09. Pantheon Of The Nightside Gods [The Veil Of The Moon Queen Part 4]
10. Nuns In The Purgatory [bonus]
11. Maleficarum  [The Veil Of The Moon Queen Part 1] [bonus]

The Best Debut Album Of 2019

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
N/A
Insomnium Belzebubs come from the frostbitten north, or rather from the virtual pages of J.P. Ahonen's comics. How well do they transition from ink to sound? I mean, from pixel to sound?

Read more ››
published 09.05.2019 | Comments (22)

Found in 35 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 909 users
12.04.2019 - 14:18
Rating: 8
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Third video from these funny guys of Insomnium Belzebubs...
Unfortunately, this time it's not quite as entertaining as usual.

----
signatures = SPAM
12.04.2019 - 14:26
nikarg
staff
Meloblack AOTY loading...
26.04.2019 - 06:41
Rating: 9
Harmaajoki
We should set up a genre called Insomnium Black

ps Fangirl score don't judge me or I'll fight
----
Shit talking and shit taste, whatever.
26.04.2019 - 10:11
Rating: 6
Ball Fondlers
Insomnium fans, please score your 10's here... then listen to it later
26.04.2019 - 14:48
traililya
Strong!
27.04.2019 - 09:45
Rating: 10
FYA
Destroyer
Keck, this is very good
27.04.2019 - 13:26
Risto
Wandering Midget
Interview in English here, in comic form of course: https://www.inferno.fi/uutiset/belzebubsin-sarjakuvahaastattelu-linjoilla-also-in-english/
27.04.2019 - 13:43
Saif-Hoque
Love it!!!!!!!
28.04.2019 - 20:11
Ok what's all the hype about? some people say it sounds like Insomnium, i didn't feel that much either :/
29.04.2019 - 20:34
Dark Horizons
Nothing special...
----
We are just a moment in time
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand
30.04.2019 - 12:44
nonZero
Wow, where did this come from? AOTY so far - I think so.

While the comparisons with Insomnium are valid (is that the same vocalist?), this release does have a slightly darker sound to it than the Melodeath gods.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
30.04.2019 - 22:20
Rating: 10
FYA
Destroyer
Written by nonZero on 30.04.2019 at 12:44

While the comparisons with Insomnium are valid (is that the same vocalist?), this release does have a slightly darker sound to it than the Melodeath gods.

It's not confirmed BUT:
- If we would compare vocals - they're basically the same
- both came from Finland
- Hubbath (the bassist) play on warwickesque bass guitar, so did Niilo, so I guess it's not a coincidence
01.05.2019 - 16:04
nonZero
Written by FYA on 30.04.2019 at 22:20

It's not confirmed BUT:
- both came from Finland
- Hubbath (the bassist) play on warwickesque bass guitar, so did Niilo, so I guess it's not a coincidence

Interesting. Good to know I wasn't going crazy!
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
01.05.2019 - 16:41
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by nonZero on 01.05.2019 at 16:04

Written by FYA on 30.04.2019 at 22:20

It's not confirmed BUT:
- both came from Finland

Interesting. Good to know I wasn't going crazy!

Not at all.
Above that, they're on the same label (Century Media) and Dan Swanö has been mastering Belzebubs' and Insomnium's last album.
If Niilo is not involved in Belzebubs, than I'm a Dutchman. It's just too obvious.
----
signatures = SPAM
02.05.2019 - 12:54
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by Grouch Douglas on 02.05.2019 at 11:03

The band confirmed in the comment section of one of their facebook posts that it is Niilo on bass and vocals and also Markus V on guitars. Also I think Skullcraft might be Lindsay Schoolcraft from Cradle Of Filth but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks! Can you provide a link?
You are absolutely right concerning Lindsay Schoolcraft, she did the backing vocals on four tracks.

Quote:

The debut album from @belzebubsofficial "Pantheon of the Nightside Gods" has been out for a few days now and the response has been wonderful and overwhelming. Again I want to thank @jpahonen and the gang for inviting me to be part of this project and bringing the character Skvllcraft to life.
Source: Lindsay's Twitter

Written by Starvynth on 05.04.2019 at 11:22

Written by IBlackened on 05.04.2019 at 01:51

Who are the musicians behind this? It's enjoyable

I can't escape the feeling that at least one or two members of labelmates Insomnium are involved.
The vocals are all too familiar and the core team just has to be a bunch of melo-deathers contributing their skills, rather than a trve black metal outfit proving comedic talent.

Remember where you heard it first...
----
signatures = SPAM
06.05.2019 - 14:21
Ball Fondlers
Written by Diplomate on 05.05.2019 at 03:15

Written by Starvynth on 02.05.2019 at 12:54

It was obvious to everyone that Insomnium is behind this. The vocals are 100% Insomnium, the music is 75% Insomnium, the lyrics are 90% Insomnium. There are words in their lyrics that clearly show they were written by Niilo.

I'm 65% sure that I didn't know
07.05.2019 - 11:28
Harmaajoki
Written by Ball Fondlers on 06.05.2019 at 14:21

Written by Diplomate on 05.05.2019 at 03:15

Written by Starvynth on 02.05.2019 at 12:54

It was obvious to everyone that Insomnium is behind this. The vocals are 100% Insomnium, the music is 75% Insomnium, the lyrics are 90% Insomnium. There are words in their lyrics that clearly show they were written by Niilo.

I'm 65% sure that I didn't know

Listen to "Acheron" then "In the Halls of Awaiting" and gimme that percentage again lol
----
Shit talking and shit taste, whatever.
28.05.2019 - 13:37
Rating: 5
Reaper_Redeemer
Extremely overrated.
To begin with, I am a huge fan of Insomnium, especially of their earliest work. I am also a fan of melodic black metal, if we must put labels in genres. I found this release's music bland, uninspired and repetitive. Also, I dislike the commercial direction that this side projects follows and I am really sick that people fell so easily in the trap. There are tons of bands that create this level of music in this genre. Is it the "mystery" over who they are (could any real fan of Insomnium not recognise them? lol...) or is it the visual novel theme and the aesthetic (vomiting)? Could this be compared with Insomnium's albums? If no then why it has such a high rating... Don't tell me the word "fresh", it makes me sick....
28.05.2019 - 17:59
Rating: 7
gavdann
What commercial direction? This sounds no more commercial to me than a lot of other keyboard driven melodeath albums. I didn't even know about the comic book history when I listened to this for the first time, so was able to listen to it without judgement on that level. I like it though. It's not going to be my album of the year, probably not even top 10 but it's a solid record which I've played several times.
02.06.2019 - 19:58
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I think its a pretty good album, love the concept of the band! My biggest complaint is the album feels a bit too serious. The comic is funny but the music is... not. I know its an unpopular opinion, but I would have preferred a more commercial approach to the band. This IS NOT Insomnium! I know there are similarities in the music and musicians but this is a completely different project and should be treated as such. To me, this whole project was a perfect opportunity for new metal fans to get their feet wet and not feel like their drowning. Something very much in vein of Dethklok but with music that wasn't so "in your face". I feel like they missed that mark and ended up just making an album for metal heads.

Anyway, the first 5 songs + The Werewolf Bride are fantastic tracks. Anything labeled "Veil of the Moon Queen" I find boring, long and too serious.
19.06.2019 - 19:56
Himedal
Good but I won't binge it.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
28.06.2019 - 23:19
Dum-Grishnahk
Good but just good. Some songs are strong but nothing special.
18.07.2019 - 16:43
Until the End
Music of the utmost quality.

I'd never heard of the comic version of Belzebubs so don't particularly relate the music in that respect.

It's just a very, very good album. I'd be tempted to put it in my top ten of the last decade, nevermind the year.
12.09.2019 - 11:28
Lulucifer
With motivation, trveness and success aside I believe this album is really solid.

The drums are thight and diversified, a good twist for a black/death metal album. Great guitar solos and good progression with the riffs.

As many of you pointed out the vocals seems like Insomnium. Well many parts resemble either cradle of filth or insomnium which I'm fine with. The speed and complexity of instrumental are for sure some melodeath but the lyrics, visuals, some symphonic moments and the atmosphere of some tracks lean towards black metal, a good blend.

Overall the lows are obviously that it is kinda derivative (or cheesy as you guys say about other derivative bands on other genres) but at the same time diverse since this album brought many influences together; the lyrics are also derivative and common place for black metal; the symphonic parts are tame and it could contribute much more to the progression and texture of some tracks.

The best: Dark Mother
The lowest: nothing
27.09.2019 - 13:16
Ok it's getting better with each listen
04.10.2019 - 03:31
frequenzangriff
This is a really good album, top quality melodic death metal, even better that it's like getting 2 insomnium albums in the same year, but IMHO it's not good enough to be Top 20 albums of 2019
As i understand it this side project started as a self terapy, and the alter egos to maintain anonimity. The videos are fun to watch, the comics are entertaining and really smart at times if you pay attentioon to the small details, like the orientation of the pentagram and several others.

I really hope to see more comic strips and much more music

Hail Satan!
07.10.2019 - 19:42
metalbrat
Overhyped due to their funny videos. Not as good as the ratings they have received.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
12.11.2019 - 18:59
Nick Carter
Written by metalbrat on 07.10.2019 at 19:42

Overhyped due to their funny videos. Not as good as the ratings they have received.

I must accept the videos and comics made me gave them a lil higher rating.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
12.11.2019 - 21:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wait. You mean Belzebubs is an actual band and not only a youtube channel that makes cute black metal vids?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
04.03.2020 - 18:48
ickoriss
One hell of a fucking debut. I don't know a ton about the webcomic (though I'm interested), but judging the music alone, this is some quality melo-black/melo-death. I'm a massive Insomnium fan and this is definitely in the same vein, so I'm all about it. Can't wait to hear more. Let's hope they keep this same lineup.

Hits total: 13950 | This month: 33