Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Christian Metal Band?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 30.05.2007 - 22:36
The Christian message is an ever-growing theme in Metal. From the early days it was looked at like a fluke, but now some of the biggest bands in Metal have Christian members, like, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Dream Theater.

But there are those bands which put their faith in Jesus Christ at the forefront of the their music, and those are the bands that I wanted to poll. I picked what I thought were the 8 most popular bands from this faith, but left the "other" option just in case there are other choices. This list just deals with regular Metal bands, and not the Metalcore scene, which is heavily populated with Christian bands. So please don't pick "other" if your choice is a Metalcore band.

So, please pick your favorite, and tell us a little bit as to why.

For me, I have to go with Living Sacrifice. While Stryper is will always hold a place in my heart, Living Sacrifice is still my pick. Their albums are all solid releases filled with some brutal music and powerful lyrics. Even since their break up they're still noted as being a huge force is the Christian music scene.

Poll

Which Christian Metal band is your favorite?

other, please do tell...
Stryper
Extol
Living Sacrifice
Tourniquet
Mortification
Saviour Machine
Immortal Souls
Lengsel

Total votes: 206
01.08.2010 - 15:37
Rob-EDL
I would have to say Majestic Vanguard, i'm not really a fan of religious bands but these guys are awesome
09.08.2010 - 04:20
ThisIsNotHere
Written by BitterCOld on 01.08.2010 at 09:30

this is perhaps the single best response to any thread i've read here in a week.

kudos to you.

and seeing as you mentioned gay pride parades... enjoy.

I read the Onion article. And well... it's true. I could accomplish what the gay pride movement currently is doing by simply making a paper mache penis mask, wrapping Christmas lights around it, and then proceeding to run down the street screaming and flailing in a rage of autistic proportions. Marcel Duchamp would be proud. Gay pride parades only piss off people even more, and instead of taking the hint, the gays just ramp up the drama. It's the ouroboros of futility.

If one wants a goal accomplished, they have to market it to the audience. Applies to Christian black metal as well. People rarely seem to listen to music just for its artistic value (which I find to be unfortunate, good music sometimes gets overlooked as a result), so image is also important. And it seems the Christian bm bands are doing the same thing that gay rights activists are doing: being way too over the top with image and methods to have any significant chance of appeal.
----
I almost cried because I acted so insensitive
09.08.2010 - 16:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Demon Hunter! they are by far the best religious band.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.08.2010 - 16:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Oops didnt read original post sorry
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.08.2010 - 21:46
XBRUTALITYX
Check out Corpus Christi!
They are my favorite christian metal band out there so far

this is a link for their new video which is sick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BKdlg6Jlc
14.08.2010 - 07:35
Derwood
Written by XBRUTALITYX on 13.08.2010 at 21:46

Check out Corpus Christi!
They are my favorite christian metal band out there so far

this is a link for their new video which is sick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BKdlg6Jlc

I freely admit I'm not the biggest fan of metalcore, but that song would be 1000% better without the Finger 11 sounding clean vocals. They just don't belong in metal. Or hardcore.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
15.08.2010 - 09:22
Hanyuchan
Virgin Black, didnt know they were christian till recently
15.08.2010 - 14:20
Perseverance
Account deleted
Living Sacrifice! Br00talXXBr00talX
16.11.2010 - 04:58
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Dane Train on 21.11.2009 at 18:03

Written by Daggon on 21.11.2009 at 08:27

On a side note, are Shadow Gallery a christian band, I've been listening to them recently and I find their stuff really great, nice prog metal, and the vocals, oh shit, the vocals are quite good, if they are christian they I'll have to say they are my favorites in this poll.

It is in interesting thing when looking at Shadow Gallery and defining them as a "Christian" band. I typically classify a Christian band as one whose members are Christians and their lyrics are about some aspect of Christian faith. All the members of Shadow Gallery are devote Christians but lyrically that is not typically what is going on. Shadow Gallery along with several other Prog bands kind of fall into this group like King's X, James LaBrie, Glass Hammer and Galactic Cowboys.

Ah ok, thanks for explaining, thin I think I'll go for Tourniquet this time
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
05.12.2010 - 08:50
renai
Hmm.. maybe Narnia? the Rob Rock and friends band. I don't know there are really a number of metal band using christian theme.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
05.12.2010 - 19:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
I voted other... and my favorite would certainly be Sympathy a christian Technical Death Metal band from Canada.
They're really good. I recommend them !

Oh and btw Im not christian ... but the band is great
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.05.2011 - 17:39
algirdongas
Christian metal... isnt that an oxymoron?
btw none of the mentioned bands are any good.
07.05.2011 - 09:31
Night Sight
August burns red
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
07.05.2011 - 10:19
Yasmine
Written by algirdongas on 04.05.2011 at 17:39

I agree, not a Christian here either, AT ALL.

I like only Cage, nice Judas Priest sound.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
07.05.2011 - 14:46
JD
Account deleted
Voted for other :
Impending Doom - Death Metal\Deathcore.
07.05.2011 - 17:04
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite

How is Christian Metal an oxymoron?
----
(space for rent)
09.05.2011 - 09:04
Richard 32
I clicked other because I was thinking of As I Lay Dying, but then I read the original post, and now I feel like an idiot.

I would probably go with Extol for non-metalcore Christian bands.

By the way, wouldn't Becoming the Archetype be Death Metal rather than Metalcore? If I remember correctly anyway.
09.05.2011 - 09:42
Yasmine
Written by Dane Train on 07.05.2011 at 17:04

How is Christian Metal an oxymoron?

I would not say that, dont see how, however the statement "The Christian message is an ever-growing theme in Metal" is pretty laughable.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
09.05.2011 - 14:23
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Yasmine on 09.05.2011 at 09:42

the statement "The Christian message is an ever-growing theme in Metal" is pretty laughable.

Why do believe that is true?
----
(space for rent)
09.05.2011 - 14:46
Vombatus
Potorro
My favorite would be Horde, or maybe death metal-era of Mortification.

Oh, I see the never ending debate about metal/christian incompatibility is still going on.... you guys never get tired ?
09.05.2011 - 14:57
Yasmine
Written by Dane Train on 09.05.2011 at 14:23

Written by Yasmine on 09.05.2011 at 09:42

the statement "The Christian message is an ever-growing theme in Metal" is pretty laughable.

Why do believe that is true?

Because it's still a constant that religion is shunned by the vast majority of metal bands.
----
09.05.2011 - 15:41
ANGEL REAPER

no that is not an oxymoron....
term Cristian Black Metal is....
because the conflict between "ideology" of BM and Cristian religion....
Cristian Metal is as a term just fine......
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.05.2011 - 07:40
War of ages is decent
----
mark my words and remember me
11.05.2011 - 18:36
avigruss
Very difficult to tell!
I'm a great fan of christian metal.
I prefer probably last Cage (Hell Destroyer) and Rob Rock, but also Narnia.... to much I know ehehe
11.05.2011 - 18:37
avigruss
Written by renai on 05.12.2010 at 08:50

Hmm.. maybe Narnia? the Rob Rock and friends band.

I agree with you ;-)
12.05.2011 - 01:15
renai
Written by avigruss on 11.05.2011 at 18:37

Written by renai on 05.12.2010 at 08:50

Hmm.. maybe Narnia? the Rob Rock and friends band.

I agree with you ;-)

and just recently I listen that band Divinefire, and it is not a bad one also.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
12.05.2011 - 08:52
Metal is a very worldly music genre and for so-called Christians to adopt it as an artform is kind of stupid in itself. The type of "Christianity" "Christian Metal" bands are actually practicing isn't of the ascetic variety but a watered down version. Let's face it, Christianity like other religions based on self-denial and self-sacrifice do not encourage creativity, I really doubt it if Black Sabbath would have been birthed if the Spanish Inquisition or Christian fundamentalists were in power in Birmingham, England during the late 60's so metal with a "Christian" label is basically bullshit
12.05.2011 - 09:20
Yasmine
Well most fundementalist will hate metal, from the look of the forum it seems most fans are in fact irreligious. However you've to remember everything from holidays to this to rituals, Christianity will try to assimulate it in order to gain power.
----
12.05.2011 - 11:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Yeah because christian metal bands are all about getting POWER!!!

Oh..one more thing: Even though most metalheads shun religion it doesn't mean that this christian theme isn't growing.

Written by Kennoth on 01.05.2010 at 23:42

Couldn't care less to be honest. It's their right choosing Christianity as their primary musical direction, but since I'm a devoted atheist I don't really want to hear any regardless of awesomeness of their music (yup, even that is a possibility)

Well, if you can't understand the lyrics due to let's say growls, then it should be fine right?
I honestly don't give a damn about the lyrics even if I understand them. No offense buddy but if there is a band that sounds friggin good and you shun them just because of their lyrics... It's quite shallow.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2011 - 11:57
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.05.2011 at 11:17

Well, if you can't understand the lyrics due to let's say growls, then it should be fine right?
I honestly don't give a damn about the lyrics even if I understand them. No offense buddy but if there is a band that sounds friggin good and you shun them just because of their lyrics... It's quite shallow.

Totally agree with this.
I mean, do you listen metal for the music or to hear lyrics about something you like ?
I don't get why someone wouldn't like a band just coz the lyric theme doesn't pleases them. It's a extremely narrow-minded vision. It's as stupid as a Christian saying he won't listen BM coz he doesn't like the lyrics even if he enjoys the music.
It's also pretty ridiculous to see people saying that Christiany is incompatible with metal but then think other religions are acceptable with metal. Why would Satanism or Paganism be ok and not Christianity ? All of them have, in a relative way, the same basic concepts.