Album: Among Majestic Ruin
Style: Death doom metal
Release date: 1997

01. Relic Of A Darkened Past
02. In Ashen Tears (Thus I Cry)
03. Travesty
04. Basking Under A Blacksun Dawning
05. Invalid Prodigy

It's a shame when great bands go away almost unnoticed, after only a few works that, ultimately, didn't get enough exposure to the community. This is not an uncommon situation in Doom Metal, that, despite its strong legion of fans, is understandably a style rarely associated with famous bands. But it saddens me when I pick an album by talents like Morgion, that their potential has never been fully recognized. But it's there, in "Solinari" and "Cloaked By Ages, Crowned In Earth" for all to hear, and even their debut, this "Among Majestic Ruin" was already fascinating.

What strikes me the most when listening to it is how much Morgion changed after it, but always managed to maintain a certain identity and atmosphere. Granted that this one will seem more primitive and heavier, but they never lost some characteristics, it's a much more subtle evolution than what My Dying Bride or Paradise Lost did, for example. Throughout little more than half an hour we get five songs, each so depressing and slow that it's really impressive how varied and different they are.

"Relic Of A Darkened Past" will denounce one of the main influences for acts like Mourning Beloveth, you'll recognize the disturbing growls and heavy riffs, so present that the song gets dominantly Death Metal at some points. "In Ashen Tears (Thus I Cry)" has a beautiful intro based on acoustic guitar and develops very well; I particularly like the use of organ in several parts. "Travesty" is an instrumental song and is probably my favourite here, oddly enough. It gets pretty mysterious sometimes, but also epic, with trumpets and truly majestic keyboards and guitar work. "Basking Under A Blacksun Dawning" has a good start, but it's when the clean vocals kick in that it gets really interesting. "Invalid Prodigy" gets to be the heaviest song, even solos are included, it goes out to remember how unpolished Doom Metal can be at times.

Morgion had their personal style, and left an important legacy that should not be forgotten. I have to confess I discovered their albums in a reversed chronological order, which is actually not a bad order if you are struggling to choose a way to go through their discography. "Among Majestic Ruin" was not yet the masterpiece of gloom and darkness that the two following albums were to be, but it certainly has its relevance. Recommended.

Written by Passenger | 24.08.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 12 users
14.07.2019 - 21:47
Rating: 9
Redel
Hey man, great review.
I mean, especially since it made me check out this album.
And I am stunned by this album. Excellent old-school death doom.
Travesty is also my favourite. Ashen tears excellent, too. But this short album can be spun troughout.
Yes, I also can hear some Mourning Beloveth every here and there.
What a shame that I am writing the first comment on your 13-years-old review right now.
04.11.2020 - 12:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
that their potential has never been fully recognized

Well its 1995, did they had internet no and USA was not known whit death/doom, that genre dominate from European bands, it was much harder to realize potential. Now I believe this band maybe wont get more money, but will get more fans and small tours for sure in boat sides of the Ocean.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 3979 | This month: 9