Album: Traveller
Style: Heavy metal
Release date: 2003

01. The Spinward Marches
02. High Passage / Low Passage
03. Asteroid Belts
04. Professor's Theme
05. Vargr Moon
06. Vargr Theme / Confrontation (Genetic Prophesy)
07. Baltech's Lament
08. Gene-ocide
09. Curse Of Humaniti
10. The Final Gambit
11. The Spinward Marches (Return)
12. Addendum Galactus

Almost ten years ago, a debate took place between an internet friend of mine and some other guy. That other guy's opinion was that truly great metal was no longer being released in the 2000s. After some back-and-forth between the two sides, my friend said the following: "Go listen to Slough Feg's album Traveller, you won't find much to complain about." The debate was over and my friend stood triumphant, because when it comes to Slough Feg's fourth album, there indeed isn't much to complain about; Traveller is quite simply an epic masterwork.

"But isn't 'epic' one of the most overused words when it comes to describing metal bands?" I hear you ask. "Hasn't the word become a synonym for cheesiness?" I also hear someone ask. Well, yes and yes, but Traveller is an album that - like quite a few other albums by Slough Feg - has earned that compliment and has earned it the hard way. There is no epic symphonic soundscape here, there is nothing pretentious, there are no bells and whistles and tricks, just great melodies, cool solos and riffs, riffs, riffs, fast riffs, slower riffs, mid-tempo riffs - this album has riffs. And while there are more quality riffs on this album than some bands have in their entire discography, the album doesn't become overwhelming or overcrowded with ideas. Traveller is a well-balanced album in addition to being a well-written album. In fact, one might say that Slough Feg's ability to pump out awesome riffs is rivalled only by their inability to market their music to a wider audience.

This is where you come in, dear reader. If you like the good, no-nonsense type of heavy metal, then this album is for you. It has riffs, it has an accessible sound, pretty good vocals (though not even close to the best vocals you've ever heard), a fun concept/story, and it has riffs. About the only serious complaint one could have about this album is that it is not terribly original, but when considering everything Traveller gets right, that is easily forgiven. While choosing the best Slough Feg album might be difficult, Traveller is certainly a serious candidate for the title and thus a good entry point for new listeners and an excellent introduction into Slough Feg's impressive body of work.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by Metren | 22.03.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 16 users
17.05.2019 - 00:46
nikarg

100% agreed

Hits total: 3488 | This month: 7