weak. This duo isn't particularly concerned about pleasing the public though and the intriguing layering and change of pace grants more than enough variation for the bleeding ears of yours truly. Discussions about a year's best releases can get long and difficult to settle, but not when it comes to the most extreme album of the year. The bar has been set really high now.

The horror... Is imminent.

Written on 05.04.2019 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 9   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 70 users
05.04.2019 - 20:58
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I need to wash my hands after listening to this
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.04.2019 - 21:16
Maco
Pvt Funderground
"They became interested in a certain extreme doom trio of bands that Peaceville had just formed. Seeking new, darker paths, yet keeping the gore-filled ambience"

Visceral Evisceration did that already.

Even tho this is waaaay more melodic. Like going from Heartwork to that album lol.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
05.04.2019 - 22:47
mz

Of course if you say gridncore gone doom I would imagine something like disembowelment. Should check this out ASAP
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
05.04.2019 - 23:16
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by mz on 05.04.2019 at 22:47

Of course if you say gridncore gone doom I would imagine something like disembowelment. Should check this out ASAP

You are thinking through the right lines (minus melody + gore). I think you Will like it. Just give it time.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.04.2019 - 23:19
nikarg

This is the sickest stuff I've heard so far this year. To the point that I can't listen to the hole thing in one go.
06.04.2019 - 05:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Easily the filthiest thing I've yet heard for this year, great review man. I'm really digging the album cover too, it has a sort of randomized, irrational creepiness to it that fits the ugliness of the music well.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.04.2019 - 10:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.04.2019 at 05:41

Easily the filthiest thing I've yet heard for this year,

Quote:
Let me guarantee you that this nightmare-filled hour of doomy gore is even more vivid than my fever dream

I was planning to sexually abuse my ears. I think I gotta record to do that.
06.04.2019 - 17:09
mz

Nah it doesnt do much for me. Sounds like another of those bloated hyper sludge albums. couldnt finish it as it was boring.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.04.2019 - 02:50
Desha
delicious dish
I agree that it's just too long for me. Always loved the feel of goregrind and so this hits the mark for me, the cover art is also phenomenal. But it is a bit of slog to get through. Might be part of the point though I guess?
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill

Hits total: 3477 | This month: 7