Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Christian Metal Band?

Poll

Which Christian Metal band is your favorite?

other, please do tell...
Stryper
Extol
Living Sacrifice
Tourniquet
Mortification
Saviour Machine
Immortal Souls
Lengsel

Total votes: 206
30.05.2007 - 22:36
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
The Christian message is an ever-growing theme in Metal. From the early days it was looked at like a fluke, but now some of the biggest bands in Metal have Christian members, like, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Dream Theater.

But there are those bands which put their faith in Jesus Christ at the forefront of the their music, and those are the bands that I wanted to poll. I picked what I thought were the 8 most popular bands from this faith, but left the "other" option just in case there are other choices. This list just deals with regular Metal bands, and not the Metalcore scene, which is heavily populated with Christian bands. So please don't pick "other" if your choice is a Metalcore band.

So, please pick your favorite, and tell us a little bit as to why.

For me, I have to go with Living Sacrifice. While Stryper is will always hold a place in my heart, Living Sacrifice is still my pick. Their albums are all solid releases filled with some brutal music and powerful lyrics. Even since their break up they're still noted as being a huge force is the Christian music scene.
----
(space for rent)
31.05.2007 - 01:12
Sunioj

I chose extol because I didnt see the other option, woops. Extol is pretty good, but their latest album is pretty crap IMO, just not on par at all with their previous one. But I wouldve said Zao for that matter, great albums, I like how they evolved musically from a more hardcore style to metalcorish.

Haha, deicide also has a christian guitarist, so yeah thats great. But I find most of the bands that play supposed "christian metal are mainly like hardcore or metalcore bands. So IMO I dont really agree with the term 'christian metal'.
31.05.2007 - 01:22
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
The same for me I vote Extol on the list. But not a really big fan of this band.

I have a little preference for As I Lay Dying which is not on the list.
31.05.2007 - 01:25
Ernis
狼獾
I chose the last option...because I haven't got any knowledge of the music of the listed bands...One of the bands I really love is Holy Blood...not just because they're Christian....but their overall music is so good...music is still the most important for me...so I don't pay much attention to the lyrical themes....but as I've watched a documentary video about the band and read about them...and the lyrics are so good....I really love this band....they are almost perfect.....
Horde is another Christian band I have listened to...."Hellig Usvart" is, of course, sort of like a cult classic....but it's awesome....
31.05.2007 - 01:29
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Yeah, I said I was leaving the Metalcore bands off this list because I wanted to just focus on regular Metal. Plus we could create a whole new poll for Christian Metalcore bands; Zao, Still Remains, Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, August Burns Red, Becoming the Archetype, Haste the Day, Norma Jean, Sinai Beach, The Chariot, The Devil Wears Prada, xDEATHSTARx, The Showdown, and Underoath. And there are many more.
----
(space for rent)
31.05.2007 - 01:53
APOHAKC
The Bard
My favorite Metal band with Christian lyrics is Metal Church of cause, they are legends.
Second would beHoly Blood, altough I hear only 10 songs. They are really good, they have really creative style of writting music, really orginal.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
31.05.2007 - 02:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
other - I voted for Believer. (http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/beli.htm)

"Not Even One" caught my ear off the "At Death's Door" Roadrunner comp from the early 90's.

"Dimensions" is also a really cool album - way out experimental considering it was only their third release and their straight forward death metal origins.

Shame they broke up after only their third effort.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.05.2007 - 13:39
Hamird
Lieutenant
other. i like POD ...
they are look nice, but just in their own genre ...
31.05.2007 - 15:02
Ernis
狼獾
Written by APOHAKC on 31.05.2007 at 01:53

My favorite Metal band with Christian lyrics is Metal Church of cause, they are legends.
Second would beHoly Blood, altough I hear only 10 songs. They are really good, they have really creative style of writting music, really orginal.

Which ten songs do you have? And from which album....I've got both albums "The Wanderer" and "Waves Are Dancing"....they are both very good....though the structure of the latter is even better....but at the same time there are as awesome tracks in the first one....I've seen some live videos and their new "Patriot" video....Patriot doesn't seem to be the best song of them but the live video of "Clear Sun" is amazing...though of bad quality....it's sad that I can't download the song itself from anywhere....
31.05.2007 - 21:43
Doh

Place Of Skulls is the best.
31.05.2007 - 21:52
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Doh on 31.05.2007 at 21:43

Place Of Skulls is the best.

They are a fantastic band. Good to hear that someone else knows about them.
----
(space for rent)
31.05.2007 - 21:52
Bitch Boy

I also voted Extol too. I'm not that much into Christian metal, but these guys play really really cool.

@ Hamird: as the first post says, there are plenty of christian bands in metalcore, and POD is one of those.
31.05.2007 - 21:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 31.05.2007 at 02:06

other - I voted for Believer. (http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/beli.htm)

"Not Even One" caught my ear off the "At Death's Door" Roadrunner comp from the early 90's.

"Dimensions" is also a really cool album - way out experimental considering it was only their third release and their straight forward death metal origins.

Shame they broke up after only their third effort.

Also my favourite Christian metal band. Although I prefer Sanity Obscure over Dimensions. Seen them live once and live they also kicked ass. And very nice guys to boot. Apparently this year saw the release of Believer live album called Chosen Live but only featuring songs from the Extraction From Mortality era. And I am sorry to say that album really sucked.

And to the person calling Metal Church a Christian metal band I think that is a bit far fetched, yes, some metal church members are Christians but then again 80% of the bands from the US has one or more Christians in it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2007 - 02:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I vote for other because my fav are melo black metal band from Sweden 'Crimson Moonlight' IMO ist ebst cristain band ever and also some band members are played to other cristian bands and also Sweeds has BM band Armauk who are cristians too so I loike those bands, also Norwegians doomsters Antestor and To Cast a Shadow
Those are my fav band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.06.2007 - 04:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Bad English on 01.06.2007 at 02:07

also Norwegians doomsters Antestor

Antestor are amazing, I have two of their albums, trying to find more.
----
(space for rent)
01.06.2007 - 13:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dane Train on 01.06.2007 at 04:39

Written by Bad English on 01.06.2007 at 02:07

also Norwegians doomsters Antestor

Antestor are amazing, I have two of their albums, trying to find more.

I agree about it I have noa lbums but I had hear moustly all albums in past
Its awsome
----

apos;'
[image]
04.06.2007 - 08:42
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Angra, well i know that many of the themes in their lyrics are biblical with refernces.
04.06.2007 - 18:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Guest on 04.06.2007 at 08:42

Angra, well i know that many of the themes in their lyrics are biblical with refernces.

Angra is not a Christian band. Just because a band references the Holy Bible doesn't mean they're a Christian band. Maybe some of the members of Angra are, not sure. Does anyone know? But Metallica, Iron Maiden, Orphaned Land and many other bands quote the Bible as well.
----
(space for rent)
04.06.2007 - 18:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dane Train on 04.06.2007 at 18:39

Angra is not a Christian band. Just because a band references the Holy Bible doesn't mean they're a Christian band. Maybe some of the members of Angra are, not sure. Does anyone know? But Metallica, Iron Maiden, Orphaned Land and many other bands quote the Bible as well.

I think thay all are chatolics man from Angra, but OL thaya lso quote the coran and juish holy bock dunno name in english

BRW does IM are satanist I woundering about it
----

apos;'
[image]
05.06.2007 - 13:34
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 04.06.2007 at 18:39

I dont suppose you've ever listened to Angra or read their lyrics. Esspecially Temple of Shadows, where every song has a refence before the actual lyrics. Then they sing about it in a positive way. But hey thats your opinion. In my opinion megadeth a bordering on christian metal these days, many lyrics from TSHF come from Daves faith in god.
05.06.2007 - 15:50
Hyvaarin

I won't vote because I haven't heard many of those bands. If I were to vote, though, it'd indubitably be for STRYPER, as they are hilarious and ass-kickin'.

IT'S THE YELLOW AND BLACK ATTACK!!
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
05.06.2007 - 21:46
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Guest on 05.06.2007 at 13:34

I dont suppose you've ever listened to Angra or read their lyrics. Esspecially Temple of Shadows, where every song has a refence before the actual lyrics. Then they sing about it in a positive way. But hey thats your opinion. In my opinion megadeth a bordering on christian metal these days, many lyrics from TSHF come from Daves faith in god.

Actually Temple of Shadows is playing right now in my room! Yes I have read the lyrics. There are references and the like, but they are still not considered a Christian Band. I mean, even Opeth has references, but that doesn't make them a Christian Band.

And With Megadeth, I would agree many of their newer songs are Christian songs, but it is still not the forfront of their music such as bands like Stryper or Extol.
----
(space for rent)
06.06.2007 - 09:22
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 05.06.2007 at 21:46

Written by Guest on 05.06.2007 at 13:34

Actually Temple of Shadows is playing right now in my room! Yes I have read the lyrics. There are references and the like, but they are still not considered a Christian Band. I mean, even Opeth has references, but that doesn't make them a Christian Band.

And With Megadeth, I would agree many of their newer songs are Christian songs, but it is still not the forfront of their music such as bands like Stryper or Extol.

Ok then you define to me exactly what you think a christian band is. What characteristics are required for you to class a band as christian?
For me, it's faith in god, some songs about god and the faith of the band, biblical stories in the songs... Am I wrong?
06.06.2007 - 18:33
VPeter

I dispise most christian metal bands, since they want to convert you and you can see that on their lyrics, speaking about lyrics most christian bands have very poor lyrics and are mostly like "turn to jesus or else you will burn" wich is quite laughable. I espcially find "christian black metal" hilarious, it doesn't fit at all and how you can music in a genre with a anti-christian theme is beyond me. I'm mostly a folk metal fan, so I quickly heard about Holy blood, I gave them a try and that guy has one of the most anyoing vocals I ever heard. it's just black/death metal with here and there some simple flute play and the lyrics are again "covert or you will burn". Still there are some really great christian bands, like Allice cooper, Kekal and Saviour machine. I voted for Saviour Machine, they have for a change inteligent christian lyrics and Eric has a amazing voice.
06.06.2007 - 18:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VPeter on 06.06.2007 at 18:33

I dispise most christian metal bands, since they want to convert you and you can see that on their lyrics, speaking about lyrics most christian bands have very poor lyrics and are mostly like "turn to jesus or else you will burn" wich is quite laughable. I espcially find "christian black metal" hilarious, it doesn't fit at all and how you can music in a genre with a anti-christian theme is beyond me. I'm mostly a folk metal fan, so I quickly heard about Holy blood, I gave them a try and that guy has one of the most anyoing vocals I ever heard. it's just black/death metal with here and there some simple flute play and the lyrics are again "covert or you will burn". Still there are some really great christian bands, like Allice cooper, Kekal and Saviour machine. I voted for Saviour Machine, they have for a change inteligent christian lyrics and Eric has a amazing voice.

Same i acns ay about BM bands and DM bands sorry its ugly sing
Kill her stabb her drunk her blood(DM)

or Hail 66 grraaaa evil livfe die for it9BM)

or I wanna women tonight
I gonna make her happy(Glam)

such lyrics are cheep and boring and if band are crsitains it dont mean thay had talant, ewery kind of musicians shood be talant and and talanted bands are rear
----

apos;'
[image]
06.06.2007 - 19:01
VPeter

I know, but some of those christian bands even surpass the lameness of most satanic bands in lyrics.
06.06.2007 - 21:38
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by VPeter on 06.06.2007 at 18:33

I went looking through my rather extensive library of Christian Metal and could not find one band that said anything about "Turn to Jesus or you will burn." So I am not sure what bands you are talking about. Could you please provide me with the band, song and lyric sample?

Why didn't I find any? For two big reasons: 1. Christian bands are not about 'forcing' anyone into faith in Christ. Second, no where in the Bible does it say "Turn or Burn". So why would bands sing about something that is not scripturally based?

Thinking about Christian lyrics in Metal songs got me thinking. So I put together a list of some of the best songs our band uses for worship.

Thrice - "Image of the Inisble"
Demon Hunter - "My Throat is an Open Grave"
Living Sacrifice - "Perfect"
Killswitch Engage - "Take This Oath"
Anthrax - "Safe Home"
Kolannie Glackler - "A Sign and a Wonder"
Virgin Black - "Beloved"
Stryper - "Passion"
Dream Theater - "Take Away My Pain"
Jonathan Helser - "God is Love"
U2/Fear Factory - "I Will Follow"
James LaBrie - "Crucify"
Opeth - "In My Time of Need"

Not one of those songs is about "burning". They are about love, commitment, faith, Grace, passion, and fellowship as well as brokenness, abandonment, loss and pain. I could go on to list so many more, but I don't feel that is necessary.

The fact is, many Christian bands have outstanding lyrics filled with passion and love. Their songs are songs of praise and worship songs, not some street preacher handing out tracks. I am not saying you have to like Christian music, because there is a lot I don't even like, but don't make ignorant comments about it.
----
(space for rent)
06.06.2007 - 22:51
VPeter

sure.
Slechtvalk-T.M.B.W.G.M.N.L.
The Messias has come upon our earth to bring us a world of peace
The Savior has won, from the Lord of demonic fallen angels
He gave us His life, so that we could live for eternity in Heaven
To become immortal you have to let Him live in your heart

[Chorus 1:]
Let us all gather in this holy place
To bring praise and worship to the mighty Lord
Open your heart and let Him enter
And feel His love as you will pray

The blood of the Martyr, who was slain on the cross
brought death to the wicked and life to the dead
The Sins of the world, He carried to his death
And Death He did beat in the pools of hell

[Chorus 2:]
Heaven awaits the reborn souls
And hell is for those, who let Him fall
The battle He has won, so we shouldn't fear
Death if we live in the Lord

You have come to earth to die
You gave your life for us to live [2x]

Darkness falls unto those
who have rejected Jesus' sacrifice [2x]

Your soul is not something you can throw away
And not feel the consequence of your acts
Jesus has given you a chance to live
In heaven for eternity at His side

[Chorus 3:]
For once be serious in your life
And accept the Lord as your only Lord
Do not sell your soul to the lord of the dead
'cause once you're dead, you are unsaved

Sorrowstorm-Occult Moon
Crushing angst to find a better way
To live a life without pain
The portal opens, and the gate cannot be shut

The room is filled with shadows
And skin begins to burn
How do you stop this power of the occult?
Devices of the age when Christians were disgraced
The blasphemy must end. It must end

Human beings admired the mystical
Since fallen man was born
Creating Voids not filled with God
Creatures of the darkness roamed about
Inspiring our idolatry
Civilization under the soulless moon

The stars guide our lives
Cursed cards, crystal spheres
reading palms, spewing savage lies
Satan lives to rule his realms

The blindness of our godless eyes
Instilling greed and fueling pride
Millions killed for simple earth
Kings betrayed and widows stoned to death

The room is filled with shadows
And skin begins to burn
How do you stop the power of the occult?

Did you know that the one you adore
Is hateful and wretched beyond your control
I rebuke the power that binds in the name of Christ

The moon awaits the spells and chants, all etched in stone
Your veins crave the presence of the unholy one
YOU ARE DECEIVED, YOU ARE DECEIVED,
The CHRIST is your only hope
YOU ARE DECEIVED, YOU ARE DECEIVED,
The CHRIST is your only hope

The pain, let it end
Binding spells will lead your being astray
The hurt swept away
You reject the lies
Searching for souls to tempt,

Crimson Thorn-No Exceptions
Hanging on the CROSS the price was paid
Blood shed for remission of sins
You don't care well that's too bad
There will be a price to pay
HE'S the living GOD
Raised from the dead
Crucify your life
Through CHRIST be BORN AGAIN
Satan is defeated
CHRIST in victory rose from the dead
Satan puffs himself up to appear mighty
He knows his future is in the flames
Your whole life was just day one of eternity
JESUS wants to greet you in his loving embrace
There are no exceptions
If you haven't chosen CHRIST you chose satan
There is no middle ground
Your eternity depends on your choice
HE'S the living GOD
Raised from the dead
Crucify your life
Through CHRIST be BORN AGAIN
HE'S ALIVE

I have many more were that came from. sounds pretty forcing down the throught to me. by the way a member of Antestor even admitted that they want to spread the word.
06.06.2007 - 23:18
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
None of that sounds like "forcing down your throat". In fact those all sound like rather scripturally sound lyrics. Those are all songs of praise. It seems to me like you just don't like Christians and the message of Jesus so when ever someone says something about Jesus they are "forcing it onto you".

From reading those lyrics this is what I got:
1. Jesus died to atone the world.
2. We has humans make a choice
3. God is love.

Oh yeah, really terrible evil Christian lyrics there.

Also, I know full well about Antestor, Demon Hunter, Stryper, etc wanting to spread the Word. Heck, that is what our own band, The Long Nose of God, does. They spread the Word through Metal.
----
(space for rent)
06.06.2007 - 23:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
those lyrics are no worse than anything I've read by Dark Funeral...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!