Release date: May 2019

01. Sinking Transient Waters
02. The Reek Of Loss
03. Echoes Emanate Forms
04. Mycelium
05. Vanishing
06. Circling The Between

I'm not letting this one slide.

I considered reviewing this when it came out, but alas I don't have all the time in the world to write, and I also doubt our readers have all the time in the world to read either. There are a lot of albums I regret not doing, but I don't ever go back and do something about it. But now that I found enough of a window between releases I care about, I may right some wrongs. So why in the world did I choose a OSDM album to come back to out of all the things I possibly could have. And to this I honestly don't have a clear answer other than that it felt like the right thing to do once I relistened to Cadaver Circulation.

With the huge number of OSDM releases nowadays it's quite hard to tell apart the ones that will stick and the ones that will fade from memory, especially considering that most of them no matter how great they sound don't really bring anything new to the table. And with a slight feeling that OSDM is slowly on its downward slope after some very fruitful years, a new album doesn't really have many chances to stick out. But there's something about this Finnish brand of death-doom that really hits the nail on its fucking head. Whether it be classics like Rippikoulu or newer iterations like Hooded Menace or Desolate Shrine, the sound feels unique to its other counterparts. Which is probably why I love Krypts so much too.

While death metal is still a dominant sound in the album, a lot of it is so melodically slow that it's clear that the basis of the album is formed by cavernous doom, at times reaching funeral levels of glacial pace, at times pounding pummeling riffs and blasts, but never leaving the nauseating feeling of doom. Atmosphere is created mostly through how dense the sound feels, even though it's clearly an album with a lot of focus on creating atmosphere, it still brings some intricate songwriting in its pace changes and obtuse riffs. I listen to my fair share of death and death doom demos, courtesy of Clandestine Cuts, but what a lot of those miss is having the atmosphere that can only be provided by the production that albums like Cadaver Circulation, where they don't feel polished but the sound feels much fuller, no matter how much I enjoy raw production as well.

And just look at the damn cover art. It that doesn't persuade you how murky this swamp of an album is, I sure won't.

Just like Hooded Menace did last year with Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed, Krypts continue to showcase Finland's expertise in crafting immersive atmospheres with their death doom. It might be the vodka.

Written on 21.07.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 104 users
21.07.2019 - 22:25
nikarg

Quote:

I'm pleased you didn't, otherwise I would have missed it.

I see the resemblance between Hooded Menace and Krypts, but I'd call the former death/doom and the latter doom/death in the sense that HM are more doom with dm vocals and Krypts more dm with doomy atmosphere and sometimes pace. Poteito/potato some would say but anyway.
21.07.2019 - 22:56
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 21.07.2019 at 22:25

Quote:

I'm pleased you didn't, otherwise I would have missed it.

I see the resemblance between Hooded Menace and Krypts, but I'd call the former death/doom and the latter doom/death in the sense that HM are more doom with dm vocals and Krypts more dm with doomy atmosphere and sometimes pace. Poteito/potato some would say but anyway.

I found both of them to lean more towards the doom side than the death side. Like you said, not very important, since they're both really good
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
22.07.2019 - 21:33
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
I also wanted to review this album in my webzine in Hungarian, but because of lack of time and the lack of interest from the readers (mainly mainstream lovers) I have to skip this one. Glad you did it, great review and one of the best LP of 2019!
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
22.07.2019 - 21:38
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Sentenced Odiin on 22.07.2019 at 21:33

I also wanted to review this album in my webzine in Hungarian, but because of lack of time and the lack of interest from the readers (mainly mainstream lovers) I have to skip this one. Glad you did it, great review and one of the best LP of 2019!

Part of the reason why I love writing for MS is that there's relative interest in less mainstream stuff as well. Keep writing regardless.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
24.07.2019 - 12:16
Heresiarch88

Nice, didn't know about this band until now, I must check out their other stuff as well. I get some slight Ataraxie vibes, especially in the faster parts.
17.12.2021 - 13:21
Rating: 9
DarkWingedSoul

Another gem discovered today...thanks Radu for the review.

Hits total: 3283 | This month: 4