01. Loss Portal
02. Bloodless Crush
03. Vitrified Galaxy
04. Prelude [CD and digital editions bonus]
05. Slow Moon
06. Quantitative Immortality
07. Chamber Of Stars
08. Acoustic Mirror [digital edition bonus]

If psychedelic music were a giant pool, would you go in feet first like a sissy, or strap on your goggles and go for the head dive?

The Englishmen in the trio known as 11Paranoias are psychonauts who prefer to plunge into that pool head first, and once they do they don't hold back. 2019's Asterismal sees the band essentially keeping their formula intact, a move that could be decried for a perceived lack of forward momentum but that's really more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type situation than anything. The sound here could best be described with buzzword favorites such as "massive" and "swallowing," as 11Paranoias once more conjure forth a riff heavy, entrancing doom metal beast that has long since replaced the blood in its body with Ayahuasca. A very cohesive and well structured effort, it is quite easy to get lost in the listen with Asterismal while its waves of fuzzy guitar, vocal chants, and trippy effects craft a tight, unbroken, ritual like atmosphere.

Songwriting wise, Asterismal has a pleasant degree of diversity as well, and despite 11Paranoias going at a common theme throughout its various tracks, they nonetheless succeed in transitioning through many different shades of psychedelic metal shenanigans as well. The bulk of the album follows in the vein of opener "Loss Portal": a repetitive, spacey, and gradually climaxing doom metal sound. But every now and then 11Paranoias shift course ever so slightly, as with the more Hawkwind-ish feel of "Bloodless Crush," the bass and drums only delivery on "Prelude," or even a more drone-like approach on the "Acoustic Mirror II" closer.

For those not too keen on psychedelic music, let alone when it's infused into metal, Aseterismal may not be an overly appealing listen, as its minimalistic, repetitive songwriting could come off as something of a bore. But for those who enjoy slowly building, well paced compositions that reward intimate, zoned out listens, it comes as highly recommended. Four albums in, with Asterismal 11Paranoias have easily established themselves as a powerful, if oft overlooked force to be reckoned with in the realm of psychedelic metal.

As some dirty hippie once said: "Turn on, tune in, drop out."

Written on 06.04.2019 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 10   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 80 users
06.04.2019 - 10:05
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Droooooop ouuut of life
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.04.2019 - 14:24
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 06.04.2019 at 10:05

Droooooop ouuut of life

Wrong band
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.04.2019 - 14:41
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I'm thankful that I didn't dismiss this band solely based on the awful cover art
----
06.04.2019 - 16:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 06.04.2019 at 14:41

I'm thankful that I didn't dismiss this band solely based on the awful cover art

What's so wrong about the album cover? You're not the first person I've seen say that, think people are getting way too nitpicky about this one. Nice color scheme to it and the pattern is nice, psychedelic, and fractal-ish
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.04.2019 - 16:47
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.04.2019 at 16:42

Written by RaduP on 06.04.2019 at 14:41

What's so wrong about the album cover? You're not the first person I've seen say that, think people are getting way too nitpicky about this one. Nice color scheme to it and the pattern is nice, psychedelic, and fractal-ish

Really off-putting, amateurish and with a shitty colour scheme. It looks like it was made in MS Paint
----
06.04.2019 - 16:56
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
This sounds pretty good. Kinda post punk meets stoner
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
06.04.2019 - 18:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 06.04.2019 at 16:47

Really off-putting, amateurish and with a shitty colour scheme. It looks like it was made in MS Paint

Whatever you say, Michelangelo
----

~ II. VII
07.04.2019 - 02:13
mz

By the way, this band is a side project of Bong's leader
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
07.04.2019 - 04:09
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by mz on 07.04.2019 at 02:13

By the way, this band is a side project of Bong's leader

Yes, Mike Vest, I discovered that connection shortly after the first listen. Makes sense, if you're familiar with Bong you can definitely pick out a slight similarity here in that thick, bass-heavy guitar tone
----

~ II. VII
10.04.2019 - 03:24
nikarg

Written by RaduP on 06.04.2019 at 16:47

I agree. The album cover is godawful.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.04.2019 at 04:09

if you're familiar with Bong

I like the music, it really goes well with Bong (see what I did there?)
The drummer is a star. The guitarist too. The vocals kinda put me off though.

Hits total: 2237 | This month: 5