Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Stream First New Track Online

September 27th is the official release date that has been set for Opeth's new record In Cauda Venenum. The group tracked the album in both English and Swedish language versions. Today, the band has unveiled a bi-lingual visualizer for the first new song, "Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör" / "Heart In Hand". Check it out.

Commenting on the new song, vocalist/guitarist/songwriter Mikael Åkerfeldt says: "Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör" or "Heart In Hand" as it's called in English is one of the first couple of songs I wrote for In Cauda Venenum. I immediately knew that it would probably be favoured by 'the powers that be' when talks of future singles for the record would commence. And I was right. I generally leave it up to the labels or managements to pick the so-called singles. I'm indifferent as I put an equal amount of dedication into all songs, so it doesn't matter all that much to me. I guess it's one of the more straightforward songs on the album. A rather rocking little thing. It's got one of the "happy mistakes" in it too. Mendez bass broke down in the middle of recording. At the time he played an old Hofner Beatles-esque bass guitar that started humming real bad, but it sounded so good we immediately decided to keep it in there. I'd be putting myself down if I said that noise is the best part of the song, but it's up there. I like when stuff happens out of your control, and it actually adds to the piece. This is the first full taster of the new Opeth album, and of course I hope you like it. All the songs on the new album are different from each other and therefore equally representable in my view. Enjoy!"

Regarding the sonic direction of the new record, Åkerfeldt adds: "For us, at this stage with In Cauda Venenum, heaviness isn't guitars tuned down with screaming vocals over the top. That's not necessarily what I call 'heavy' music these days. I can listen to Korn and say, 'OK, that's heavy'. But it doesn't really mean anything to me. I mean, I catch up on things in magazines or online. I read about bands that have the 'heaviest record ever', and I'm not too impressed by that. OK, it's cool but what does it say? What does it mean? It's an impossible mission, to be the heaviest. That's been done before. Over time, I got tired of that tag. Of course, when I was younger it meant everything to me. I was always on the pursuit for heaviness in my youth, trying to find the next level of heaviness. First it was death metal, then it was bands like Meshuggah, but heaviness is now more about emotions, heavy chord progressions, music that has feelings. Heaviness doesn't mean Meshuggah anymore, although indeed they're a fucking heavy band. I'm not trying to tap into that anymore."

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 12.07.2019 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   Visited by: 394 users
12.07.2019 - 15:29
Khold Baroness
Opeth is Opeth...singular band and emotions
12.07.2019 - 15:35
Metren
Dreadrealm
On first listen, the song sounds boring, but I am sure that repeat listens will reveal that the song is actually bad.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
12.07.2019 - 16:14
Liafev
Written by Metren on 12.07.2019 at 15:35

On first listen, the song sounds boring, but I am sure that repeat listens will reveal that the song is actually bad.

The same could probably be said about your comment ^^
12.07.2019 - 16:27
Daniell
_爱情_
elite

On first listen, Dreadrealm sounds boring, but I am sure that repeat listens will reveal that Dreadrealm is actually bad.
12.07.2019 - 16:29
Mercurial
Written by Liafev on 12.07.2019 at 16:14

Okay, listen to his comment for a few hours and get back to us to see if it's bad.
12.07.2019 - 16:29
BlankFile
Wow... this if fucking awsome. Are they really back?
12.07.2019 - 16:32
Mercurial
Written by Daniell on 12.07.2019 at 16:27

On first listen, Dreadrealm sounds boring, but I am sure that repeat listens will reveal that Dreadrealm is actually bad.

If you're getting that salty this early in the thread then you might want to take a shower.
12.07.2019 - 16:34
Liafev
Written by Mercurial on 12.07.2019 at 16:29

Written by Liafev on 12.07.2019 at 16:14

Okay, listen to his comment for a few hours and get back to us to see if it's bad.

I'd rather forget it to be honest.
12.07.2019 - 16:36
infernalius
This was the confirmation that the Opeth that everyone loved, is dead for some years now.
This is a diferent band, with a completely diferent sound and vibe, and i don't believe they're ever coming back.

I'm not saiyng is good or bad, it's just something else.
12.07.2019 - 16:59
Metren
Dreadrealm

I didn't expect such a lame attempt at a low blow from You, to be honest.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
12.07.2019 - 17:03
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Mercurial on 12.07.2019 at 16:32

If you're getting that salty this early in the thread then you might want to take a shower.

Agreed. Also, that response makes no sense no matter how you look at it, but it is not the first time this has happened. I also expressed my dislike for (I think it was) Elderwind's latest on that thread only for someone to post (as their first comment on the site no less): "I'd rather listen to this than Dreadrealm." It really does disappoint when people take criticism - including criticism written in a crude manner - so personally that they have to bring up my music being bad in their opinion (if they've even listened to it at all) as some sort of comeback.

EDIT: Back on topic, the song is bad.
----
12.07.2019 - 17:17
Mercurial
Written by Metren on 12.07.2019 at 17:03

Agreed. Also, that response makes no sense no matter how you look at it, but it is not the first time this has happened. I also expressed my dislike for (I think it was) Elderwind's latest on that thread only for someone to post (as their first comment on the site no less): "I'd rather listen to this than Dreadrealm." It really does disappoint when people take criticism - including criticism written in a crude manner - so personally that they have to bring up my music being bad in their opinion (if they've even listened to it at all) as some sort of comeback.

EDIT: Back on topic, the song is bad.

Never understimate people's ability to get offended. Even ex-staff lel
12.07.2019 - 17:28
Deviant
Written by BlankFile on 12.07.2019 at 16:29

Wow... this if fucking awsome. Are they really back?

Yeah man, this is good stuff. After being unable to get into Pale Communion and Sorceress, I'm seriously digging this. To me it is reminiscent of their old sound without trying to recycle old work, and of course without growls.
12.07.2019 - 17:35
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Mercurial on 12.07.2019 at 17:17

Never understimate people's ability to get offended. Even ex-staff lel

It would seem so... On some level, I can understand people taking offense tbh... Opeth are - or rather used to be - a band capable of delivering albums and tracks that had the potential to be life-changing, certainly for aspiring musicians. Heck, I might not have bought my first guitar if it weren't for Opeth blowing me away with their 90s and early 2000s material and turning me into a firm metalhead. When one falls head over heels in love with a band's music to the point where they can't imagine their life without that, taking offense comes easy at times. I suppose almost everyone has had a moment where someone casually verbally shits on art that they love and they become "triggered" as the kids say these days. I can understand that. But yeah, it IS bizarre seeing this kind of behavior from a long-time elite contributor. I just hope it starts and ends here.

Also...

Written by Mercurial on 12.07.2019 at 16:29

I fucking love You, man.
----
12.07.2019 - 17:36
Opethian
I dig it. Here's hoping the entire album can deliver a solid experience. Cheers
12.07.2019 - 17:58
Maco
Pvt Funderground
"heaviness is now more about emotions, heavy chord progressions, music that has feelings. Heaviness doesn't mean Meshuggah anymore, although indeed they're a fucking heavy band. I'm not trying to tap into that anymore."

And this are the news with the old fart out of touch. Stay tuned for more.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.07.2019 - 18:12
Mercurial
Written by Maco on 12.07.2019 at 17:58

And this are the news with the old fart out of touch.

12.07.2019 - 18:14
Czerny Reiter
I haven't kept hopes for Opeth since Sorceress (despite liking both Heritage and Pale Communion, so not even a matter of sound) but this track is just weak. Here's to wishing that the novelty brought by this album doesn't end up reduced to the bilingual gimmick.

Tangential to the topic but relevantly, I rather encourage anyone to give Dreadrealm's debut a whirl. Excellent wintery black metal.
12.07.2019 - 18:14
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Mercurial on 12.07.2019 at 18:12

Written by Maco on 12.07.2019 at 17:58

And this are the news with the old fart out of touch.

It sounded cool in my mind.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.07.2019 - 18:19
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Maco on 12.07.2019 at 18:14

It sounded cool in my mind.

That's what Mikael and co thought when they wrote this boring wankfest of a song too
----
12.07.2019 - 19:52
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Heavy as fuck!! Oh, wait a second, I was listening to Meshuggah and not the new Opeth song...
12.07.2019 - 20:33
musclassia
staff
I actually like this song more than I remember generally enjoying the Sorceress and Heritage material; there's quite a few bits in there that work nicely to me. However, there is still this awkwardness to their prog rock writing on these more recent albums that I find offputting, like there's this grating frantic vibe that wasn't really present during their heavier years. I'm still optimistic for this new album equalling/beating Pale Communion for my favourite post-Watershed album, but not expecting more than that. I like the softer stretch at the end, feels very retro but it's pleasant.
12.07.2019 - 20:43
nikarg
staff
Completely meaningless comparison but I'll take Dreadrealm any day over Opeth, either with growls or without.

As for the track itself, I'll just paraphrase a part of the best review ever written in Metal Storm history: "Go get a job, hippie. I don't care who you are - seven minutes is *way* too long for a song. And the song 'Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör' is a whole freaking 17 minutes!!!! If Mikasa Ackermann is really this awesome genius songwriter, how come he can't figure out how to get to the freaking point already?"
12.07.2019 - 21:54
Zap

Shut the fuck up Danny...
12.07.2019 - 21:59
Zap
Ok, so Mikael isn't as interested in heavy music as he was way back when. That's fine, just say that instead of trying to explain how soft music is now heavier than heavy music or some weird out of touch nonsense.
12.07.2019 - 22:09
Metren
Dreadrealm
I've changed my signature to stop threads from being derailed in the future.
----
12.07.2019 - 22:29
Nicko's Nose
Written by nikarg on 12.07.2019 at 20:43

And the song 'Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör' is a whole freaking 17 minutes!!!!

No. It is not.
12.07.2019 - 22:35
nikarg
staff
Written by Nicko's Nose on 12.07.2019 at 22:29

Written by nikarg on 12.07.2019 at 20:43

And the song 'Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör' is a whole freaking 17 minutes!!!!

No. It is not.

It was an intentional mistake in the vein of the review I quoted.
12.07.2019 - 23:42
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
I can't be bothered to answer to some of the posts here, because no one got my point.

The song is half decent by the way.
12.07.2019 - 23:47
Nicko's Nose
Written by infernalius on 12.07.2019 at 16:36

This was the confirmation that the Opeth that everyone loved, is dead for some years now.
This is a diferent band, with a completely diferent sound and vibe, and i don't believe they're ever coming back.

I'm not saiyng is good or bad, it's just something else.

Nah it still sounds like Opeth even if it is less heavy and has no growls.

Hits total: 5338 | This month: 8