04. Rainbow Coil
05. Aria Of Jeweled Tears
06. Downward
07. Armory Of Obsidian Glass
08. Silmaril
09. Angels Gather Here
10. Ygramul The Many
11. Cellar Of Doors

Four albums and ten years in, Full Of Hell have proven time and time again that they're far from your "ordinary" grindcore band. And that's as good a factor as any that keeps me coming back to them.

At this point in their career it feels almost inaccurate to refer to Full Of Hell simply as grindcore. Sure, you could still probably loosely refer to them as such, but they've also become so much more. Weeping Choir, the latest effort from this riproaring foursome, sits at an interesting place in their discography, feeling almost self referential in the sense that now Full Of Hell appear to be taking primary influence not from any outside party, but rather from their own prior material. The album thus feels like something of a grand encapsulation of everything they've yet done: there's a bit of the riff heavy, powerviolence approach from their debut here, some of the industrial and harsh noise antics from Rudiments, and of course the ugly undershades of black and death metal from Trumpeting Ecstasy get thrown in as well for good measure.

Indeed, if there's one aspect of Weeping Choir that's most impressive, it's Full Of Hell's ability to blend so many disparate genre influences together and maintain a sense of the unexpected in just under 25 minutes of music. A first impression from the album's opening track may lead one to believe they're sitting comfortably in the black/death-infused, Trumpeting Ecstasy-esque grind sound, but soon enough a midtempo approach more reminiscent of the band's earlier material rears its head on a track like "Thundering Hammers." To keep things from becoming too predictable, noise-heavy tracks such as "Rainbow Coil" and "Angels Gather Here" may pop up as well. Further still, another curveball enters the picture in the form of the almost drone doomy "Army Of Obsidian Glass," featuring guest vocals from the highly talented Lingua Ignota.

Perhaps more than ever, Weeping Choir demonstrates that Full Of Hell are a band not content to sit in any one area for too long a time, both between their albums as well as within each individual album. Consistently determined to challenge themselves, here they use their own material as a reference point, transitioning seamlessly through the various aspects of their musical personality while maintaining a brooding, unrelenting aura throughout. Becoming increasingly unusual and unhinged as they press onward, Weeping Choir arguably represents a peak in Full Of Hell's sonic experimenting, and raises the bar of anticipation high for where they may go from here.

Like filthy, punishing jamz? Then hop to it.

Written on 24.05.2019 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 93 users
24.05.2019 - 16:00
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I would like to file a restraining order on this album. It left me maimed.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
24.05.2019 - 16:07
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 24.05.2019 at 16:00

I would like to file a restraining order on this album. It left me maimed.

Parental Advisory sticker needed
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.05.2019 - 20:11
silenius

Album of the year so far for me
24.05.2019 - 20:23
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by silenius on 24.05.2019 at 20:11

Album of the year so far for me

Not a bad pick for that in the slightest
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.05.2019 - 22:17
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I agree because I could never get into grindcore, yet this band is something else. Obsessed with them right now.
24.05.2019 - 23:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Unhealer on 24.05.2019 at 22:17

I agree because I could never get into grindcore, yet this band is something else. Obsessed with them right now.

That's an interesting point, I'm sure they could pull a lot of new fans in with the extent to which they sort of cross over with other genres. I mostly got into grind and other hardcore-influenced metal through sludge, so when I first heard Full Of Hell's debut (which is super riff heavy and groovy, I don't think calling it "sludgey" would be too big a stretch) I was instantly in love.
----

~ II. VII
28.05.2019 - 02:34
nikarg

This review is everything I think about this album
28.05.2019 - 03:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by nikarg on 28.05.2019 at 02:34

This review is everything I think about this album

It's a real grower, I feel like I enjoy it more and more with each spin. At under half an hour too, it's not really a listen that requires that much of a commitment to. Full Of Hell's debut has been my favorite from them up to this point, but that could probably change with a few more plays through this.
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 2539 | This month: 6