11. Orphan
12. My Pain
13. Not Long For This World
14. Solway Firth
15. All Out Life [Japan bonus]

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Emerging from a decade of turmoil that would destroy lesser bands, Slipknot have kept moving forward despite setback after setback, We Are Not Your Kind is the end product of this defiance, to overcome rather than stop. While the band does have a wealth of extenuating circumstances, even being charitable, it's a good but not great album; We Are Not Your Kind is just that, it's not my kind of fun.

Read more ››
published 28.06.2020 | Comments (4)

Found in 28 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 936 users
16.05.2019 - 17:52
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
New Slipknot. First single.

----
signatures = SPAM
16.05.2019 - 18:12
Ball Fondlers
Vom
16.05.2019 - 18:48
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by Ball Fondlers on 16.05.2019 at 18:12

Vom

Is it THAT bad? Didn't even see the whole thing, just fast-forward and muted.
----
signatures = SPAM
16.05.2019 - 20:11
nikarg
staff
Written by Starvynth on 16.05.2019 at 18:48

Vom

It's godawful even for Slipknot standards. But then again I shouldn't judge since I'd rather listen to Cardi B (thanks for the recommendation RaduP) than anything Slipknot have ever released.
16.05.2019 - 21:51
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by nikarg on 16.05.2019 at 20:11

It's godawful even for Slipknot standards. But then again I shouldn't judge since I'd rather listen to Cardi B (thanks for the recommendation RaduP) than anything Slipknot have ever released.

Good choice and not surprising.
Do you remember Maasai Mara?
Even he swears by Cardi B so it just has to be an "old Thrashheads' guilty pleasure" thing.

You know, just like...
Death Metal veterans -> Tori Amos
Doomsters -> ABBA
Power Metal fans -> Petshop Boys
1st wave worshippers -> Michael Jackson
2nd wave addicts -> Rihanna
Progheads -> U2

Source: first-hand experience and three decades of study and research
----
signatures = SPAM
17.05.2019 - 04:52
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
^ proof that anyone who says "metalheads do know what good music is" is just spewing nonsense

This video was basically made to show the new masks designs.
Music-wise it sounds like a poppy version of a bad "The Gray Chapter"-era demo.
So well, not impressed... sadly (but as far as pop-metal goes, this is still better than any recent In Flames).
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
17.05.2019 - 07:24
Ball Fondlers
Written by Starvynth on 16.05.2019 at 18:48

Vom

I actually thought at the beginning of the clip that it wasn't too bad and that they were doing something different. I thought "maybe I've been wrong about this band"... then they started Slipknotting
10.06.2019 - 21:21
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Starvynth on 16.05.2019 at 21:51

Doomsters -> ABBA
Power Metal fans -> Petshop Boys

Source: first-hand experience and three decades of study and research

Can relate. ABBA is the best swedish band next to 'Shuggah.
10.06.2019 - 23:00
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by FYA on 10.06.2019 at 21:21

Can relate. ABBA is the best swedish band next to 'Shuggah.

TBH, I didn't mean all of it too seriously, but there's definitely a grain of truth in it.
----
signatures = SPAM
03.08.2019 - 11:25
Rating: 9
MH_WarWizard
I'm always up for more slipknot, although i guess i'm one of the few lol
----
Oh Glorious Metal
08.08.2019 - 10:14
s_t_s
Written by MH_WarWizard on 03.08.2019 at 11:25

I'm always up for more slipknot, although i guess i'm one of the few lol

Well I kinda like Slipknot too even though I made a tough selection, Volume3 and The Gray Chapter are the only albums I like. I have listened to some songs of the new (and leaked) album but I don't find that vibe I used to like, too much clear singing in here. Hopefully the songs structure is pretty unusual and interesting.
09.08.2019 - 08:40
Theodore V
Account deleted
Definitely not MY kind
09.08.2019 - 11:45
MH_WarWizard
I've given the album a few listens and so far i'm liking what i'm hearing. There's a lot of clean vocals on this album, in particular "spiders" and "my pain" but they both have a creepy vibe. I still would rather listen to those 2 then "snuff".
----
Oh Glorious Metal
09.08.2019 - 15:04
HyperDrifter
Written by MH_WarWizard on 09.08.2019 at 11:45

I've given the album a few listens and so far i'm liking what i'm hearing. There's a lot of clean vocals on this album, in particular "spiders" and "my pain" but they both have a creepy vibe. I still would rather listen to those 2 then "snuff".

I actually though the opposite, there's a lot less clean vocals here than the previous efforts.
09.08.2019 - 22:34
Rating: 7
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
09.08.2019 - 23:16
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
One of their finest offerings .. less alt-metal more old slipknot sound than the last 2 albums.
10.08.2019 - 00:13
MH_WarWizard
Written by pazuzuovbabel on 09.08.2019 at 23:16

One of their finest offerings .. less alt-metal more old slipknot sound than the last 2 albums.

I felt the same way, if they're not careful they'll be considered nu-metal again lol
----
Oh Glorious Metal
10.08.2019 - 02:57
Rating: 6
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
First listen so my score might change in the future.

Honestly I miss energy in this record. It has its moments that's for sure. But I get a similar feeling to the one that I had with the last Disturbed album. Not necessarily in terms of the quality of music (because I think this one is much better in that aspect) but in terms of flow. There's so many slower paced stuff in here that it kind of overwhelms the more energetic parts of the album.

Some of the energetic harder hitting parts have some poppy feel to it. Sometimes a bit too much for my taste and other times I really dig them. So about 50/50 for me. Same goes for the more slower paced experimental tracks. I dig "Spiders" but "My Pain" on the other hand I find quite disappointing.

And those short intermezzos like: Death Because Of Death and What's Next are only breaking the flow of the album even more imo.

I don't know, this just doesn't work for me (at least not after the first listen). The more I think about it, the more I find this 6/10 pretty mild. On the other hand the parts that did work for me, immediately clicked with me so that's definitely something I can praise about this record.
10.08.2019 - 07:29
MH_WarWizard
Written by flightoficarus on 09.08.2019 at 22:34

I was watching your video and one thing i agree on is that "Not long for this world" should have been the last track. Cool video.
----
Oh Glorious Metal
10.08.2019 - 07:53
VileVick-Bryant
Written by flightoficarus on 09.08.2019 at 22:34

Just to let you know I subbed
10.08.2019 - 13:34
s_t_s
Written by tominator on 10.08.2019 at 02:57

First listen so my score might change in the future.

Honestly I miss energy in this record. It has its moments that's for sure. But I get a similar feeling to the one that I had with the last Disturbed album. Not necessarily in terms of the quality of music (because I think this one is much better in that aspect) but in terms of flow. There's so many slower paced stuff in here that it kind of overwhelms the more energetic parts of the album.

Some of the energetic harder hitting parts have some poppy feel to it. Sometimes a bit too much for my taste and other times I really dig them. So about 50/50 for me. Same goes for the more slower paced experimental tracks. I dig "Spiders" but "My Pain" on the other hand I find quite disappointing.

And those short intermezzos like: Death Because Of Death and What's Next are only breaking the flow of the album even more imo.

I don't know, this just doesn't work for me (at least not after the first listen). The more I think about it, the more I find this 6/10 pretty mild. On the other hand the parts that did work for me, immediately clicked with me so that's definitely something I can praise avout this record.

My very feeling ! When Unsainted came out I instantly loved it but it doesn't reflect most of the album. It reminds me of In Flames latest I The Mask : there are about 4 great songs (voices, I am above, burn and I the Mask) but the rest is so mellow, slow and boring ! What a waste ! Will try to listen to this Slipknot album again but I don't "feel" it so I guess there will be no second chance...
10.08.2019 - 17:59
Nejde
CommunityManager
Been listening to the album quite a lot and I must say that Solway Firth probably is my favourite song on the album and should've have been one of the first tracks instead of last. It got a really heavy and catchy melody that gets you hooked almost immediately which could've set up the rest of the album nicely.

And I don't mind the clean vocals because they still got this gloomy heaviness. Although, I grew listening to a lot of metalcore so I really like the mix of clean vocals and growl.

Also I'm listening to the Japanese Edition which includes All Out Life. That song reminds me a lot of Iowa for the most part and that album is imo their best album by far.

8/10 for me.
11.08.2019 - 15:21
Nero Forte is almost perfect but fucking hell that corey's WATCH THIS? is so lame and overproduced fuck..
Spiders - best song
11.08.2019 - 21:01
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Written by s_t_s on 10.08.2019 at 13:34

My very feeling ! When Unsainted came out I instantly loved it but it doesn't reflect most of the album. It reminds me of In Flames latest I The Mask : there are about 4 great songs (voices, I am above, burn and I the Mask) but the rest is so mellow, slow and boring ! What a waste ! Will try to listen to this Slipknot album again but I don't "feel" it so I guess there will be no second chance...

I've been putting off listening to the latest In Flames record. I really should give it at least a chance. I was just so disappointed with Battles and I want to avoid another disappointment like it. Only heard the 3 songs they released before the abum came out. I remember I'm above as being ok (wasn't blown away but didn't dislike it either). But that second track was quite abysmal imo. Then the 3rd one was if I remember correctly the title track. Te chorus of that one didn't really work for me but other then that it wasn't bad (but not really memorable either for me). But that doesn't mean that there aren't good tracks on that record. I mean even on Battles I found a song that I liked (Wallflower) so...

As for this one, exactly like you said Unsainted is one that I like as well. But it's not very representative for the rest of the album. And the slower tracks, I like albums which have a slower track here or there (to give a nice breather from time to time) but like I said there's just too much of it for my personal taste. So yeah have to agree with you on that as well.

I'm not a diehard Slipknot fan but I do like quite a lot of their stuff. But the things that I like about their stuff isn't really present here. It's like you said "the feel" just isn't there (or rather the feel I want from them).
11.08.2019 - 21:15
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by tominator on 11.08.2019 at 21:01

've been putting off listening to the latest In Flames record. I really should give it at least a chance.

Why?

Do you really have that much time on your hands?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
11.08.2019 - 21:38
s_t_s
Written by RaduP on 11.08.2019 at 21:15

Written by tominator on 11.08.2019 at 21:01

've been putting off listening to the latest In Flames record. I really should give it at least a chance.

Why?

I don't mean to start an off topic here but really there are songs I enjoy in I The Mask/In Flames. This is the reason why I was so fucking disappointed when I could listen to the whole album ! I feel almost the same here, even though slow songs are not bad this is not what I expected from Slipknot. I will get back to The Gray Chapter instead.
12.08.2019 - 02:40
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Written by RaduP on 11.08.2019 at 21:15

Why?

Maybe I do

Maybe use it as background music when I play a game or something, if I really dislike an album when doing that, then that means it simply is not worth another listen. But from the 3 tracks I've heard so far 2 of those are perfect for background music (but nothing more for me personally). That other one might be the worst In Flames song I've ever heard. I can't imagine the rest of the songs being worse.

Who knows though maybe there is one or two songs that I like on it. I mean... Battles gets a lower score on this site and at least it had one song on it that I liked.

If it turns out that I have the same feeling with it as I have with this Slipknot record. Then that's at least an improvement over the previous In Flames record...
12.08.2019 - 10:49
Rating: 7
X-FrEaK
I like the album, but from the first three songs (All out Life - it should have definitely been part of the tracklist, Unsainted and Solway) I was expecting a little bit more. Probably better than the last two yes nevertheless this is not Iowa v2.

My rating would be... 7.5
----
20.08.2019 - 14:30
Overrwatcher
This honestly reminds me why I used to love Slipknot. First listen I was hooked, second listen I think I like this even more than Iowa. Solway Firth, Nero Forte, Birth Of The Cruel, Spiders, so many songs here are standouts to me. Even Unsainted grew on me.

I disagree with the initial "Iowa 2.0" advertising that the band did, this actually comes off a lot more like their debut for me. It's best appreciated as its own album though, and it's certainly the best thing they've released since Iowa.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
05.09.2019 - 21:44
Rating: 10
Big-Al
Best Slipknot album since Iowa!
This is great!
----

I drink moosepiss

Hits total: 12709 | This month: 40