04. The Unforgiven [Metallica cover]
05. Sad But True [Metallica cover]
06. Creeping Death [Metallica cover]
07. Wherever I May Roam [Metallica cover]
08. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) [Metallica cover]
09. Enter Sandman [Metallica cover] [live] [Japanese bonus]
10. The Unforgiven [Metallica cover] [live] [Japanese bonus]
11. Battery [Metallica cover] [2016 remastered bonus]
12. Nothing Else Matters [Metallica cover] [2016 version] [2016 remastered bonus]
13. Seek And Destroy [Metallica cover] [2016 remastered bonus]

Have You ever thought that Metal isn't only powerfull chords and loud epic vocals? True, it's more like a lifestyle, with it's bits and pieces. And Apocalyptica is certainly one of the pieces - and to be true - a really unique piece. Apocalyptica brings the lifestyle of metal in a classical form into the heads and hearts of the audience. They start the invasion of the unique classical arts with a really good idea - making classical metal by playing one of the Metal Classics - Metallica.

Out from nowhere they came and started something totally new. This album has the best from the many best songs of Metallica - the everrocking "Master of Puppets", the rather slow yet powerfull "outmentioning my own favorite Metallica song "the Unforgiven", that just is perfect in every element. And the guys of Apocalyptica with their overwhelming skills bring 'silently' the same mood and emotions to the ears of the listeners as does Metallica. With 'silently' I mean without any vocals in their musical tales. And that's the point I was trying to reach - these guys from Finland can create visions, scenes and pictures only with the help of the sounds from the cellos. Emotions are not laid in front of one - emotions build themselves up in ones mind - thus sometimes the lack of words and vocals can be a really positive aspect. Sad, but true. So they continue their quest that they've taken and whereever they may roam, people turn their heads and remember them, as Apocalyptica is singular in style and form.

Only two more tracks could be on this album and this would have been one of my true favorites - "One" and "Nothing Else Matters" - but as these tracks among more covers are on the following albums, I cannot really complain. A masterpiece of it's class, a classical tale told in an unique way.

Written by Manic | 03.03.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 86 users
29.05.2007 - 16:47
Rating: 5
Warman
Erotic Stains
This is not a good album. The best song ever; Master of Puppets and wonderful Welcome Home (Sanitarium) are the only great ones. The rest are either okay or insanely boring! Without doubt Apocalyptica's worst album!
----
31.05.2007 - 23:27
Bitch Boy

I really love this album, despite the fact that it's Metallica covers only, the technique of these guys is brilliant. "Master of Puppets" and "Harvester of Sorrow" are my favorites, and also "One", which isn't included in this one but is also great.
28.01.2008 - 22:47
Rating: 7
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Warman on 29.05.2007 at 16:47

This is not a good album. The best song ever; Master of Puppets and wonderful Welcome Home (Sanitarium) are the only great ones. The rest are either okay or insanely boring! Without doubt Apocalyptica's worst album!

Ah someone who agrees with me.... This album is indeed Apocalyptica's worst. Fortunately they're not doing covers anymore (Not that many at least)
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
29.01.2008 - 13:45
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
It's a "nice" album. I mean, if you love metallica its interesting to hear this. They show their skills and the songs turn out beautifully.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.06.2009 - 02:07
Rating: 10
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
It is a brilliant album.

I'm really sad to see people saying that this is bad. To grab the best Metallica songs and play them only with cellos, it is not only showing that Metallica songs sound great every way we made them, but an enormous talent by these musicians that can transform complex songs like master of puppets with great performances in guitar, percussion and even vocals, and turn it all into only cellos.. and make it sound nice! It is simply awesome.

One of the best pieces of art and talent out there.
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
20.01.2010 - 19:39
macraigma

Just realized i have this in my collection... why?!
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
10.07.2010 - 07:28
cjguitar40

This stuff is insipid and insanely gay. It doesn't matter how accurately they perform the tunes, it just sounds retarded. Metallica's material isn't nearly complex enough to sound good when played on classical instruments. All it really does is show how 2-dimensional their songwriting was in a lot of ways. It's an avant garde piece of poop that's only good for a laugh or two.

Hits total: 5852 | This month: 13