07. Culling Voices
08. Chocolate Chip Trip
09. 7empest
10. Mockingbeat [bonus]

The Biggest Letdown Of 2019

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
30/08/2019; a day of huge importance. Finally, after so long, millions of people could at long last stop making the same tired jokes about waiting for the new Tool album.

Read more ››
published 02.09.2019 | Comments (17)

Found in 42 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 106   Visited by: 1225 users
30.08.2019 - 09:58
Rating: 9
Lord Slothrop

I thought it would, but it didn't. Disappoint that is.
30.08.2019 - 10:48
Theodore V
Account deleted
It's obviously a great work of art but it bores the hell out of me. It sounds like a combination between a long-ass intro and a soundtrack...
30.08.2019 - 11:37
Desha
delicious dish
Written by mz on 27.08.2019 at 23:37

Pneuma could as well be the best song tool has ever done.fucking love the stabbing vocals.

Pneuma reminds me a lot of Disposition or songs like that, because the second it was over I couldn't remember a thing about it. It's interesting how this band can have fanbases that so widely differ in taste lol
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
30.08.2019 - 12:08
Rating: 8
Kvothe

Written by X-FrEaK on 30.08.2019 at 09:56

Written by Kvothe on 30.08.2019 at 06:25

I still don't know what to think about this album. I've heard it several times but I can't process it. At the moment it only stays at 8, maybe in the future I have more clear that I think since, well, it has been 13 years and I still don't believe it.

You cant process yet it stays at a "very good rating"? Only this year I started to listen to Tool seriously, because i bought tickets for their show in Lisbon and I had heard their shows were really worth it. And although I started to like Tool, im not a Tool fanboy (normally you either go full fanboy, or you dont listen to Tool). I think giving 8 to an album you cant process is definitely fanboyism.

I cant process the new Opeth, and never in my life I would give their recent albums even a 7, and I consider myself an Opeth fanboy.

I give it an 8 since in fact this album if it has very good songs and passages, it's just that I still can't see it as a whole. Giving this album a 7 would seem a bit hasty, and since I can't give it a 7.5 I simply give it an 8. That doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't change over time, surely that rating could vary.
----
Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
30.08.2019 - 12:14
Rating: 10
Mario Montes

Written by Guest on 30.08.2019 at 10:48

It's obviously a great work of art but it bores the hell out of me. It sounds like a combination between a long-ass intro and a soundtrack...

Well, Tool is not the kind of band you fall in love with in the first listen tbh
30.08.2019 - 12:15
X-FrEaK

Written by Kvothe on 30.08.2019 at 12:08

Written by X-FrEaK on 30.08.2019 at 09:56

Written by Kvothe on 30.08.2019 at 06:25

I still don't know what to think about this album. I've heard it several times but I can't process it. At the moment it only stays at 8, maybe in the future I have more clear that I think since, well, it has been 13 years and I still don't believe it.

You cant process yet it stays at a "very good rating"? Only this year I started to listen to Tool seriously, because i bought tickets for their show in Lisbon and I had heard their shows were really worth it. And although I started to like Tool, im not a Tool fanboy (normally you either go full fanboy, or you dont listen to Tool). I think giving 8 to an album you cant process is definitely fanboyism.

I cant process the new Opeth, and never in my life I would give their recent albums even a 7, and I consider myself an Opeth fanboy.

I give it an 8 since in fact this album if it has very good songs and passages, it's just that I still can't see it as a whole. Giving this album a 7 would seem a bit hasty, and since I can't give it a 7.5 I simply give it an 8. That doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't change over time, surely that rating could vary.

Man...that 7.5 turning into an 8... LOL that happens to me so often, even recently with the new Slipknot I had the same struggle but opposite, I wanted to rate 7.5 because I though 8 was too much, so I floored it to 7 but...I really needed that 0.5, 7 seems too low lolol
----
30.08.2019 - 12:18
Desha
delicious dish
Tool so far for me had great songs mixed with lots of filler songs on every album, so I am happy they are breaking with this tradition and took the bold new step of releasing an album that only consists of filler and nothing else!
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
30.08.2019 - 12:31
Kvothe

Written by X-FrEaK on 30.08.2019 at 12:15

Man...that 7.5 turning into an 8... LOL that happens to me so often, even recently with the new Slipknot I had the same struggle but opposite, I wanted to rate 7.5 because I though 8 was too much, so I floored it to 7 but...I really needed that 0.5, 7 seems too low lolol

I think that qualifying something with an objective thought by suppressing your internal fanboy is often very difficult, especially when you are passionate about something, and I am passionate about many things. Over the years I have learned not to be so rushed with my judgment about something, even so maybe giving it an 8 is actually rushed ...

But still I think that an 8 is good for now, since I have always believed that Tool's albums are excellent. I may end up realizing that this album deserves more, or I don't know ... I still need to listen to it many times, since maybe everyone has had a hard time digesting some Tool the first time you had it in front, just like Opeth
----
Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
30.08.2019 - 13:34
Rating: 6
AndreMarcos

In my opinion this is their weakest album. There seems to be an obsession in their songwriting that the songs have to be over 10 minutes for no particular reason, which makes them extremely bloated.
30.08.2019 - 13:49
Theodore V
Account deleted
Written by Mario Montes on 30.08.2019 at 12:14

Well, Tool is not the kind of band you fall in love with in the first listen tbh

I never said I listened to it once. Just because other people have different tastes, doesn't automatically mean that "they're doing it wrong".
30.08.2019 - 14:39
FR1DAY

This record will inevitably win a lot of awards and accolades. Good for the boys the have such a strong comeback.

However in my opinion the album is the most average Tool album you can get. Maynard is underwhelming and the album feels more like a long ass jam session than a well crafted prog rock piece.

If you compiled the most generic Tool songs in one album it would sound like Fear Inoculum.
30.08.2019 - 15:51
Mario Montes

Written by Guest on 30.08.2019 at 13:49

Written by Mario Montes on 30.08.2019 at 12:14

I never said I listened to it once. Just because other people have different tastes, doesn't automatically mean that "they're doing it wrong".

It wasn't my intention to tell you "you're listening to Tool the wrong way", not at all. I'm not that kind of pretentious jerk. And the smiley face wasn't ironic, was genuine sympathy.
30.08.2019 - 16:01
Theodore V
Account deleted
Written by Mario Montes on 30.08.2019 at 15:51

It wasn't my intention to tell you "you're listening to Tool the wrong way", not at all. I'm not that kind of pretentious jerk. And the smiley face wasn't ironic, was genuine sympathy.

No hard feelings brother!
30.08.2019 - 17:13
Rage10000

This album is better than anything I expected. Sure it lacks the rage of the earlier albums, but it delivers such quality in terms of musical diversity from start to finish. Really sophisticated. When the drum beat in Chocolate Chip Trip (a classic Tool filler song) started to go back and forth behind my eyelids, it was the final icing on the cake for this exquisite piece of prog. This is a musical masterpiece if youre OK that Maynard isn't as angry as he used to be. Let's face it, the guy sells wine, farms and runs restaurants. I'm sure he says "FUCK YOU!!!" from time to time, but probably not with quite the same zeal.
30.08.2019 - 17:44
Rating: 7
Hrodebert

Hmmm, is it just me or does this album sound like an A Perfect Circle album just with Tool guitars and longer songs. I would put myself in the Tool fan boy club, but where is the aggression. I'm not saying it is bad, but 13 years for a bit more complex A Perfect Circle album is a tad underwhelming.... I have gave it a few more listens and maybe years from now it is going to be like no growls Opeth to me but no it is just kinda boring right now, downgrading my vote to 7
30.08.2019 - 20:02
Zap
Tool have done what they had been doing for the past 13 years: not release any interesting music.
31.08.2019 - 06:46
Malaclypse

Nothing terribly impressive here especially with a 13 year wait. I thought this is progressive metal not copy and paste tool riffs and extend for 10 min. Certainly not terrible but not inspired either. I expected better.
31.08.2019 - 11:00
Rating: 7
Saif-Hoque

Good but not Great!!!
31.08.2019 - 13:11
Gumbert

No doubt the best of the year
31.08.2019 - 20:11
Akatash

These 86 minutes of run time only really felt like 78 minutes.
31.08.2019 - 23:43
NavyMetal

I purchased the album in hi res 96/24. Sounds really nice on hi res equipment so far. I haven't had a chance to listen to it all the way through, so I am going to reserve judgment. Hi res is definitely the way to go for an album like this if you have the right equipment.

Absolutely brilliant album. Every time I search for something to listen to, I keep going back to this album. I don't skip any tracks. Even the bonus instrumental tracks are enjoyable. If they can keep this up, I am greatly looking forward to their next release.
01.09.2019 - 02:10
VileVick-Bryant

Their's not a single song I dislike on this album, so I have to give it a good oh 10. Surprised this surpass two of my favorite bands releases, but hey that makes it even better then me being disappointed be it.
01.09.2019 - 05:19
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by AndreMarcos on 30.08.2019 at 13:34

In my opinion this is their weakest album. There seems to be an obsession in their songwriting that the songs have to be over 10 minutes for no particular reason, which makes them extremely bloated.

My favorite genre is post metal so this shit is right up my alley. I love it.
----
rekt
01.09.2019 - 16:03
LedZep

Written by Zap on 30.08.2019 at 20:02

Tool have done what they had been doing for the past 13 years: not release any interesting music.

Tbh I'm struggling to name a filler song on their 4 releases. I'm definitely not a crazed fanboy, but I really like their music. If longer songs aren't your thing then of course you're not gonna like this one, but it's a very solid release no matter at which angle I look at it. It was overhyped, and sure it's no Lateralus but in the end it's a very fine addition to their catalogue.
01.09.2019 - 22:35
Paz

"7empest" is by far the best song on the album.
02.09.2019 - 00:00
Metren
Dreadrealm
Yeah, 7empest is pretty decent. It's also got the best score this album could possibly deserve out of 10 right there in the title.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
02.09.2019 - 00:35
AndreMarcos

Written by tea[m]ster on 01.09.2019 at 05:19

Written by AndreMarcos on 30.08.2019 at 13:34

My favorite genre is post metal so this shit is right up my alley. I love it.

Fair enough man, if you enjoy it more power to you, I wish I would enjoy it as well but unfortunately I don't.
Btw I'm not that familiar with post metal. Do you have any bands that you recommend?
02.09.2019 - 11:05
gavdann

Aenima is one of my favourite albums of all time, Lateralus not far behind.
10,000 Days was a partial disappointment but enough good songs to definitely make it worthwhile.
I'm trying not to be too hasty but so far I've listened to Fear Inoculum all the way through twice and both of those were a real struggle. I've also nipped around the album quite a lot, trying to find a way in. I agree with some of the posts above. Previously Tool made long songs because there was a point in doing so. Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned for example never feel dull because they push and pull the listener in several directions, challenging them. On this album, that doesn't happen. The songs don't seem to go anywhere. Someone described it as Tool's most meditative album. I'd call it their most dull album.
03.09.2019 - 18:07
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Solid stuff, a few notable tracks, some fillers, but overall decent. These guys, no matter how moronic and annoying they are, particularly the singer, still have some chops left.
03.09.2019 - 21:47
InnerSelf
proofread free
Tool wasn't a part of my musical upbringing, I was never a big fan but always had an admiration of their stuff. That said, I absolutely love this album. Not a single boring moment and I know Maynard already has a cult around him but the dude elevates the already interesting music to another level.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.

Hits total: 22234 | This month: 224