07. Culling Voices
08. Chocolate Chip Trip
09. 7empest
10. Mockingbeat [bonus]

The Biggest Letdown Of 2019

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
30/08/2019; a day of huge importance. Finally, after so long, millions of people could at long last stop making the same tired jokes about waiting for the new Tool album.

Read more ››
published 02.09.2019 | Comments (17)

Found in 42 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 105   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1219 users
04.09.2019 - 02:32
Rating: 9
Drippy.Hippie

This may well be their best work to date! Well, either that or it's a fiercely close tie between 'Fear Inoculum' and 2001's 'Lateralus'. I'm glad to see that the band didn't become a lesser version of themselves after 13 fucking years!
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
06.09.2019 - 22:28
Rating: 6
Nick Carter

Can someone explain me why this album has 10 full minutes of unbearable interludes? They completely cut off the mood of the listener.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
06.09.2019 - 22:55
Nicko's Nose

Written by Nick Carter on 06.09.2019 at 22:28

Can someone explain me why this album has 10 full minutes of unbearable interludes? They completely cut off the mood of the listener.

Listen to the version without the interludes. There, problem solved.
07.09.2019 - 01:16
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
Chocolate Chip Trip is a kick-ass track.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
07.09.2019 - 16:23
Mark Ayoub

Physical releases have been impossible to find even in our dedicated heavy metal record stores where all the 1st pressings were sold out during pre-orders. The band announced a second release of the deluxe edition end of month retailing at US$45 or AU$110...Fuck you Australian high cost of living and shithouse exchange rate. For those who can't afford it or...pay bills in Australia...I hope its not another 13 years before a 'standard' version is released.
And to remain reasonably on topic. It's Tool, you need to listen to the album each day for 10,000 days to fully appreciate it.
----
It takes a lifetime to build a friendship
And a millisecond to destroy it
07.09.2019 - 19:48
Rating: 3
kingeryck

It sounds like a demo for 10,000 Days
09.09.2019 - 08:24
Iamgubbler

So much, yet so little.
----
I'm a weed in Hitler's bunker.
09.09.2019 - 08:32
Iamgubbler

Is there a genre for songs that are progressive in length but don't ever progress? Listening to Wings part 1&2 six times in a row is a more engaging experience.
----
I'm a weed in Hitler's bunker.
09.09.2019 - 08:56
JoHn Doe

----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
10.09.2019 - 08:13
Jeeers

11.09.2019 - 11:07
Tininho

So this is how it went for me:

1st listening: This is what i've been waiting for 13 years?!?
2nd listening: The song are too damn long!
3rd listening: I mean its not that bad...
4th listening: wait...
5th listening: What the f....
6th listening: Child wake up child ( screaming in the streets with headphones in ears while jamming air drums)
12.09.2019 - 01:09
Nick Carter

Written by Nicko's Nose on 06.09.2019 at 22:55

Listen to the version without the interludes. There, problem solved.

I still would like to know why did they made those 10 minutes
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
12.09.2019 - 21:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by AndreMarcos on 02.09.2019 at 00:35

Btw I'm not that familiar with post metal. Do you have any bands that you recommend?

Isis
Cult Of Luna
Dirge
Rosetta
Year Of No Light
----
rekt
12.09.2019 - 22:30
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

Weren't their other albums like that as well?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
13.09.2019 - 07:26
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Came into this with low expectations, having been a big Tool fan back in the 90s and early 2000s but pretty much forgot about them since there was nothing released for so long. Anyway, all that aside, I am enjoying this new album a lot. Bought the digital version and first thing I did was delete the three bonus tracks, just wanted the seven songs, no filler. Bloody awesome from start to finish.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
16.09.2019 - 02:08
Zαforαs

Btw I'm not that familiar with post metal. Do you have any bands that you recommend?

Toundra
17.09.2019 - 12:56
Rating: 7
Lunatic

Well, I'm not impressed. I expected more. Two or three decent songs... rest of it are old songs recycled.
----
Without music, life would be a mistake.
18.09.2019 - 13:50
Rating: 10
BetulaObscura

Since Lateralus it was obvious that Tool can't make anything better. It was their Opus Magnum. Period. Some folks prefer Aenima and I can understand it. Aenima was more "wild", more "raw". Lateralus was very "intellectual" & "precise".
10000 Days was like: half Aenima, half Lateralus. It was good - nothing more.

Fear... is very "save" album. It didn't show anything new. I don't care about it. It is dull. Tool progression is over. I have heard it all before. And every Tool fan feel and know it. This is very "pop" Tool album as well. All well known ingredients mixed in a very predictable way. Don't get me wrong: this is good album but nothing more.

There are some bands who play always "the same" and nobody wants to change it. Fans even expect it! But there are some other bands, like Tool, who are meant to develop, transcend, transgress. If they don't - they failed.
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
20.09.2019 - 00:45
AndreMarcos

Written by tea[m]ster on 12.09.2019 at 21:25

Isis
Cult Of Luna
Dirge
Rosetta
Year Of No Light

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check out a couple of them to familiarize myself more with the genre
23.09.2019 - 12:31
X-FrEaK

Written by AndreMarcos on 20.09.2019 at 00:45

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check out a couple of them to familiarize myself more with the genre

Listen to the new Cult of Luna
----
23.09.2019 - 13:42
AndreMarcos

Written by X-FrEaK on 23.09.2019 at 12:31

Listen to the new Cult of Luna

Will do. It already had caught my eye by being on 2019's top. Thank you for the recommendation
23.09.2019 - 15:58
Daniell
_爱情_

You've never heard Tool before, have you. These interludes are on all their albums starting with Aenima. I always skip them anyway.
26.09.2019 - 00:34
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Daniell on 23.09.2019 at 15:58

You've never heard Tool before, have you. These interludes are on all their albums starting with Aenima. I always skip them anyway.

I read that the vinyl only has seven tracks and the three filler tracks are listed as bonus tracks on the digital version I bought, so I just deleted them. With those tracks gone, this album is solid all the way.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.09.2019 - 13:42
tominator
At best deranged
I'm hovering between an 8 and 9 with this album. It's a good record imo. Strong first 2 opening tracks and a strong ending with Chocolate Chip Trip and 7empest. The bonus track stuff wasn't necessary imo though. Just like with the interludes on Slipknots latest album, I feel like they do more harm to the flow of the album than it adds something to the listening experience.

So yeah just like Ace Frawley said, those are probably tracks I'd just skip in future listens.
05.10.2019 - 16:09
(o> . )

Written by AndreMarcos on 30.08.2019 at 13:34

If you like black metal as well then you might like Deafheavn too, it's post
12.10.2019 - 20:41
Hrodebert

After a few more listens and going back and listening to Lateralus again, which I loved at the time, I have come to the conclusion that I think I just have grown bored with Tool.... I knew I never liked 10,000 days much but I did like Lateralus when it came out but not so much now, so an even softer prog Tool is why I wasn't really impressed with this album... It's a good well crafted album, but it seems I'm just bored with Tool
20.10.2019 - 14:49
Rating: 8
Stormm

Interesting album, but with issues. It's very toolish that's for sure. Songs are really long, sometimes for its own good. That cause repetitiveness. Some riffs stay for a really long time (Invincible, Culling Voices). 7empest, probably best song, starts by really cool way! Then Maynard comes with great vocals. But this part is quickly done and everything changes to some show off of Alex Jones that leads nowhere. It isn't bad. But nothing extraordinary or outstanding. Just good guitar work with cool guitar effects. But overall good album and I like it.
21.11.2019 - 13:13
JayMo4

Taste is subjective of course, but I'll never figure out how a record like this isn't even in the top 20 for 2019 but Soen is in the top four. There must be a lot of people here that think the Monkees did it better than the Beatles, and Justin Timberlake surpassed Michael Jackson.
11.01.2020 - 06:41
Hrodebert

Written by JayMo4 on 21.11.2019 at 13:13

Taste is subjective of course, but I'll never figure out how a record like this isn't even in the top 20 for 2019 but Soen is in the top four. There must be a lot of people here that think the Monkees did it better than the Beatles, and Justin Timberlake surpassed Michael Jackson.

I can only speak about my observations and why I have Soen albums rated higher than this Tool album. With Soen it's new band to me, yes doing some Tool and some Opeth things but at the same time it is new and something I enjoyed. Tool I compare to other Tool albums I loved and to that I rated it low because, just for me and I said this in an earlier post, it is a damn well crafted album but no aggression and way more prog just was a bit boring to me, just me. Not saying it is a bad album in anyway, I might just be chasing the dragon or have grown bored with Tool. And the other reason the votes might be the case there are tons more that hate tool so your are going to get a ton more low votes because of that.. Most people that know of Soen like them they don't have an inbuilt hate bias that would drive the score down
16.01.2020 - 12:58
JayMo4

Written by Hrodebert on 11.01.2020 at 06:41

the other reason the votes might be the case there are tons more that hate tool so your are going to get a ton more low votes because of that.. Most people that know of Soen like them they don't have an inbuilt hate bias that would drive the score down

That's actually a great point. Sometimes I forget how many people here give artificially low ratings to things they don't like just to lower the overall score. Soen probably isn't getting a bunch of people voting them 1/10 just because they're popular or "overrated." I still remember when the first Ne Obliviscaris album came out and the scores were so high that at a certain point the people that thought they were overrated started bombing the album with 1 scores just to bring it back to earth.

Hits total: 21981 | This month: 114