Metal Storm logo
Hans Zimmer

29.05.2007 - 21:49
Nixx
Account deleted
I used the search engine in this forum, but it gave no results, so I thought I should make a thread about Hans Zimmer, a man whom I have huge respect for as a composer.
And I believe that he deserves his own thread in any music forum there is to be honest, so.

Anyone else in here that shares my enthusiasm for his work?

Personally, I can't stop listening to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" soundtrack, and "Nyah" from Mission Impossible II.
30.05.2007 - 00:30
Pagan Revival
Account deleted
I defiantly share your enthusiasm for for this guy. One out of my two favourite film composers, like you said Pirates of the Caribbean is awesome, but he's done so much, so many films ive seen and then looked up the composers and it been Hans Zimmer, His work in Gadiator, King Arthur, and The Last Samurai is also awesome. Hope to hear more from him.
30.05.2007 - 00:53
Nixx
Account deleted
Yeah, love his work in The Last Samurai, as any movie composer with respect for the "art of mood", he always manages to capture, well, the mood and the atmosphere, and sometimes (like in Pirates of the Caribbean), make it a real "humm" song, that you find yourself humming all the way to the store.

Truly a musical genius in my opinion.
30.05.2007 - 02:23
Ernis
狼獾
I liked his music created for "The Ring"....especially for the first film....the calm piano music...sometimes violent and nervous....it suited so well the beautiful dark colours of this film and added so much to the environment....
02.06.2007 - 19:57
Ancestral Moon

What about the Hunt For Red October OST? I strongly recommend it, one of his masterpieces IMHO.
----
¸.?**?.¸*·I am following my fishie... because my fish knows where to go·*¸.?**?.¸
22.10.2008 - 17:29
Stigmatized
I've been listening to "The Da Vinci Code" OST lately, and the song "Chevaliers de Sangreal", which could be considered the main theme for the movie, blows my mind. I've heard several of Hans Zimmer's soundtracks and this song has to be my favorite that he has composed. The music itself makes the film so much better.
24.08.2009 - 03:31
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Anyone like "The Last Samurai" soundtrack? The track "Red Warrior" was definitely one of my "musical awakening" moments when I first heard it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eouUdcgXBE
----
loves 小巫
24.08.2009 - 11:16
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Themes by him i like the most are "Crimson Tide", "He's A Pirate" and especially "Gladiator"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.08.2009 - 05:57
ß
Problem?
Written by Ag Fox on 24.08.2009 at 03:31

Anyone like "The Last Samurai" soundtrack? The track "Red Warrior" was definitely one of my "musical awakening" moments when I first heard it

The Last Samurai is an amazing soundtrack, It's definitely one of my favourites by him and of all time, Gladiator is also another one of my favourites
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
28.08.2009 - 13:23
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by ß on 28.08.2009 at 05:57

Written by Ag Fox on 24.08.2009 at 03:31

The Last Samurai is an amazing soundtrack, It's definitely one of my favourites by him and of all time, Gladiator is also another one of my favourites
Yes, Gladiator is very good and he co-wrote the music with Lisa Gerrard and was co-produced by Klaus Badelt. Zimmer and Badelt make a good team, which ultimately gave rise to The Black Pearl of the pirates of the caribbean.
----
loves 小巫
25.03.2010 - 12:55
Alphafemale

Simply adore his stuff
----
'Proud forest rises towards the sky,
in awe I stand silent
Green path of life amalgamates
With my own belief'
09.11.2010 - 04:56
MetalSpider

He's one of my favourites when it comes to soundtracks and just orchestral music in general.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
10.11.2010 - 01:38
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I admit being a bit affected by the opening scene from "Gladiator" where Maximus dreams of walking through the field. Although cheesy in a way, it still has effect on me. Otherwise I am rather negatively minded towards him, his overblown music almost would have ruined "Inception" for me if the extremely bland and uninteresting characters hadn't achieved it already.
21.12.2010 - 13:38
Gurth Bennas

I really like "Angels & demons" and "davinci code" and "Pirates of the caribbean" soundtracks! they're exquisite!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
23.12.2010 - 03:33
Ilham
Giant robot
I think what he does is pretty plain, and quite unoriginal, but efficient. Sometimes a bit too grandiloquent as well, orchestral just for the sake of being orchestral and having millions of people hit on huge drums and blow into hundreds of brass instruments. He's not German for nothing, is he? Haha...
However, every track suits the movie scenes perfectly, and even when listened to separately, it still conveys the emotion it was supposed to. I have recently watched Inception, and the track "Dream Is Collapsing" is just exquisite on a powerful and precise sound system. Perfect music to put on while working on an essay or anything.
I also put it on when I am cleaning-up, the epic and emphatic music gives me the impression I'm doing something heroic. Haha.
23.12.2010 - 14:45
IronAngel

I like his music in films. It's powerful and catchy. It's way too plain and in-your-face to interest me on its own, though. Pretty much what Ars said in her first two sentences. Besides, he always does the same thing. There are much better contemporary composers out there. Give me Philip Glass's Koyaanisqatsi or Einstein On The Beach any day over Zimmer.

I didn't know he'd done something with Lisa Gerrard, I need to pay some attention to that. (Not that she was really the brain behind DCD.)
04.01.2011 - 12:38
0rpheus

A great film score composer. I enjoyed his music for The Last Samurai and The Dark Knight.
----
I would prefer not to.
22.03.2011 - 05:41
Evican
Ann O'War
I love Hans Zimmer's scores and can often pick them when watching a movie as he has a very distinct sound. If you're watching a movie and the music resembles something you think you've heard on the POTC soundtrack, chances are the score is Zimmer's. POTC Trilogy, Inception, A&D and King Arthur are among my favourites.

However having said that, Hans is very conservative compared to likes of say, Danny Elfman who is much more experimental. They would have to be my favourite